Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Blazers 2023-2024 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

I've watched a decent amount of the games this year and the defensive energy is there despite the uneven roster night to night due to the injuries.

If this squad was healthy for the first 14 games they might have 7 wins (instead of 3) which I think would be counted as a major development as it relates to the comment about the team being win-now with the 5th youngest team in the league. Without Simons to help create spacing and be a solid go-to option late, it's forcing more than Shaedon is ready to handle right now and teams are taking advantage defensively by loading up on him.

If Scoot's injury does help in some small way it could be as you said Pez, in that he clearly needs to come off the bench right now as it will help give him better opportunities early on against 2nd units.

Healthy (ha ha) Starters: Malcolm, Anfernee, Shaedon, Jerami, DeAndre
Reserves: Scoot, Matisse, Toumani, Jabari, Duop

There was always a risk with Williams III about injuries and frankly all of the various injuries would normally require an emergency audit of the team's physical training staff but this is the cheapskate blazers so I imagine players are going to continue to get injured which will ensure the most important thing they could do this year and that's get another Top 5 pick.

As it is, I think playoff teams will look at what Brogdan and Grant are doing right now (without Simons taking those shots) and be willing to give up decent trade returns for them by the trade deadline.

Post Deadline Starters: Scoot, Anfernee, Shaedon, Toumani, DeAndre
Reserves: Skylar Mays, Matisse, Kris Murray, Jabari, Duop plus whatever expiring contracts they got in return like Kyle Lowry from Miami, lol!

This team needs a Top 5 pick at SF, PF or C so it is perhaps beneficial to that end that the first 1/6 of the season has been derailed in large part by injury.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Agree with pretty much all of what you just said, especially this:
This team needs a Top 5 pick at SF, PF or C so it is perhaps beneficial to that end that the first 1/6 of the season has been derailed in large part by injury.
I really like what I've seen from Ayton. I could definitely see him being the center we need with a contending roster. Where I think we need the most help is at the 3 or 4. Camara has been a nice story, but we need a stud at one of those positions. I'd almost go so far to say that our best player needs to be a frontcourt player, and we clearly don't have that guy on our roster yet. I'm completely fine with eating losses for another two or three years if that means we might draft him.

Regarding the medical staff, I heard the other day on Rip City Radio that we've already changed medical staffs like three times in recent years. Pretty crazy. I think Portland is just a bit snakebitten for now, but at least this is a good year for that.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Blazers blow a 26 pt 3rd quarter lead in loss to Lillard and Bucks
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

bellsduck wrote:Blazers blow a 26 pt 3rd quarter lead in loss to Lillard and Bucks
Beautiful end of game officiating to help give the Bucks the win and the PTB the needed loss. Now 2 games in a row they've overturned a defensive foul inside the restricted zone against an opponent late. Once Simons returns they'll start winning more games than they have any business winning.

Scoot is now 5-7 from 3pt since he put his new contacts in.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm glad Billups is seeing fit to start Brogdon and bring Scoot off the bench. The Blazers actually have some nice veteran players, Brogdon, Grant, and Ayton, and they are starting to form a halfway competitive team. Simons coming back should help with the scoring load. They are not deep yet, but I can see the potential for depth at least, which is a refreshing change.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

How long do the blazers roll with billups? He can’t coach D to save his life. This team isn’t great, but giving up 120 every night doesn’t help.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:How long do the blazers roll with billups? He can’t coach D to save his life. This team isn’t great, but giving up 120 every night doesn’t help.
He's in Year 3 of 5 on his contract so I'm not expecting him to be fired during the season and I'd put it at a marginal chance he's fired in the off-season. Vulcan doesn't care, it's all about the management fees for them.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote:How long do the blazers roll with billups? He can’t coach D to save his life. This team isn’t great, but giving up 120 every night doesn’t help.
The Blazers aren't expected to do anything for at least a couple more years. Knowing that, and knowing that bad coaching makes for higher draft picks, he'll probably be allowed to coach throughout the life of his contract. The sad part is that this blazers team has been in quite a few games, and they've already dealt with a ton of injuries. If healthy and with a good coach, they might be ahead of schedule.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Drexler, Porter, Kersey, Ainge, Duckworth (RIP), Williams..............can someone call and see if they can suit up? GOOD LAWD.............
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

QuackininBama wrote:Drexler, Porter, Kersey, Ainge, Duckworth (RIP), Williams..............can someone call and see if they can suit up? GOOD LAWD.............
Billups needs to go, and Jody Allen needs to fire herself
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Well, we can see why they kept Brogdon. When he gets the night off, they are just not very good. Hopefully Henderson improves with seasoning. He sure doesn't look very good so far.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Blazers were all in on Scoot. Trying not to be a hater, but he has been awful. His plus/minus every game has been terrible (-56 tonight). I know he is young, but I expected much more from the third pick. Am I off base? Did the Blazers make a mistake? I’m just seeing a turnover machine that can’t shoot worth sh*t. That and he got absolutely torched by Shai tonight. I just don’t see the upside. Bad pick so far. I don’t know if Jody is just waiting for the new TV deal, but she has to relinquish ownership of this team. Let someone, anyone that has any semblance of ‘want to win’ lead this team. Ownership is a disaster, not that she gives a crap, and is profiting regardless of the teams ineptitude. I want to see fans at games with signs telling her to sell the team already, that they are pissed off. But if they are selling seats to suckers, she won’t care. Wish the fans would just stop buying seats, or paying Root Sports for the feed. Hit her in the pocket.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Everythingsducky wrote:Blazers were all in on Scoot. Trying not to be a hater, but he has been awful. His plus/minus every game has been terrible (-56 tonight). I know he is young, but I expected much more from the third pick. Am I off base? Did the Blazers make a mistake? I’m just seeing a turnover machine that can’t shoot worth sh*t. That and he got absolutely torched by Shai tonight. I just don’t see the upside. Bad pick so far. I don’t know if Jody is just waiting for the new TV deal, but she has to relinquish ownership of this team. Let someone, anyone that has any semblance of ‘want to win’ lead this team. Ownership is a disaster, not that she gives a crap, and is profiting regardless of the teams ineptitude. I want to see fans at games with signs telling her to sell the team already, that they are pissed off. But if they are selling seats to suckers, she won’t care. Wish the fans would just stop buying seats, or paying Root Sports for the feed. Hit her in the pocket.
Sadly, I think there's a greater chance she moves the team to Seattle than she sells it to someone keeping the team in Portland.

Scoot is super young - true sophomore in college - so at this point, all you want to see is athletic ability and the sense he gets it. I think the move to put him back in the starting lineup and bring Brogdon off the bench is a mistake. Scoot needs a mentor, and needs to earn his spot. Anfernee and Shaedon really aren't playing the way you need them to to be a future contender, and I'd put Anfernee on the trade block.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

Even for an NBA team there is a complete lack of movement on offense. I think I saw Sharpe just stand in the corner on 4-5 consecutive possessions. Athletic/slashing guards need to move. Set some back cuts, some double screens, any kind of screen action to at least get this guy moving.

The easiest person to guard in basketball is a guy who doesnt move. Just terrible terrible coaching.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I wasn't thrilled on Scoot during the draft... a small guard who can't shoot isn't exactly today's prototype all-star. But man, he's been worse than I imagined. He's had a few good games, but most of the time... yikes.

I don't think the Blazers should be in any rush to try to win more games. The roster is still woefully incomplete. Still too many guards and not enough high-ceiling frontcourt talent. Too few scorers. Only a couple of real shooters. No coach could win with this roster.

I don't think Billups is the answer but I think the Blazers should wait until the end of his contract to replace him. I don't want a new coach coming in and having to suffer the same kind of PR nightmare that Billups has had to endure.
Willie Taggart is a dick.