Inflation Concern

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Inflation Concern

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Finally had the time to look into the inflation question that was posed back in October and here is what I found and the next steps I will take:

Note: the following data points are from the end of last season

Number of players with a minimum rating of A- in the following categories:

Inside - 18
Outside - 53
Handles - 32
Defense - 125
Rebounding - 45

The number of players with a minimum rating of A- for the inside category looks fine but when you expand the range to a minimum rating of B-, the number balloons to 222 players. I didn't bother looking into the other categories for exact numbers as counting would have taken forever but they all followed the same jump in numbers.

I was shocked to see how many players were sitting above "above average (C+)" ratings across the different stat categories. We should not have 32 "elite" ball handlers in the league and this devalues the top end players who should deserve the high marks.

For next steps, I will look into ways to successfully lower values without it impacting future drafts, FA or team constructions.

Keep in mind that stat values are calculated differently across the positions and similar rating grades do not equal similar production. If you have any ideas, I would like to hear them
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Re: Inflation Concern

Post by Cellar-door »

I'm a fan of phasing guys out.

I think I proposed it earlier, but I think this will eventually work:

Every player 30 years old or older who signs a 1 year deal in FA (including MLE that are not extended) gets retired at the end of the year.
Hornets GM
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Highest handles from a point guard in the draft so far has been 55… we could go back to top ones getting 45. Would be a start and not affecting future drafts. Pretty much how Zyme did it.

For future incentives, we could stop giving GM’s points for articles but let them have first dibs on F/A signings after day 5. 1 per GM that does article. Lowest wins from past season would get the first pick
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

Well the handle letter grade is made up of 85% the passing rating, so I think looking at the letter grade for that is kind of pointless. Point guards are all about handle rating and not turning the ball over.

TOs across the board are pretty high and there are very few PGs who actually score 20+ PPG

Again my suggestion is to just look at the NBA leaderboards and our leaderboards here and try to normalize them.

NBA BPG leader:
1. Brook Lopez 2.6
2. Anthony Davis 2.0
3. Bol Bol 2.0
4. Ivica Zubac 1.9

Now look at the top 10 BPG in this league

3.5 is only the tenth best in DASL

Shot blocking is CLEARLY the most inflated rating here. It's crazy.

Steals per game NBA leaders:
OG Anunoby 2.5
Dejounte Murray 2.0
Luka Doncic 2.0
DSK 1.9

DASL:
10th Brian Quinnett 2.5

If the single highest league leader in the NBA can't even crack the top 10 in stealing and blocking here, that is the problem.

Rebounding is a little inflated also but I don't think it's nearly the problem that the blocking and stealing clearly is.
Kings
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

I'd advise against trying to match 2022 numbers in the game. The game is 20 years old, and sims as such.

When compared to 2001 NBA stats, the blocking is much closer to reality (though still a bit high).
JB
Three Star Recruit

Post by JB »

The Bean Regime wrote:I'd advise against trying to match 2022 numbers in the game. The game is 20 years old, and sims as such.

When compared to 2001 NBA stats, the blocking is much closer to reality (though still a bit high).
1 player from 2001 would crack the top 10 here. But you are correct its a bit closer, I wasn't looking at it like that.
Kings
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Yeah trying to match the real NBA is not what (the proverbial) you should be doing. Just limiting some of the talent so there aren't guys on your IR who can come in and drop 20ppg or whatever
SUNS GM
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Cellar-door wrote:I'm a fan of phasing guys out.

Every player 30 years old or older who signs a 1 year deal in FA (including MLE that are not extended) gets retired at the end of the year.
What exactly are you solving for here?
SUNS GM
Cellar-door
Senior

Post by Cellar-door »

Craig wrote:

It will filter out a lot of the mid-tier guys quickly allowing the new draftees (with I assume more tailored ratings) to become a larger part of the league. Stars stay stars, but now we won't have like the 8th guy on a contender have top ratings.
Hornets GM
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Cellar-door wrote:
Craig wrote:

It will filter out a lot of the mid-tier guys quickly allowing the new draftees (with I assume more tailored ratings) to become a larger part of the league. Stars stay stars, but now we won't have like the 8th guy on a contender have top ratings.
So like...Sean Elliot retires after this season?
SUNS GM
Cellar-door
Senior

Post by Cellar-door »

Craig wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:
Craig wrote:

So like...Sean Elliot retires after this season?
I assume Ownage would put in a grace period and start it next year, but yes, generally teams will have to either give multi-year deals or let guys retire. It would filter out those "too good" bench guys each year. (My guess is Warriors would have actually given Elliot 2 years, but that in it's own way changes to market and helps thin out inflated guys.
Hornets GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

retirement seems extreme?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I don't think we should only be focusing on one specific attribute. The ratings are inflated across the board for all types of players (starters, 6th men, bench, and scrubs).

Retiring people early won't solve the problem, and making drafts worse will also not solve the problem.

Maybe we just reset in a decade or so and just tolerate the inflation?

Or, I think we figure out some sort of fair process that reduce attributes of players across the board.

The problem is that everybody has good ratings that it's hard to distinguish legitimate all-stars from role players....players keep inflation and there are too many "B" and "A" ratings nowadays. Whereas as real life inflation has no limit, we DO have a limit in ratings...

so I think we just need to lower ratings across the board somehow for the entire league. not sure how to do this.
Cellar-door
Senior

Post by Cellar-door »

UOducksTK1 wrote:retirement seems extreme?
I think it makes sense, unless we want to just nerf the whole player pool, which I assume is an insane amount of work.
I also think it helps by making 1 year deals for good players less common, that is it's own flaw in how FBB works, it doesn't consider the value of multi-year deals well, so we get really unrealistic stuff.
Hornets GM
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Decline everyone’s defense by 5 points every five seasons;

Bigs: Blocking
Wings: Perimeter defense
Point Guards: Stealing