Stanford #25
Oregon State just outside the polls
Ohio State ranked ahead of USC

Polls make no sense, they are a joke
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Re: Rankings

Post by picksix »

uh ... 47-20 ass kicing we gave the Trojans and they have jumped 4 spots AHEAD of us??? Nahhh no bias there!! Polls are worthless ( unless you are USC and SEC teams ).
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Why worry about the polls? They're irrelevant to us at this point.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

Tray Dub wrote:Why worry about the polls? They're irrelevant to us at this point.

You don't see the big picture, do you?

It happens this week. It happens next week. It happens next year. It happens the year afterward.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the idiots blame the poor. Same head in the sand mentality.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Pontius wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Why worry about the polls? They're irrelevant to us at this point.

It happens this week. It happens next week. It happens next year. It happens the year afterward.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the idiots blame the poor. Same head in the sand mentality.
Cool. And bitching on a small internet message board is really gonna remove bias in national polls, isn't it? Why not just focus on our team and our season, and worry about hypothetically getting screwed in the polls next year (IF it happens)? \

And just to let you know guys, this is how polls work. When a team loses, they drop hard in the next week, then slowly recover to where they deserve to be. That's why they say it's better to lost at the beginning of the year. I guarantee that a lot of Duck fans think this way when it suits them (team x lost to mediocre team y and they only fell four spots??!!). We dropped eight spots after losing to an unranked team... It's really not that unreasonable, and even if it is, IT DOESN'T MATTER.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

If you're USC, you have proven your worth over the years because you win. Not saying it's right, but they have the history that gives them the edge. If Oregon is ever to be considered in the national discussion we must win, win, win. It will have to be a perfect storm to make that happen. We have one of the toughest conferences, but we have to win.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

MFRDuckFan wrote:If you're USC, you have proven your worth over the years because you win. Not saying it's right, but they have the history that gives them the edge. If Oregon is ever to be considered in the national discussion we must win, win, win. It will have to be a perfect storm to make that happen. We have one of the toughest conferences, but we have to win.

I completely agree. Oregon had their opportunity to move up and be considered a national contender and they were embarrassed. USC has dominated over the years and until Oregon can do the same they will not be looked at as a great team just a good team.
pdxduck21
Three Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck21 »

What is even more BS is the fact Ohio State is ranked #8 when they have lost to 2 teams that we beat...there is no logic to the polls what so ever. Yes we lost this week, but we still put up 42 pts on the road to a now ranked team
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

Tray Dub wrote:
Pontius wrote:

Cool. And bitching on a small internet message board is really gonna remove bias in national polls, isn't it? Why not just focus on our team and our season, and worry about hypothetically getting screwed in the polls next year (IF it happens)? \

And just to let you know guys, this is how polls work. When a team loses, they drop hard in the next week, then slowly recover to where they deserve to be. That's why they say it's better to lost at the beginning of the year. I guarantee that a lot of Duck fans think this way when it suits them (team x lost to mediocre team y and they only fell four spots??!!). We dropped eight spots after losing to an unranked team... It's really not that unreasonable, and even if it is, IT DOESN'T MATTER.
I love how you criticize me for stating my opinion when it's you who first pontificated in this thread. Did I ever say that what I say makes a difference? Of course not. Thanks for projecting that much.

Yeah, good point about LSU not dropping at all after a loss. Oh, they should be the exception because they play in the SEC, right?

Your head is still in the sand you are just making excuses for a flawed system. May in life you see it from the bottom up. Only then will you understand.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

gofightingducks wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote:If you're USC, you have proven your worth over the years because you win. Not saying it's right, but they have the history that gives them the edge. If Oregon is ever to be considered in the national discussion we must win, win, win. It will have to be a perfect storm to make that happen. We have one of the toughest conferences, but we have to win.

I completely agree. Oregon had their opportunity to move up and be considered a national contender and they were embarrassed. USC has dominated over the years and until Oregon can do the same they will not be looked at as a great team just a good team.

Another person who doesn't get it. The illusion is strong in this one.
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Did LSU seriously stay exactly where they were after losing to Alabama? There is really something wrong with USC being ahead of us, I mean 47-20 hellooo.
Last edited by addictedtoquack on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Pontius wrote:
gofightingducks wrote:

Another person who doesn't get it. The illusion is strong in this one.
Nobody said the system isn't flawed, but perception is reality. They are not going to change the system because there is too much money to be made the way it is. So do you sit & whine about it or try and get your piece of the pie? IN ORDER FOR THE DUCKS TO CHANGE THEIR OWN REALITY, THEY MUST WIN.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

MFRDuckFan wrote: IN ORDER FOR THE DUCKS TO CHANGE THEIR OWN REALITY, THEY MUST WIN.

They do win. What are you missing?
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Rankings are still big, you want to have a good preseason ranking so you don't have to fight so much to get into the top ten or five. I don't really care if USC has a reputation or not, the head to head matchup with Oregon should still outweigh any benefit of the doubt they get. They didn't do anything miraculous this weekend that warrants really moving up in the polls, they beat an ASU team that will be lucky to become bowl eligible.... and barely beat them at that.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

The polls don't matter as far as Oregon goes anymore, but as a college football fan in general, I still pay attention to them and still think they are a joke. Regardless of Oregon, there will always be a bias towards teams like USC, Ohio State, etc.