Florida could be interested in Kelly's services...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Florida could be interested in Kelly's services...

Post by Boom »

I think Oregon would match any Florida offer.

I think if Chip left us it would be for the NFL rather than another college gig.
DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

Boom wrote:I think Oregon would match any Florida offer.

I think if Chip left us it would be for the NFL rather than another college gig.
And NFL owners and Gms are too scared to try something different and bring in a spread guy so won't even get any attention there (same reason why Urban Meyer has never gotten an NFL offer)

Ever since the Spurrier debacle in Washington, NFL execs are scared of bringing in a spread.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

DarronThomas1 wrote:

And NFL owners and Gms are too scared to try something different and bring in a spread guy so won't even get any attention there (same reason why Urban Meyer has never gotten an NFL offer)

Ever since the Spurrier debacle in Washington, NFL execs are scared of bringing in a spread.
Your probably right, but I think the spread will slowly creep into the NFL.
mjenk99
One Star Recruit

Post by mjenk99 »

ducksrock wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:I think you guys are being a little naive... There definitely are reasons for staying here. However, there are also reasons to leave. Florida would probably pay more, he'd be in a much better place for recruiting, he'd be at a way more prestigious program in a more prestigious conference, it would put him back on the east coast... I would understand him leaving, and I would also understand him turning UF down.

However, this most likely ends up being much ado about nothing. A lot would have to go wrong for him to leave here for Florida.
Naive huh? I dont think so.....I do agree that ALL HELL would have to break loose for CK to leave.....But, keep in mind....Who is the HC that hired him? And who IS the AD now. And lets face reality here, Uncle Phil is in the house.....Coach Kelly wont leave anytime in the near future...Its all about challenge..And that, fellow Duck fans, is what CK is ALL about....Lets just see how it plays out. I would be willing to take odds on whether Coach Kelly stays or leaves....Its a No Brainer....Its not ALL about $$$$, its about accomplishment...In todays times, its hard to find individuals with their feet on the ground. But, that being said, I honestly believe the CK is one of those few...Have faith in YOUR TEAM, have faith in YOUR COACH....have faith in the University of Oregon Ducks....We have an opp for a NC here, and it is OUR DESTINY. GOOOOOOO DUCKS...
You say you aren't naive and then write this response?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Hey, now!

It's possible the Ducks have stumbled onto a guy like 83 year old Joe Paterno, here. Not from an X''s and O's standpoint, but from a level of commitment to the program.

Ever check out Paterno?

He has a very interesting take on how he handles himself. To say he is dedicated to Penn State heart and soul is an understatement.

Records released by the State Employees Retirement System put his 2007 salary at about $512,000. The data did not reflect other sources of compensation such as bonuses or outside income. (Everybody realizes JP receives additional compensation, just like every other D-1 coach in the nation.)

http://thedp.com/node/12582
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... erno_x.htm

In 2004, Joe said: "At 77, can I tell you I'm going to be here five years?" he said. "I could have a heart attack (or) stroke, and I tell (recruits) that. But right now, the way I feel, I'm committed to getting Penn State back where it belongs, and I'd like to have one more great football team. And I think we have the basis for it.

"I also just happen to mention that all these years when everybody has been telling kids, 'You're not going to go to Penn State because Paterno won't be there,' about 700 of those coaches are gone. I just happen to mention that."

http://thedp.com/node/12582

The Daily Collegian "I guess Joe has to work another 47 years so we can do it again," she said. The gift brings the Paternos' lifetime donations to the university to $4 million, said Penn State President Graham Spanier, including funding for an addition to Pattee. "They have chosen to support some of our most critical academic needs and visionary initiatives," Spanier said. Both Paternos have a degree in literature and said they wanted to contribute to the classics. And the fellowships in memory of their parents reflect their fathers' professions -- Angelo Paterno was a lawyer and August Pohland was an architect. The spiritual faith center is a project Sue Paterno has been working on constantly and the hall of fame is a project Joe Paterno said he feels strongly about. They also selected programs that needed financial help, Sue Paterno said. "I feel, as I read somewhere, to live the good life, we have to make sure that others have at least a decent life," Joe Paterno said to the trustees, who gave him a standing ovation. With all of their children out of college, except for one son in law school, and because of their modest lifestyle, the Paternos said they wanted to and could afford to give back to the community that had given them so much. "I never got into coaching to make money. I just wanted to take care of my family," Joe Paterno said. They both talked about how welcoming the community has been to their family. Over the years, the Paternos have tried to donate whatever they could, Sue Paterno, a Penn State graduate, explained.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

bigfootlebowski
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigfootlebowski »

monster wrote:Urban Meyer isn't going anywhere. He's making a load anyway and his salary is bound to increase with his next contract extension -- and no one pays better than the SEC. Where would he go anyway, Notre Dame? He said awhile back that he was at Florida to stay, which I believe. He's already won two BCS Championships there and spread faith in Tebow to the masses. He's a legend out there. No reason for him to move along. And you can't fill a spot that isn't open.
I bet he might might look at Rich Rods success at UM trying to transform a traditional offense into a spread and think it might take me 3 years to actually get my offense in place, need the right personel?
bigfootlebowski
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigfootlebowski »

DarronThomas1 wrote:

The biggest problem is the type of spread, you need a stable of quality qbs because they are going to get injured in kellys spread...
duckscribe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckscribe »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kelly's only going to the BCS with Oregon some day.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

bigfootlebowski wrote:
DarronThomas1 wrote:

The biggest problem is the type of spread, you need a stable of quality qbs because they are going to get injured in kellys spread...
Assuming the spread maintains it's popularity in college football then it might be easier to find those type of QB's than to find an elite traditional QB.

Our team relies heavy on Masoli to run, but that's what Masoli brings to the table. I could be wrong but didn't Chip Kelly's New Hampshire teams relied on throwing the ball?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Just think back to when we had Dixon. We were a throw first option team back then. We are run first now because that suits Masoli better.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

I am of the opinion that Chip appreciates the lack of direct media focus that the Oregon position gives him. A major program like Florida or any other SEC program for that fact is burdened by of constant public scrutiny. His curt abrupt answers and might not fly as well in such a setting. Take in the fact of the constant string of problem players adorned with media blessed stars which infect those southeastern programs and a fan base which feels that winning at all costs overshadows personal responsibility...., well it raises some speculation in what I have seen of Chip that this would conflict with his coaching philosophy. The money would be better, but there are levels of which that at some point of income the added dollars do not always imply a better path of life choice.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tray Dub wrote:I think you guys are being a little naive... There definitely are reasons for staying here. However, there are also reasons to leave. Florida would probably pay more, he'd be in a much better place for recruiting, he'd be at a way more prestigious program in a more prestigious conference, it would put him back on the east coast... I would understand him leaving, and I would also understand him turning UF down.

However, this most likely ends up being much ado about nothing. A lot would have to go wrong for him to leave here for Florida.
I don't think it's naive to think that Kelly wouldn't want to damage his reputation by jumping around to different jobs quickly, chasing a higher salary.

There's more to shaping a career than getting paid the most and having more resources at your disposal.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

wheaton4prez wrote:

I don't think it's naive to think that Kelly wouldn't want to damage his reputation by jumping around to different jobs quickly, chasing a higher salary.

There's more to shaping a career than getting paid the most and having more resources at your disposal.
I think it's naive to assume that you know what Kelly's thinking and think there's no chance he'd leave for a better-paying job at a more prestigious school. I don't think he'd damage his reputation to anyone outside of Eugene if he took a job viewed by most people as better.

Look, you guys have your priorities. And I really hope that those priorities are also the same for Kelly. But they might not be. He might really care about joining a prestigious school, we don't know. To say there's no chance, or even a tiny one, is naive. If he got offered the job at Florida I think it's about 50-50 whether he would take it.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

mjenk99 wrote:
ducksrock wrote:

Naive huh? I dont think so.....I do agree that ALL HELL would have to break loose for CK to leave.....But, keep in mind....Who is the HC that hired him? And who IS the AD now. And lets face reality here, Uncle Phil is in the house.....Coach Kelly wont leave anytime in the near future...Its all about challenge..And that, fellow Duck fans, is what CK is ALL about....Lets just see how it plays out. I would be willing to take odds on whether Coach Kelly stays or leaves....Its a No Brainer....Its not ALL about $$$$, its about accomplishment...In todays times, its hard to find individuals with their feet on the ground. But, that being said, I honestly believe the CK is one of those few...Have faith in YOUR TEAM, have faith in YOUR COACH....have faith in the University of Oregon Ducks....We have an opp for a NC here, and it is OUR DESTINY. GOOOOOOO DUCKS...
You say you aren't naive and then write this response?
Yes, I did...And who are YOU to question it?
If you dont believe in the potential of the Duck Program under CK, become a Beaver Fan.....Because you surely arent showing much faith in our program.......
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tray Dub wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:

I think it's naive to assume that you know what Kelly's thinking and think there's no chance he'd leave for a better-paying job at a more prestigious school. I don't think he'd damage his reputation to anyone outside of Eugene if he took a job viewed by most people as better.

Look, you guys have your priorities. And I really hope that those priorities are also the same for Kelly. But they might not be. He might really care about joining a prestigious school, we don't know. To say there's no chance, or even a tiny one, is naive. If he got offered the job at Florida I think it's about 50-50 whether he would take it.
What are you even talking about? Where have I assumed what Kelly is thinking? Where did I say that there is no chance he'd leave?

I said that I would be surprised. He doesn't strike me as the Saban, self-first type. Entirely different than assuming peoples thoughts or claiming the future. I suggest that you not use words like 'naive' to describe people unless you have really read and considered what they've written more closely. It's insulting.

He puts a premium on his commitment to finishing and he can't really expect anyone to listen to him about that if he doesn't do it himself.

I think you're wrong that he wouldn't damage his reputation by leaving quickly. Look at Saban. He made a lot of enemies. Had he not produced at Alabama, I think it's unlikely he would get another job at a similar level. If Kelly were to jump ship and things didn't work out for him at Florida, his career would probably be done at this level. Sticking with Oregon for at least a few years with the same success he has already had would give him a better chance of surviving a bad performance at another program if he does leave.