gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Stanford not afraid of the Ducks

Post by gofightingducks »

Luck and Gerhart aren't afraid of the Ducks :shock:
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id ... -the-ducks

Ten reason why Stanford will beat the Ducks :roll:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... ts-oregon/

Calling my shot now, more than two days before kickoff and having watched Oregon demolish USC with one of the most impressive performances by a Pac-10 team in eons.

But this is a different setting and a different matchup (nobody in the league plays the way Stanford plays). And after talking to some savvy football folks — and taking a hard look at the styles and personnel — I believe it’ll have a different outcome:

Stanford becomes bowl-eligible with a close, entertaining, high-scoring victory that slows Oregon’s momentum and tightens the Pac-10 title race.

And here’s why:

10. The defensive discipline.
What Stanford lacks in speed, it will come close to making up for in discipline: Being in the right place at the right time to plug holes and contain Oregon’s spread option. (Without discipline, you have no chance to stop Jeremiah Masoli and Co. — as USC showed.)

9. Chris Owusu.
Stanford’s kick-returner extraordinaire has already taken three back for touchdowns and is due for No. 4. It’ll come at the perfect time for Stanford, just when Oregon’s about to snatch the momentum.

8. The history I:
Stanford has ruined Oregon’s dreams before. In 2001, the Cardinal rallied from two touchdowns down in the second half to stun the Ducks in Eugene — their only loss of the season. (Stanford was a 7-point underdog that day. This time, Oregon’s favored by 5.)

7. The history II:
The Cardinal believes it can win, having come within six seconds of doing just that in Eugene last season when Toby Gerhart was hobbling and Andrew Luck was redshirting.

6. The quarterback.
Masoli has had his share of clunkers in the past year-and-a-half. One of his worst performance came last year in Berkeley (7-of-21, 2 INTs). Apparently, playing in his former neighborhood — he’s from Daly City — didn’t bring out the best in him. It won’t this week, either.

5. The Ducks’ bill.
It’s due. Only two teams have gone undefeated in Pac-10 play this decade, and the Ducks (7-1, 5-0) don’t have nearly as much talent as the USC teams of 2004-05. They’re going to lose at some point. Saturday seems as good a time as any.

4. The playing surface.
The mower that cuts the Stanford Stadium field has one height setting, and it’s not “knee high.” Nor has Jim Harbaugh been spotted doing a rain-and-sun dance at midfield. Regardless, the natural grass will slow the Ducks the way natural grass slows all turf teams. Meanwhile, the surface will have no adverse effect on Stanford’s physicality.

3. The atmosphere.
Sure, Autzen Stadium’s a tough place to play with the non-stop, jet-engine noise. But just watch as the laid-back, Riesling-drinking, tailgating-among-the-eucalyptus-tree Stanford crowd lulls the Ducks to sleep.

2. The schedule.
The best time to play a team is after it plays USC, and the basking-in-the-glow Ducks are primed for a letdown. Meanwhile, Stanford’s coming off a bye that gave it plenty of time to rest and get ready for the spread option.

1. The ground game.
Stanford has the most physical running game in the conference with its big linemen/tight ends, a brute-force fullback (Owen Marecic) and a punishing tailback (Gerhart). That combination allows the Cardinal to run successfully between the tackles against the fast but undersized Duck defense, which in turn allows Stanford to dominate the ball and keep Oregon’s offense off the field. Add some well-executed play-action passes from Luck, and the Cardinal scores at will in the second half. Oregon’s rhythm-based offense sputters, Masoli gets frustrated, and Stanford powers its way to victory.
justducky0
Senior

Re: Stanford not afraid of the Ducks

Post by justducky0 »

what would you expect them to say? They should say they are not afraid of our Oregon team.
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Those are almost all terrible reasons for why Stanford will beat Oregon, most of them are just dumb and grasping at straws looking for any reason to give Stanford a chance.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

addictedtoquack wrote:Those are almost all terrible reasons for why Stanford will beat Oregon, most of them are just dumb and grasping at straws looking for any reason to give Stanford a chance.
I definitely feel dumber for even reading that.....
HomeFieldAdvantage
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeFieldAdvantage »

[quote="gofightingducks"]Luck and Gerhart aren't afraid of the Ducks :shock:
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id ... -the-ducks

Ten reason why Stanford will beat the Ducks :roll:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... ts-oregon/

2. The schedule.
The best time to play a team is after it plays USC, and the basking-in-the-glow Ducks are primed for a letdown. Meanwhile, Stanford’s coming off a bye that gave it plenty of time to rest and get ready for the spread option.

My favorite has to be his thoughts on the Ducks "basking-in-the-glow" and being primed for a letdown. I've heard similiar arguments from a few Beaver fans I work with. What I don't think this writer and those Beaver fans realize is that the media is basking-in-the-glow with the team of the week, just like they did with other teams such as Miami earlier in the year. Chip Kelly knows this and this Oregon Ducks team is taking nothing for granted. We will see a focused, well prepared Ducks team this week against Stanford. Ducks win 52-27 (I think Luck has a good day and throws for a couple TD's against us)!!!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

LOL these are all dumb reasons.. I'm surprised they didn't mention the bye week as an upper hand.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

I like number 10... the defensive discipline. What makes them think that their defense will be able to do anything against Oregon if nobody else has been able to stop the ducks offense this season... I mean come on they're no Boise St.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

UOducksTK1 wrote:LOL these are all dumb reasons.. I'm surprised they didn't mention the bye week as an upper hand.
They did mention it at #2. Most of that list ranges from pretty weak to retarded, but there are a few halfway decent points.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned much is that Stanford will be without their starting left tackle who was injured against Arizona State and is going to miss at least a month. I don't really follow Stanford closely enough to know how big of an issue this is since I don't know how good their backups are, but it seems like this would hurt their chances to a certain degree. The Stanford depth chart shows a redshirt freshman will be starting in his place. Hopefully the Ducks can take advantage of this potential weakness.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

That list is hilarious, almost something you expect to see on Letterman or something. :lol:
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

The only valid reasons he gives are the same reason anyone can lose going into every game. If we completely overlook Stanford, turn the ball over multiple times & just collapse then yeah, they have a great chance to beat us. Is this John Madden? :lol:
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Maybe they expect that Chip is looking so far past Stanford that he will have Masoli, LMJ and the rest of the starters on the sidelines enjoying sub sandwiches during the game.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

10. Wrong. Not sure why Stanford's D would be more disciplined than it has been in every other game this season when it was giving up points.

9. Maybe. It's a spooky omen. But, Damien Williams is a pretty good returner as well and the Ducks special teams won that battle.

8. Illogical. Because they upset the Ducks in the past, it will happen this time? Must be too genius for me to comprehend.

7. Even more illogical. Because they lost closely last year, they will win this time?

6. Illogical. Because Masoli played poorly against Cal last year, he will also do so against Stanford this year? Um hm. Noticing a trend here.

5. Misconception. Given that Stanford hasn't played the best teams of the Pac-10, Saturday only seems like it is likely. Realistically, Arizona will have the best shot.

4. Maybe. But, I believe that the Ducks do have natural grass practice fields too.

3. Maybe. Stanford's lack of passion IS daunting.

2. Unlikely. What is Stanford's record playing games off of a bye?

1. Unlikely. But, Stanford will be welcome to burn the clock all they want while the Ducks have the lead.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I was very nervous before the Cal game. Somewhat before UCLA. A little before the UDub game. Barely at all before the SC game. Now? I'm not thinking twice about this game. Kelly preaches staying focused, and the players seem to have totally bought into that. I think we continue our five game streak of easy wins and shut Stanford down.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I believe that Kelly and his boys matured immensely since the game 1 debacle at BSU. The mental aspect of this game is very much in the Duck's favor, IMO.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

10 REASON THE DUCKS AREN'T SCARED OF STANFORD!!!!

1) Offensive Line

2) LaMichael James

3) Jeremiah Masoli

4) Ed Dickson

5) D.J. Davis

6) Jeff Mahel

7) L.T.

8) CHIP KELLEY

9) OUR ENTIRE DEFENSE

10) OUR SPRCIAL TEAMS

See I can play this game too!! It took me 2 minutes to put my list together and I think it is more logical than "because they almost beat us last year" or "Masoli struggled against cal"