Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by squintsdd »

Really this should've been what happened when it was announced that ucla and usc were leaving. The Pac and ACC should've come together to form a new conference with east and west divisions. I'm genuinely surprised the ACC brought in any Pac schools at this point in the game.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I can defend Oregon's travel schedule in most sports because there's 3 other west coast teams... But Cal/Stanford? It's a terrible travel schedule. And at least we go to midwest... ACC is basically all east coast.

I know the Big 12 isn't going to be prestigious but that would at least make more sense in many ways for them. I digress..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:Very thankful this morning for Uncle Phil and 25+ years of intensely marketing the UofO. It's really the reason why we're not heading to the Mountain West today.
Amen. Preach!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:Probably another reason why OSU and WSU want to stick in the Pac and collect that residual money. I'm guessing they will only join the MWC as a last resort.
It would seem the best financial move is to play 1-year as a 2-team PAC in order to collect that money coming in, right? Then join the MWC in 25-26. I'm sure they could even do some kind of scheduling where they start playing more of their games against MWC schools in 24-25.

The financial boon that OSU/WSU would receive would also seemingly take a big chunk out of their debt from their stadium projects, which would help them ride this wave out financially in the short-term.

I don't know enough about the specifics of it all, but if that above understanding is largely correct it would seem like the most prudent options for the beavs and cougs.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Duck07 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Probably another reason why OSU and WSU want to stick in the Pac and collect that residual money. I'm guessing they will only join the MWC as a last resort.
It would seem the best financial move is to play 1-year as a 2-team PAC in order to collect that money coming in, right? Then join the MWC in 25-26. I'm sure they could even do some kind of scheduling where they start playing more of their games against MWC schools in 24-25.

The financial boon that OSU/WSU would receive would also seemingly take a big chunk out of their debt from their stadium projects, which would help them ride this wave out financially in the short-term.

I don't know enough about the specifics of it all, but if that above understanding is largely correct it would seem like the most prudent options for the beavs and cougs.
I'm sure they can write into the contract with the MW or AAC that WSU and OS keep the lion share of the PAC residuals. I assume it would be a negotiation as to how much they keep. Is the PAC brand and PAC networks enough to entice the Mountain West or AAC to merge without taking ownership of the credits/residuals? Maybe. I suppose it depends if the PAC12 Network is making or losing money.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

AAC no longer interested in adding WSU/OSU.

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Don't know if this fits here but the Big Ten will very probably stay at 9-conference games, which I'm personally happy about since I want to see which P5 home and home series' Oregon may schedule in the future, in contrast to the 10 game model where the options are much more limited.

https://twitter.com/JamesCrepea/status/ ... 8003860824
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:AAC no longer interested in adding WSU/OSU.
I have a feeling that if OSU and WSU both have decent seasons this year, as in OSU winning 9-10 games and WSU going at least .500 in the Pac and going to a Bowl game, the Big-12 may have second thoughts.

The SEC and Big-10 both have 18 schools and the Big-12 is now at 16, so if they could bring in 2 winning football programs, that could make the difference.

It would also help if they didn't totally suck at basketball, but OSU has been a major power in baseball for the past several years.

I just don't think it's necessary for them to jump into anything right away unless it's an offer from a Power-5 conference.
John 3:36
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

SuperDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:AAC no longer interested in adding WSU/OSU.
I have a feeling that if OSU and WSU both have decent seasons this year, as in OSU winning 9-10 games and WSU going at least .500 in the Pac and going to a Bowl game, the Big-12 may have second thoughts.

The SEC and Big-10 both have 18 schools and the Big-12 is now at 16, so if they could bring in 2 winning football programs, that could make the difference.

It would also help if they didn't totally suck at basketball, but OSU has been a major power in baseball for the past several years.

I just don't think it's necessary for them to jump into anything right away unless it's an offer from a Power-5 conference.
I don’t think WSU/OSU’s success is much of a factor. They don’t have a strong brand or a TV market to bring in money that adds value to the Big 12.

The only exception is if they joined similarly to SMU where they get little to none of the money pot for a while. But even then, idk…

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's not in Oregon's best interests, but it seems pretty logical and straightforward to me that the Pac-12's future be solely determined by WSU and OSU, including any financial benefits.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Below is pretty much the crux of the article/lawsuit

"The Pac-12 bylaws state that if a school gives notice of withdrawal prior to Aug. 1, 2024, then its “representative to the Pac-12 Board of Directors shall automatically cease to be a member of the Pac-12 Board of Directors and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter.”

What defines a notice of withdrawal?"
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yep, the bylaws seem pretty clear. Lawyers can try to nitpick, but OSU and WSU should be the only two voting board members at this point. Accepting invites to join other conferences waaaaaaaaaaaaay clears the bar for providing notice to leave.

Financially, this is a pebble for Oregon and Washington. Couldn't care less about the future Big 12 or ACC schools.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

With all of the antics from the Beavs after the Ducks did what’s best for them and joined the B1G, I hope that Oregon never schedules an OOC game with them and tells them to go pound sand. Initially I felt bad for the Beavs but they’ve made it hard for me to feel bad for them lately.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Good for them. I hope they win the lawsuit. I think they're playing this very well.