USC could still get an at large bid

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

USC could still get an at large bid

Post by karlhungis »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4686466

Give me a break. So there is a scenario where if we lose the Civil War game that OSU and USC would be in BCS bowls and we would be on the outside looking in. Wow....
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Re: USC could still get an at large bid

Post by wheaton4prez »

That wouldn't make sense. But, it wasn't completely clear to me that it was saying that Oregon doesn't also have an at-large shot if it misses the automatic qualifier.

Seems like a long-shot. But, would love to see the Pac-10 get an at-large in addition to the Ducks in the Rose Bowl. Just that either Boise State or TCU would have a fit over it.

I really don't think Oklahoma State deserves to be on the short list. They almost lost to Colorado. With Bryant, yes. Without, would be a waste of a BCS game.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

All I know is that USC does not deserve a BCS bowl this year. For that matter, neither does Miami as the article suggests.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I'd agree that USC doesn't. But, given how many years teams from other conferences that didn't deserve at-larges got them and that the additional cash is shared amongst the conference, I wouldn't be too bummed if they got one.

I also think they could beat a lot of the teams making bowls.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

if we where to lose, is there any way we could get an at large bid?
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

And a 3-loss Oregon wouldn't?? That's ridiculous. USC clearly doesn't deserve a BCS bid. They lost to an unranked team, a now unranked team, and #8. Oregon has lost to #6, a now unranked team, (and if Oregon lost of OSewe) a potentially top 15 team. Nonetheless, If Oregon does lose the CW, neither team deserves to get in over the all of the undefeated/1-loss teams still left.
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

As much as I agree that USC in no way deserves a BCS bid this year, I'd have to say that it would still be a good thing for the conference. We're talking big bucks here guys and "deserve" has nothing to do with it, in this case.

The bowls have to look at the situation like, "this is a down economy and who is going to bring the biggest fan base, be the most attractive matchup, has the biggest and best tradition, etc".

I know that there are several athletic departments in the conference that could definitely use the extra money.
John 3:36