A Class on Contemporary Oregon Football

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

A Class on Contemporary Oregon Football

Post by ducksvb6 »

OK class take your seats. Today we will study contemporary Oregon history. Recently you have seen headlines calling the December 3rd Oregon vs OS game "A Civil War like no other." Can anyone tell me why this is false?

OK then, since no one reviewed the assignment including the media let's begin with 1964.

In November of 1964 the Ducks and Beaver faced each other at Corvallis. Both were nationally ranked. Those were nine game regular seasons and the Ducks ( 8-0 ) and Beaver ( 7-0-1 ) were unbeaten. Several factors made that game exceptional. First, UO and OSU had only just returned to the PAC 8. As alway USC was heavily favored to win the conference. SInce neither UO or OSU played USC a perfect storm of controversy was brewing. The method for determining the PAC 8 Rose Bowl representative was a vote by each school for the "most representative" team.

The Beaver were coached by Tommy Prothro. He was a statistics nut. I recall hearing him say that the team that scores first wins 80% of the time ( take note Arizona ). He also had statistics for every possible situations. It was not unusual for OSU to quick punt on 3rd down in long yardage situations. UO Coach Cas, had Bob Berry at QB...no way the Beavs could beat the Duck offense.

OSU did beat my Ducks!. USC ( 7-1 ) had a single game remaining against ND. All they had to do was win according to the national press and they would have the Rose Bowl. They did win....but UW,WSU, OSU, Cal, and UO voted for OSU and the Beaver went on to embarrass the PAC 8 in the Rose Bowl.

I live in San Diego, it is going to be miserable living with the Beavers in my home town during the Holiday Bowl.

The San Gabriel Mountains are a beautiful back drop to the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day, bring your camera! Last year we finished with wins over two team with OSU an abbreviation why not 2 peat this year?

December 3rd WILL be a game like no other and I'm going to be there to see the Ducks erase 1964

I LOVE MY DUCKS!!!
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Re: A Class on Contemporary Oregon Football

Post by Oregonian »

Actually, if the Beavs lose, you won't see them in the Holiday Bowl. It's entirely likely that if they lose this game, they go from a potential Rose Bowl to the Las Vegas Bowl.