It's on ESPN radio that nobody is willing to play BSU cuz...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

It's on ESPN radio that nobody is willing to play BSU cuz...

Post by UofDuck »

The claim is that "They are just scared to play us" according to BSU fans. Certainly there is truth to that. But I would add this; cheap-shots with no reprocussions, concussing your opponents QB's, your players physically taunting players after you beat them in a game, your video board tech helping to almost cause a riot by showing an oponent's bad move over and over and over and over....like adding kindling to smoldering coals which helped to cause a fire...etc. etc. etc. might have something to do with nobody wanting to play you too.

I recall many of us saying, just wait BSU, you have earned a reputation, good luck finding teams to play you in the furture. AND BINGO. (not even a one and done at home - no takers)
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Re: It's on ESPN radio that nobody is willing to play BSU cuz...

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

There is some merit to that, but I think BSU is like the best woman kick boxer. They've beaten everyone at their level, and now they want to fight the best of the men kick boxers. Has this woman shown the ability to beat a good male kick boxer occasionally, yeah. Have they done it at a consistency to really back up their confidence, no. And why would any top notch male kick boxer want to fight her? It's a lose lose situation. If they lose, which is a possibility, "you lost to a woman". If they win, "wow, you beat up a woman". Unless BSU moves into the MWC and it becomes a "BCS conference", there is no point for any big school to play them.

No offense to any women on this board, by the way ;)
GO DUCKS!
glazeduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by glazeduck »

Good. Chris Peterson is a hell of a coach, but he's running a completely classless program.

Plus I'm sick of these "float to the top" teams in weak conferences whining and moaning about not getting their shot at the NC!
Razduck
One Star Recruit

Post by Razduck »

One pretty funny side note to this story. Boise State has only Sold Out one game this season, and that was the Oregon game. They have come up short by 1500-2000 people on every Home Game since the Season Opener. The fans are blaming poor competition as their reason for not selling out. I have a feeling this latest news will make ticket sales even more problematic. They get what they deserve. :lol:

LET'S GO DUCKS!!!
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

I don't think it's a class thing. There are lots of classless programs that have no trouble getting teams to play.

I think it's a "how does this benefit us?" If the team loses, well look at Oregon. If they win, well "they should because it's only a WAC team."

If Oregon had beaten Boise St., people wouldn't even be talking about them. At all.
pdxduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck »

In order to get the respect they seem to crave so bad they are going to have to play some BCS schools away from Boise. Somehow Oregon agreed to play in that glorified HS stadium. But no way most other BCS schools would even consider a home and home. Once they play three tough OOC games in a row, without a month to prepare, then they might have a case.

Boise needs to look at the Gonzaga basketball program as an example. They gained national respect by playing ranked teams away or at neutral sites. Not just by feasting on WCC cupcakes and then whining that they get no respect.
spinseeker
Freshman

Post by spinseeker »

pdxduck wrote:In order to get the respect they seem to crave so bad they are going to have to play some BCS schools away from Boise. Somehow Oregon agreed to play in that glorified HS stadium. But no way most other BCS schools would even consider a home and home. Once they play three tough OOC games in a row, without a month to prepare, then they might have a case.

Boise needs to look at the Gonzaga basketball program as an example. They gained national respect by playing ranked teams away or at neutral sites. Not just by feasting on WCC cupcakes and then whining that they get no respect.
This is what they ARE complaining about. They talked to ten schools who said no to a one and done with them in 2011.
They didn't say why the schools said no, implying they were afraid. My guess would be: not enough notice (these things are figured many years in advance) or already having mid/upper tier OOC game on the schedule
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

10 schools?!? Thats is? Last time I checked there are over 60 schools in the Big Six BCS conferences...

They're screwed. Good.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

freedjr wrote: I think it's a "how does this benefit us?" If the team loses, well look at Oregon. If they win, well "they should because it's only a WAC team."
That's exactly it, the down side of playing them is a potential loss which is impossible to overcome as long as the head to head. BSU has its rankings height at this point at Oregons expense. The Ducks will carry them onwards into the higher ranks without any further validation of Boise's right to be ranked so. Are they better than TCU, haven't proved it, but are rated higher by their sole good victory.

No BCS team wants to bear that burden, nor should they be required. Until the voters shake the head to head comparison on an early season game, to all teams the risk of an early derailment to a BCS season will not warrant playing the Broncos.

All I can say is enjoy it Bronco fans,..., your opportunities in the future will be shortening and soon disappear.

There again, the No.1 one in the nation owns but one victory over a top 25 program, so I guess that's all it takes.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I think it's a "how does this benefit us?" If the team loses, well look at Oregon. If they win, well "they should because it's only a WAC team."

Except, how do you explain TCU or Utah or BYU getting quality oponents to play them every year? They are at least in the mix with BSU?
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

They are playing VT next year and have Oregon State at home. Not bad IMO
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Call it the poison pill effect which may not have been as clearly evident in the past, plus a realization that if Florida can make it on a crappy ooc schedule, why not follow the pattern?
MWC is competitive, so there are no assurances that anyone of those teams will consistently run the table. Not so much in the WAC, which has become pretty much a one trick pony league.
However IMO in BCS conferences post season income has become critical to balancing the sports programs. Many schools are inflating their ooc to 1) increase the success of bowl eligibility and get those extra dollars; and 2) posture for a BCS run by minimizing potential upsets.
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Their problem is they think they can schedule one tough game a year in a season opener trap against a team like Oregon, then just sit around and blow out teams like Hawaii and Fresno State and whine about how they deserve a BCS bid because they were undefeated. Join a real conference and stop playing community colleges every weekend and they might get a shot if they were able to go undefeated. But then if they were playing in a conference full of BCS schools they probably wouldn't do as well, they wouldn't have the depth to finish a season undefeated if they were playing BCS teams that are stacked full of bigger tougher players than what they see in the WAC conference.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

I hate to be the odd man out here, but it sure seems like we (Duck fans) are full of nothing but sour grapes. The fact is, they beat us at our place and at theirs. You can talk cheap shots, classless, blah, blah blah, but how about simply they are a good team- this year a very good team.

I know they would not go undefeated in the Pac 10, or even the Mountain West probably. But they would be a top half of the conference team in the Pac this year.

Personally, I wish we would fill their open date in 2011. I believe we still have one too. Instead of whining about it, I would like to actually beat them once. But until we do, I tip my hat to them.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

wlduck wrote:I hate to be the odd man out here, but it sure seems like we (Duck fans) are full of nothing but sour grapes. The fact is, they beat us at our place and at theirs. You can talk cheap shots, classless, blah, blah blah, but how about simply they are a good team- this year a very good team.

I know they would not go undefeated in the Pac 10, or even the Mountain West probably. But they would be a top half of the conference team in the Pac this year.

Personally, I wish we would fill their open date in 2011. I believe we still have one too. Instead of whining about it, I would like to actually beat them once. But until we do, I tip my hat to them.
+1 however I am not sure you are allowed to say that on this forum :roll:
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT