Backup PG eligibility

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Should only PG's and PG eligible players play PG?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 23
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Backup PG eligibility

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Current Rule: You can only start players listed as a PG at the PG position. The only exception is if a player not listed at a PG is marked as PG eligible in his draft notes. SF and SG players can play backup PG.

Proposed Rule: Only PG's and PG eligible players can play PG (start and backup)

Currently, we have many teams playing a non-PG (or PG eligible) player as second or third string PG on the depth chart. This is something I have abused in the past as well but moving forward I feel we should restrict that position to only PG's and PG eligible players for multiple reasons including: gives PGs more value in backup roles and roster construction, more players gaining PG eligibility in future drafts who are tweeners (have been reluctant to give this to players in the past due to the current rule and how many good PG's are in the league) and avoids the issue come playoff time where a PG gets injured and an overpowered player gets to start at PG in crucial games.

This would be implemented starting next season if voted and agreed upon.

Let me know your thoughts
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Re: Backup PG eligibility

Post by bellsduck »

I want to know how you're gonna handle players like Damian Lillard or Lebron James. Players that aren't PGs but in real life bring the ball up the court the majority of the time.
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

bellsduck wrote:I want to know how you're gonna handle players like Damian Lillard or Lebron James. Players that aren't PGs but in real life bring the ball up the court the majority of the time.
Cant say I've ever seen someone claim that Lillard isnt a PG lol. I would bet he is made as a PG and LeBron is a SF who might even be locked to SF/PF/C.

Either way, this is not the point of the PG eligibility rule anyway.
SUNS GM
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I voted that backups is fine

I like using combo guards at the backup 1/2 personally
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Only voted yes cause I like a challenge and yes I abused this rule too
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

bellsduck wrote:I want to know how you're gonna handle players like Damian Lillard or Lebron James. Players that aren't PGs but in real life bring the ball up the court the majority of the time.

I think with LeBron he will have more inside scoring, passing, quickness, jumping and strength. Lillard will definitely be more outside shooter with passing and on the ball and perimeter defense

Hard to judge cause of how drafts are constructed. I’d like to see LeBron at PG in the game but I don’t think it’s fair to the other teams
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

jibbajabba614 wrote:

I think with LeBron he will have more inside scoring, passing, quickness, jumping and strength. Lillard will definitely be more outside shooter with passing and on the ball and perimeter defense

Hard to judge cause of how drafts are constructed. I’d like to see LeBron at PG in the game but I don’t think it’s fair to the other teams
While we have probably too many superstars as it is. Lebron is not fair to the league IRL.

In his prime he probably was a A B+ C+ B+ B- type player. Great finishing, solid outside, capable at handling, good defender, capable rebounder.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

Zyme wrote:
jibbajabba614 wrote:

While we have probably too many superstars as it is. Lebron is not fair to the league IRL.

In his prime he probably was a A B+ C+ B+ B- type player. Great finishing, solid outside, capable at handling, good defender, capable rebounder.
B+ defense is an insult, and I honestly think C+ handling for him is an insult as well.
---

PistolPeteJR
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

What is the argument for NOT changing it? Just the possibility of being able to exploit it is too much to give up? :lol:
SUNS GM
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

Craig wrote:What is the argument for NOT changing it? Just the possibility of being able to exploit it is too much to give up? :lol:
I'd argue that it would hurt the value of tweener combo guards. Think of a SG rated something like C+ A- B- B- D.

Too poor rebounding to backup SF, so if they cannot play backup PG either, they're shoehorned into either starting SG (in which case, unaffected), or JUST backup SG

That's the only thing I can think of, so I support more power to the PG! And to avoid Blazers cheating this way in the playoffs again smh.

Would that mean we all need to roster 2 PGs though from next season on if passed? and then sign another if there's an injury?
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

I honestly voted that we change it too. Having said that, we do need to be careful with future players entering the league because the later we get, the more we have to sort players who really could and did play PG. We need a concrete rule in place to ensure these are all handled fairly (eg. Bballref is king).

LeBron is a good example here. Bballref has him listed as SF, PF, PG and SG. Are we going to say he can’t play PG because then he’s OP? Should we do that and nerf him? If we do, is it fair? What’s to say he meets his potential anyway?
---

PistolPeteJR
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Need more "no" votes so I can play Jerome Lane as super-sub @ backup PG!

He will dominate !!!
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Need more "no" votes so I can play Jerome Lane as super-sub @ backup PG!

He will dominate !!!
Well that would be illegal in the first place since he came into the league as a PF so he cant touch PG

Nefarious Nets at it again
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Post by offtheheezy »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:Need more "no" votes so I can play Jerome Lane as super-sub @ backup PG!

He will dominate !!!
Well that would be illegal in the first place since he came into the league as a PF so he cant touch PG
Nefarious Nets at it again
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

The Bean Regime wrote:Would that mean we all need to roster 2 PGs though from next season on if passed? and then sign another if there's an injury?
Yes, teams would need at least two active PGs on their DC