CB Situation

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wheaton4prez
Senior

CB Situation

Post by wheaton4prez »

I haven't seen the switch at defense made against USC mentioned much. I realize that they are trying to get the best guys on the field by putting both Boyett and Ward out there with Lewis at CB. But, it didn't seem to be working at all times with the Trojans able to pass to the edges pretty much automatically.

I'd like to see Harris out there more instead as a true CB. But, then, I'm not sure what to do about Ward/Boyett/Lewis. At least one of them would have to get fewer plays.

Ideas?
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Re: CB Situation

Post by Pontius »

I've wondered the same thing. Although, the defense certainly stepped up its play in the second half and many of the pass defense problems went away. It's hard because I think Harris is the best cover corner on the roster now, but I think, especially against Stanford, that having Lewis in at corner will be pretty big because of the need for tackling.
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

SC wasn't throwing on Javes, they were throwing on Talmadge. That Damien Williams for SC was making TJ look like little kid, catching out routes and curl routes, then beating Jackson to the edge for 10-12 yard 1st downs. Granted, had we had WT3, he would have been guarding DW for SC, but we don't so TJ is our best cover corner. Fortunately, he won't face speed like that again this season, except maybe against James Rodgers in the CW.
2012 Rose Bowl Champions
2013 Fiesta Bowl Champions

Still Dedicated to the Ducks Winning the Natty!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Are you sure? It looked to me like it was Lewis on that side. It was Jackson that was shutting down the pass on his side.

I don't see Lewis as a cover kind of guy as much as a physical DB. I think that Aliotti questioned Williams capability having just come off injury so thought Lewis could stay with him.

It could be that it will be a good combo against Stanford's run. But, if what they're saying is true, they can pass pretty well also and might try and copy what USC was able to do.
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

100% Sure, I was at the game and was getting pissed at Talmadge. Watch the game again, you'll see that the only real effective receiver for the Trojans was Damien Williams.
2012 Rose Bowl Champions
2013 Fiesta Bowl Champions

Still Dedicated to the Ducks Winning the Natty!
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

I noticed Lewis getting picked on early as well. He adjusted well enough in the second half. He definitely didn't look comfortable early on though.
BOOF it!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

NCDucks09 wrote:100% Sure, I was at the game and was getting pissed at Talmadge. Watch the game again, you'll see that the only real effective receiver for the Trojans was Damien Williams.
I was at the game also and was getting pissed at Aliotti for putting Lewis on Damien Williams, their only effective receiver.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

NCDucks09 wrote:100% Sure, I was at the game and was getting pissed at Talmadge. Watch the game again, you'll see that the only real effective receiver for the Trojans was Damien Williams.
I've watched the game a few times and TJIII has a number of really nice pass break ups. He wasn't the problem.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Attached a snapshot from the game showing Lewis (14) on Williams (18), running that screen-with-a-lot-of-room play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

A better one. :)

I think USC planned on going after us at corner assuming it would be Harris. But, saw Lewis in there instead and figured that was just as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wheaton4prez on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

It was absolutely Javes that they were picking on early
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I'm not too worried. The Trojans have been able to pass against everyone. I think Williams is a big time receiver no matter who guards him.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I was at the game too, and I saw Talmadge on his man every second of the game. He did a wonderful job. He just needs to do a better job of looking for the ball when it's up in the air. I feel like his back is always to the ball. Nevertheless, he was glued to his man from what I could see.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

You guys also have to note that it appeared to be the defensive game plan to give up the little stuff as long as they didn't get any of their deep passes on us, now there were a couple of plays where we got lucky and Barkley suck it up or the receiver was pretending he had a number 4 jersey on ( ;) ) but for the most part if that was the plan then the defense did a helluva job implementing it!

I know a few of us on the board before the game thought this was a key: give up some short yardage passes as long as we don't let them get the deep threat going, and that seemed to be what was happening on the field.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

wheaton4prez wrote:Attached a snapshot from the game showing Lewis (14) on Williams (18), running that screen-with-a-lot-of-room play.
without knowing what the play call was, its hard to harp on him for playing 8 yds off.