2024 Roster?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

2024 Roster?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

How is the 2024 roster looking? As far as I know, we will have the following losses, some big ones.

Graduating:
-Tanner Smith
-Drew Crowley
-Gavin Grant

Most likely will leave:
-Rikuu Nishida
-Sabin Ceballos

Am I missing anyone?

Some big losses but overall a very young team. I do expect them to be better overall with the young pitchers getting an offseason to improve and injured pitchers coming back.
greenyellow

Re: 2024 Roster?

Post by greenyellow »

-It'll likely look pretty different next year. Just off graduations, they'll lose Grant, Cowley, Tanner Smith, Dallas and Mollerus. I could see them possibly losing Shade, Nishida, Ceballos, and maybe Walsh and Thompson to the draft.
-Ayon and Stoffal should return after having injuries. There'll likely be a few defections of the FR pitchers as they make room for new recruits and transfers.
-They've got a few young guys like Drew Smith, Jaha, Garate, and Hellman who should compete for starting INF/DH spots if they return.
-Catcher should be solid with Thompson if he return plus they've got Isaiah Cromwick and Aroz.
-They'll likely have Boettcher and maybe Nishida if he returns in the OF. They have a JC All-American in Tafton Hensley who got stuck behind the normal rotation of OF guys so it'll be interesting if sticks around.
-As for Oregon's 2023 recruits, there are some high end guys in P Noble Meyer, C Eric Bitonti, and P Toby Twist but it remains to be seen if they ever show up because of how high they'll be drafted. There may be a few more who end up as contributors but many likely will need a year or two of development. Not really sure who they've gotten from the JC ranks and who they'll be targeting in the transfer portal.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:-It'll likely look pretty different next year. Just off graduations, they'll lose Grant, Cowley, Tanner Smith, Dallas and Mollerus. I could see them possibly losing Shade, Nishida, Ceballos, and maybe Walsh and Thompson to the draft.
-Ayon and Stoffal should return after having injuries. There'll likely be a few defections of the FR pitchers as they make room for new recruits and transfers.
-They've got a few young guys like Drew Smith, Jaha, Garate, and Hellman who should compete for starting INF/DH spots if they return.
-Catcher should be solid with Thompson if he return plus they've got Isaiah Cromwick and Aroz.
-They'll likely have Boettcher and maybe Nishida if he returns in the OF. They have a JC All-American in Tafton Hensley who got stuck behind the normal rotation of OF guys so it'll be interesting if sticks around.
-As for Oregon's 2023 recruits, there are some high end guys in P Noble Meyer, C Eric Bitonti, and P Toby Twist but it remains to be seen if they ever show up because of how high they'll be drafted. There may be a few more who end up as contributors but many likely will need a year or two of development. Not really sure who they've gotten from the JC ranks and who they'll be targeting in the transfer portal.
Thanks for the info and for all of your helpful and informative posts! I didn’t realize how much turnover there’d be, I kept hearing how this is a young team so assumed it’d largely look the same. Given you’re the most knowledgeable of Oregon baseball on here, what’s a realistic expectations next season?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I wouldn't say the most knowledgeable; probably more just a big reader and listener of podcasts/interviews. Based on what those people have said, goal should still be for at least a regional berth but it's hard to know without seeing who's on the roster come fall. I'd say the pitching should be improved with all the experience gained but the offense/defense will likely take a step back with them potentially losing Cowley, Smith, Ceballos, Shade, Walsh, and Nishida.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

At least two transfers are happening as UTL Tyler Ganus and P Andrew Mosiello have entered the portal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

C Josiah Cromwick has hit the portal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Here's a look at some of the players in the transfer portal. Only one surprise as Hensley is in the portal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They've added Elon OF/INF Justin Cassella as a transfer. As a JR this past season, he hit .343 with 17 HRs and 43 RBIs.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

We likely won't be seeing top signee Noble Meyer as he went 10th overall to the Marlins.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon INF signee Eric Bitonti has gone at #87 to the Brewers Oregon 3B Sabin Ceballos has gone #94 to the Braves.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Good for them, but it sure would’ve been nice to see them all in Oregon jerseys next year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon P Jace Stoffal has been selected #237 by the Twins Oregon OF Colby Shade has been selected #263 by the Marlins
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon P Josh Mollerus has been selected at #304 by the Blue Jays.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon INF/OF Rikku Nishida has been selected #329 by the White Sox. Oregon P signee Kehden Hettiger has been selected #343 by the Phillies.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon P signee Jacob Bresnahan as been selected #398 by the Guardians.