The Newest GM's Early Thoughts on a New League

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

JB
Three Star Recruit

The Newest GM's Early Thoughts on a New League

Post by JB »

I figured since I suggested this article idea a few days ago, I would jump on it myself with a fresh opinion as a new GM getting familiar with the DASL. As I've been here only about one season, please don't flame me too much in the comments as I do my best to put together my top players and prospects currently in the league. I figured this might be interesting as I'm sure there has been years of posturing going on, and I'm coming in with my own takes with no outstanding bias

JB's Top 10 Players in the BASL:

#1 Brian Quinnett

One thing you guys will learn about the future of the Kings is that we don't care about all that nerd s*** like "defense" or "rebounding"...as the late great Bill Russell once said, this league is all about buckets. And right now, BQ is giving teams 7.5 more PPG than anyone else in the league. Q was the best player on a dominant Heat team last season and now moves on to an LAC roster that was thirsty for scoring. 37 PPG on 50%FG early and 2.4 SPG. Dude is a force of FBB nature and even with the Clippers struggling with a young roster around him, I think Q is the best player in the league right now.

#2. Jim Jackson

Jackson isn't even in the damn lineup right now and the Mavs are still dogging teams on their way to the best record in the western conference. In preseason, Jackson lit the league up for the most PPG and in his 4 games thus far, is scoring to the tune of 38.5 PPG and 93% from the line and 54% from 3. At A+ outside scoring, the splits are barely even a fluke, and Jackson is solidly one of the best assets in the league. I tried to sneak in and make an offer for Jackson last year, but Ownage was all over it and snuffed me out. Now I watch from afar as Jackson is elite in all facets and will bring the best team in the west to another level

#3. Latrell Spreewell

Look, I know I'm gonna get rashed for the blatant propaganda here, but I think you can argue that Spree is as good as anyone in the league this year. Second in PPG until Jackson gets enough play time to enter the picture, Spree is the first one to present truly elite defense as well. B+ A- scoring is unholy, with 50/90/50 splits so far - and in the past Spree has been a lock for a top 10 SPG guy as well. Only last year, Spreewell was a B B scorer hovering around 20 PPG. But with an absolutely insane TC seeing those ratings go +3 in total, Spree enters the picture as one of the premier 2 way players in the league right now. Too bad his GM and frontcourt is letting him down

#4. Penny Hardaway

Penny has a case as high as the best player in the league, as he is the one truly elite scorer who is qualified to play the PG position. I think if Jackson or Spree could do that, they would just put up savage numbers, but since they can't, Penny is definitely the best player at the most important position in the league. The reigning champ did a sweet 22/10/6 last year sharing the rock with BQ, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his numbers jump up a bit as he is featured as the premier guy in his team's offense. I like the way this league is built, as point guards who dominate scoring typically dictate the outcomes within FBB. There are not many guys who are legit scoring options at that slot, and because of that, Penny is a top 5 guy easily in my mind.

#5. Shaq

As far as I can tell, Shaq is the best big in the league right now, and at only age 25. While I think that lead guards who fill it up scoring wise are the single most important players in these leagues, the second most important is a dominant 3 way big man. When I say 3 way, I mean scoring, rebounding, and defense. And no one really personifies that like Shaq does. Although off to a slow start scoring, Shaq is #4 in blocks per game, #2 in rebounds per game, and did 21 ppg on 48% FG last season. Although some disagree, I am a huge proponent on the impact that height, weight, and strength collectively have on a big man's output, and I can't imagine anyone can match Shaq's sheer ferocity. Dude is crazy good.

#6. Vlade Divac

Shaq once said his favorite players to dunk on in the league were Shawn Bradley and Vlade Divac. However, he really has to earn it in this league. Vlade is another favorite of mine and is ranked just below Shaq on my list of most valuable players. For all the same reasons as I love Shaq, I love Vlade as well as he dusted teams to 22 points, 13 boards, and 4 blocks last year. A little known tidbit is that had things gone in a different direction at last season's deadline, Vlade was damn near a King. And I would have been overjoyed. There are a lot of elite shot blockers in the DASL, but Shaq and Vlade really stand out as well rounded studs.

#7. Charles Smith

I think there is a bit of a drop off at this point, but Charles Smith comes in as my seventh best player. A- in inside scoring, defense, and rebounding, the 32 year old Smith has no weaknesses that I can discern. 25/10 and a block and a half last year, Smith can do whatever you need from a PF. With Shaq and Smith in the frontcourt together, I don't think anyone can match what the Suns bring to the table, and I expect the team to figure out their rotations, maybe make some moves, and make a real push in the west as one of the stronger teams in the league.

#8. Kenny Smith

This is what I'm talking about when I say the league lacks firepower from the PG slot. Smith snagged an MVP doing 21/9/4 and 2.6 SPG, and he likely deserved it. Smith has been one of the more dominant players at his position for what looks like awhile now, and he still makes his presence felt at age 32. 16/8/3 is a big step back from an MVP stat line, but PG is the most important slot in the league and Smith is one of the best PGs. Credit where it's due. Dude is a baller.

#9 Michael Jordan

The GOAT himself. Even at age 34, MJ still sports a ridiculous B+ A- scoring combo with A- defense. Just like real life, MJ ages like a fine wine and continues to play mind games with the rest of the league. Although he isn't averaging 35 ppg any longer, Jumpman is still sporting a hyper efficient 25 ppg with really nice defense as he puts a solid Knicks team on his back. MJ and Admiral sure are aging and getting paid, but damn, they are worth every Penny

#10 David Robinson

As previously mentioned, the Admiral contract goes absolutely crazy in the later years, eating up half of the total cap sheet if he can stick around and not call it quits before then. This list isn't about future value though, and for now, Admiral is still crazy elite across the board. He may not be what he once was, but 3.7 BPG and 12 RPG is sensational for a player who is also giving you a cool 18 points per game. Even though the back end of that contract is going to get very spicy, Admiral is easily worth his keep this year, and him and Jordan are a sweet duo that any basketball historian can enjoy.

Editors note: I wanted to do a top prospect aspect of this list as well, but it is way harder for me as a new GM to dig through recent drafts that I wasn't familiar with and rank those guys. Instead, I just want to bring to everyone's attention who had TMac as the number 1 prospect last year. Thanks for your time and please let me know why your player was snubbed and how I am a big idiot
Kings
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Re: The Newest GM's Early Thoughts on a New League

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Good article. As far as stats wise, yup. But like other GM’s said, guys wouldn’t trade Kobe for those guys yet.

Btw we all idiots. I traded away a late lotto first which became Shaq; and Charles Smith for Pippen…

And they both end up Champions!

With prospects it takes time reason I hate rebuilding
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

jibbajabba614 wrote:Good article. As far as stats wise, yup. But like other GM’s said, guys wouldn’t trade Kobe for those guys yet.

Btw we all idiots. I traded away a late lotto first which became Shaq; and Charles Smith for Pippen…

And they both end up Champions!

With prospects it takes time reason I hate rebuilding
This was only for the best players this season.

I was going to do another top 10 list of value / prospects but I decided that was a bit too hard because I don't know the initial pot grades of all the young guys and it would have took a lot more research vs just going with my gut like I was able to here
Kings
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah don't belittle yourself buddy, we all make mistakes lol.

That said, I think Danny Manning belongs on here.
---

PistolPeteJR
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Mourning is probably the toughest omission here. Definitely comparable to Divac/Robinson, though his higher turnover rate could be the distinction (doesn't seem to hurt Penny here tho)
SUNS GM
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

Craig wrote:Mourning is probably the toughest omission here. Definitely comparable to Divac/Robinson, though his higher turnover rate could be the distinction (doesn't seem to hurt Penny here tho)
Didn't even realize he was left out.
---

PistolPeteJR
800wins
Three Star Recruit

Post by 800wins »

Good read, thanks for the constant reminder that I went Eric Bonét
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

I'll do +3 to Jason Kidd's handles if that is approved, thank you
Kings
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

coolio. Quinnett ascension to stardom has been crazy.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

JB wrote:I'll do +3 to Jason Kidd's handles if that is approved, thank you
Done