Possessions and Efficiency - Day 45

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Possessions and Efficiency - Day 45

Post by pistolpetejr »

Hey fellow GMs!

Hope you find the tables below insightful. Nice to see how teams fare up when it comes to number of possessions per game and offensive and defensive efficiency, or oRTG and dRTG respectively, as well as netRTG. See how you mount up in regards to the league average and against the competition in your division, conference, and league-wide.

The stats have been compiled from data as of day 45, which is a great sample size. Now, obviously there have been a few key trades lately and so context is key!

For those interested in the details, possessions were calculated by using the common formula below:

Possessions = 0.96 * (FGA - oREB + TO + (0.44 * FTA))

oREB is the biggest rough estimate, as FBB does not distinguish between dREB and oREB, and so based on the NBA rate of 27%, the formula used is oREB = 0.27 * Team RPG. Granted, the league is different today and it was in the late 90s, but again, it's a rough estimate and shouldn't change the results much as it's 27% across the board.

For those not as knowledgeable about dRTG, the lower the better.

Results below:

Quite honestly, I'm very surprised with the Sixers ranking 1st in possessions. But then when you look at their stats, they're top-5 in RPG and take 33 FTA/game, wow. But then their offensive efficiency is second-to-last at 28th. Crazy.

Took a while to compile and get all of the data going, so I hope you all enjoy and discuss!
Last edited by pistolpetejr on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
---

PistolPeteJR
duckyoubeavers
Sophomore
GM: Toronto Raptors GM

Re: Possessions and Efficiency - Day 45

Post by duckyoubeavers »

cool stuff! ive been thinking about adding this to the advanced stats site but been too lazy.
Raptors GM
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Oh no, we suck again!

Tank is running full steam ahead this year
pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

Already a +3 smh lol
It takes time to do this… oh well. (:
---

PistolPeteJR
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

Top 5 offense but a below average defense.

We struggle with rebounding and opponent FTAs per game. Think Ben will really help there, and with his low usage, won't impact the offense too much.
Kings
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

We are way worse than I thought
pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

FlDuckFan wrote:We are way worse than I thought
I think you could really do wonders for your team with simple DC changes. Running fast/very fast isn't working for you because you don't have stellar scorers. Slow it down, get those shooting efficiencies up, and I think you'll see some improvements. Also, I think you could experiment with a more balanced attack.
---

PistolPeteJR
pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

JB wrote:Top 5 offense but a below average defense.

We struggle with rebounding and opponent FTAs per game. Think Ben will really help there, and with his low usage, won't impact the offense too much.
Think Ben will help some, you're right. I think you could also benefit from a decent guard/wing option in addition to Marshall. Right now, you're running Kidd-Spree-Marshall, all starting, with a touch of Collier. Think fatigue kicks in on the team and you end up with inconsistent results because of that.
---

PistolPeteJR
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Post by Cellar-door »

Interesting that even with injuries to my best scorer (and playing a negative at PF) my offense is still really good. D is struggling, but acceptable.
Probably could use to turn Felton into a more rounded PF, though I guess I could try going all in on offense by starting L. Williams, but I think that's diminishing returns.
Hornets GM
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

pistolpetejr wrote:

Think Ben will help some, you're right. I think you could also benefit from a decent guard/wing option in addition to Marshall. Right now, you're running Kidd-Spree-Marshall, all starting, with a touch of Collier. Think fatigue kicks in on the team and you end up with inconsistent results because of that.
Don't think fatigue is a thing tbh
Kings
pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

JB wrote:
pistolpetejr wrote:

It is. Things like pressing and trapping often lead to fatigue (ie. sacrificing things like efficiency, for example). At least, I think it is. Unless I'm misremembering things.
---

PistolPeteJR
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

pistolpetejr wrote:
JB wrote:
pistolpetejr wrote:

It is. Things like pressing and trapping often lead to fatigue (ie. sacrificing things like efficiency, for example). At least, I think it is. Unless I'm misremembering things.
Pretty sure it doesn't exist within the game unless it's some underlying thing. Pressing and trapping never does anything for me other than foul my guys out faster. I might press with elite stealing. Don't think I will ever trap though
Kings
Skyhooker
Junior
GM: Philadelphia 76ers

Post by Skyhooker »

Geesh.
the goat
Freshman
GM: Los Angeles Lakers

Post by the goat »

Great defense with a horrible offense. Sounds about right...
Lakers GM
duckyoubeavers
Sophomore
GM: Toronto Raptors GM

Post by duckyoubeavers »

Trap Frequency: This is how often your team will apply extra defensive pressure in a half-court setting. The benefit is that you will be more likely to get steals. However, it also will cause your players to become tired faster and can also lead to increased fouls. (Always-Often-Normal-Sometimes-Never)

Press Frequency: This is how often your team will apply extra defensive pressure in backcourt. The benefit is that you will be more likely to get steals. However, it also will cause your players to become tired faster and can also lead to increased fouls. (Always-Often-Normal-Sometimes-Never)
going off the above from the how to post a depth chart page, there is fatigue within a game which will cause your players to be subbed out sooner than if you werent pressing/trapping but theres no game to game fatigue factor
Raptors GM