2nd place tie-breaker??

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

2nd place tie-breaker??

Post by Hoagduck »

Okay, bear with me. If we beat Oregon State, SC wins out, and Cal takes care of business in Seattle...SC, Cal, Oregon State, and Stanford all finish in a 6-3 tie with no clear winner. How the heck does that get resolved.
Last edited by Hoagduck on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Re: 2nd place tie-breaker??

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

I don't care as long as the Beavers somehow end up in El Paso again. :)

Hopefully somebody provides you with a more serious answer.
DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

No tie-breaker is necessary because it all will come down to who the bowls want, a tie-breaker only matters for 1st place.

Holiday Bowl will take USC for money/tv exposure/ proximity to LA

Sun Bowl would select Cal because they have a no-return clause and I'm positive they won't want to see OSU again after that 3-0 crapfest last year

Emerald Bowl takes Stanford because they want a bay area team

Las Vegas Bowl takes OSU because they are the last ones left
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Hoagduck wrote:Okay, bear with me. If we beat Oregon, SC wins out, and Cal takes care of business in Seattle...SC, Cal, Oregon State, and Stanford all finish in a 6-3 tie with no clear winner. How the heck does that get resolved.
I think it would be resolved by the best head to head record against the other three and that would be USC.

USC beat Cal, Beat OSU, Lost to Stanford = 2-1

OSU Beat Stanford, Beat Cal, Lost to USC, = 2-1

Stanford Beat USC, Lost to OSU, Lost to Cal = 1-2

Cal Beat Stanford, Lost to OSU, Lost to USC = 1-2

Cal and Stanford eliminated

USC and OSU both have 2-1 records, but USC goes to the Holiday Bowl because it beat OSU head to head.

Isn't that right?

Honestly, I think Arizona is going to beat USC though, so it will probably be them.
John 3:36
sweetft5
One Star Recruit

Post by sweetft5 »

Hoagduck wrote:Okay, bear with me. If we beat Oregon State, SC wins out, and Cal takes care of business in Seattle...SC, Cal, Oregon State, and Stanford all finish in a 6-3 tie with no clear winner. How the heck does that get resolved.
Oh boy, fixed it for you ;)
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

I live in San Diego, they will take a team that travels and stays multiple days. The Holiday Bowl is about bringing visitors to SD. USC fans will drive down the day of the game and then go home. They don't even need to buy a tank of gas.

The recession and empty hotel rooms will drive the committee to select OSU.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

ducksvb6 wrote:I live in San Diego, they will take a team that travels and stays multiple days. The Holiday Bowl is about bringing visitors to SD. USC fans will drive down the day of the game and then go home. They don't even need to buy a tank of gas.

The recession and empty hotel rooms will drive the committee to select OSU.
3 loss OS Ewe, going to the Holiday Bowl? hmmmm....I am not so sure about that one..We shall soon find out though....
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

Let's just win go to the rose and not care where everyone else goes! Thats my vote!
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Biggus Duckus wrote:Seriously, what bowl does Oregon go to if we lose the Civil War?

Wouldn't it still be the holiday bowl? Everyone else already has at least 3 losses.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

duckgrad99 wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:Seriously, what bowl does Oregon go to if we lose the Civil War?

Wouldn't it still be the holiday bowl? Everyone else already has at least 3 losses.

Makes sense to me.....But......lets face it..There is a much larger prize to win....Truly on a National Stage....

Win The Day....Beat the Rodents.....And off to that stage we go...
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

The Holliday Bowl has the first pick of teams after the Rose Bowl. Usually the select the team who finished second in the conference, but I imagine they could take SC (if they beat UA) because of the bowl being in SD and higher TV ratings and we played there last year. That would leave us in the Sun Bowl against possibly a 6-6 ND team.
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
DarronThomas5
Four Star Recruit

Post by DarronThomas5 »

If we lost the Civil War we would still share the Pac-10 title and have 2 conference losses to 3 for everyone else so I think we are assured of at least another trip to San Diego but that is obviously a worse case scenario

As long as we beat my now 2nd least-favorite team, it's all a moot point.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

DarronThomas1 wrote:If we lost the Civil War we would still share the Pac-10 title and have 2 conference losses to 3 for everyone else so I think we are assured of at least another trip to San Diego but that is obviously a worse case scenario

As long as we beat my now 2nd least-favorite team, it's all a moot point.
Agreed....The Holiday Bowl would no doubt seriously look at the Ducks...We travel very well, we spend money....we are rapidly becoming significant in the grand scheme of things....and they like us...
These are all good reasons...
Most likely, the HB selection committee is hoping for a Beaver CW win...Sorry to disappoint, but we have higher aspirations at this time....

I love the Holiday Bowl myself...San Diego is a fun place to be and to play....But, its time for us to step up to the RB this year..and hopefully a larger stage next year..
Yeah, call me crazy...even call me nuts....But, please....Always refer to me as a Duck Fan, as THAT is what I truly am....

GOOOOOOO DUCKS
blackjack17
Three Star Recruit

Post by blackjack17 »

Win = Rose Bowl
Loss = Holiday Bowl

No other options.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

This is one year where a holiday bowl would feel like a huge letdown. Plus, I really don't want to play Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, etc.