BB NCAA Super Regional: ORU @ Oregon (June 9-11)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: BB NCAA Super Regional: ORU @ Oregon (June 9-11)

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I like Wandowski but can’t figure out his decision making when it comes to relieving pitchers.

This is definitely a bummer it looks like, to win in postseason baseball you need great pitching, and Oregon has some of the worst pitching you’ll see in D1 baseball. I was hoping maybe they’d get a nice winning streak and maybe make a super regional, but once I saw they were hosting ORU I hoped they’d get to Omaha only to get crushed by the great teams in the CWS. This team reminds me of the football team, good offense, but just horrendous pitching, similar to the Oregon defense, that’s far from unreliable especially if the bats aren’t hot.

Jake Angler has some work to do this offseason, I know there were injuries but the pitching shouldn’t be this awful. If the pitching doesn’t improve next season Wandalowski needs to find a new pitching coach. The way this entire pitching staff loses control so quickly astounds me, I’ve never seen it before. Sucks for the team that the most important position is by far the weakest group and a huge liability.
They've been having to rely on so many FR due to injuries so it's not all on the pitching coach. To even be in this position is amazing considering what they have to work with for most of the season.
I know injuries have derailed the season but I still don’t think a pitching staff at the D1 level should consistently lose control like this pitching staff has, even if there are quite a few freshmen. I was saying that if the pitching staff isn’t better, which they should be, unless crazy injuries happen again, then it may be a pitching coach problem. I feel for this team though.
The FR have thrown into situations they probably should too early because of injuries. They have their moments of being good but it's just not consistent. That comes with experience and more work on their mechanics and bodies.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Do our pitchers know that loading the bases isn't a prerequisite to getting out of innings?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

9-5 ORU after Olson walks in a run. Duck pitchers just haven't made it easy today.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks walk in another run to make it 10-5. Oregon's normally decent offense has been let down by their thin pitching.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Olson plunks the batter on a 3-2 count and brings in another run. That's 11 runs on only 8 hits for ORU today. Waz and Angier just have no answers in the bullpen.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I like Wandowski but can’t figure out his decision making when it comes to relieving pitchers.

This is definitely a bummer it looks like, to win in postseason baseball you need great pitching, and Oregon has some of the worst pitching you’ll see in D1 baseball. I was hoping maybe they’d get a nice winning streak and maybe make a super regional, but once I saw they were hosting ORU I hoped they’d get to Omaha only to get crushed by the great teams in the CWS. This team reminds me of the football team, good offense, but just horrendous pitching, similar to the Oregon defense, that’s far from unreliable especially if the bats aren’t hot.

Jake Angler has some work to do this offseason, I know there were injuries but the pitching shouldn’t be this awful. If the pitching doesn’t improve next season Wandalowski needs to find a new pitching coach. The way this entire pitching staff loses control so quickly astounds me, I’ve never seen it before. Sucks for the team that the most important position is by far the weakest group and a huge liability.
They've been having to rely on so many FR due to injuries so it's not all on the pitching coach. To even be in this position is amazing considering what they have to work with for most of the season.
I know injuries have derailed the season but I still don’t think a pitching staff at the D1 level should consistently lose control like this pitching staff has, even if there are quite a few freshmen. I was saying that if the pitching staff isn’t better, which they should be, unless crazy injuries happen again, then it may be a pitching coach problem. I feel for this team though.
The FR have thrown into situations they probably should too early because of injuries. They have their moments of being good but it's just not consistent. That comes with experience and more work on their mechanics and bodies.
Eh we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t expect them to be amazing BUT at the D1 level no pitching staff should be this bad. There’s struggling, then there’s flat out being awful and throwing games away which this pitching staff has done consistently.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon finally gets out of T9 but it's now 11-5. Final three outs of the season potentially coming up.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

hate to go back to yesterday, but that ending was very 2012 oregon baseball... this program is just so cursed
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Eh we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t expect them to be amazing BUT at the D1 level no pitching staff should be this bad. There’s struggling, then there’s flat out being awful and throwing games away which this pitching staff has done consistently.
Yes it shouldn't be this bad but that is what happens when they're forced to throw guys who likely should have been redshirting. Missing guys like Ayon, Stoffal, Grabmann, Gordon, and Mosiello who can typically eat up or be solid for innings is tough to overcome. They have to hope those guys return healthy, the young guys really improve, and they can find some decent arms in recruiting and the portal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Good to see Tanner Smith get his likely final RBI there. 11-6 ORU.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Season is over as Drew Smith grounds into an easy out. It was a good season but one that was ultimately let down by no pitching when they needed it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

I certainly don’t disagree, I’m sure they’ll improve next year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I mean it was a cute season, but each time an oregon sport makes waves and goes beyond expectatiosn, usually it falls flat the next year
ElPatoLoco
One Star Recruit

Post by ElPatoLoco »

Cute…nice season. True. Which is why you need to enjoy the moment. The 2023 team did well. They represented the UofO beyond expectations. Not perfect but I have nothing but great memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk