Portland to get WNBA expansion team

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Portland to get WNBA expansion team

Post by greenyellow »

According to sources, it sounds like Portland may be getting a WNBA expansion team, likely by 2025. An announcement will likely be made on Sunday.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Portland to get WNBA expansion team

Post by Everythingsducky »

Rather go to the Blazer G-league games, but anything positive for the city is welcomed. How about some freaking BASEBALL?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Didn’t Portland already lose a wnba team? Mayb they can be the Portland browns?
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Honestly rather watch HS men's basketball. Women's basketball is just not that fun to watch....at all.. The girl from Uconn (Bueckers) is probably the only player I've ever seen that doesn't play like a woman.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Awesome news! More hoops & the time seems right to give this another shot. The Thorns averaged more than 15k fans/game last year and I bet a local WNBA team could do equally well. I've enjoyed women's hoops since my years at UofO and would to have a local team to root for.

Portland's former team was the Fire... only lasted a few years and folded 20 years ago. Lots has changed since then re: the elevation of women's sports in America. I'd be shocked if the Portland area didn't fully embrace a new WNBA team.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I don't understand the disdain that some folks have about this. If you want to get into the details, the WNBA's Commissioner has mismanaged their product at the very time it's been its most popular. Expansion will certainly be good out West to balance the league more.

The WNBA and the MLS are essentially on par with each other for tv views, with exception now for Messi, which shouldn't be confused with the MLS at large either.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Cool news. Went to some Fire games back in the day (shout out Jackie Stiles). Do we know who the ownership group is?

Yes, still want baseball. Badly. But this doesn't take away from that and is a net positive for the Portland Metro.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Cool news. Went to some Fire games back in the day (shout out Jackie Stiles). Do we know who the ownership group is?

Yes, still want baseball. Badly. But this doesn't take away from that and is a net positive for the Portland Metro.
Zoominfo guy, can't recall his name.

The Blazers have helped him in the process but I'm glad to see that Vulcan isn't a part of the ownership group in any way (that's been disclosed).
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Duck07 wrote:I don't understand the disdain that some folks have about this. If you want to get into the details, the WNBA's Commissioner has mismanaged their product at the very time it's been its most popular. Expansion will certainly be good out West to balance the league more.

The WNBA and the MLS are essentially on par with each other for tv views, with exception now for Messi, which shouldn't be confused with the MLS at large either.
Woman's basketball is just boring and one of the sports where the contrast in product is so vast between men and women. What you want people to say?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I look forward to it. At minimum I'll go to games when NY and Dallas are in town despite the fact I prefer watching pro and college sports on TV rather than live anymore. I get enough live sports watching my grand kids and grand nephews and nieces in high school and club.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I look forward to it. At minimum I'll go to games when NY and Dallas are in town despite the fact I prefer watching pro and college sports on TV rather than live anymore. I get enough live sports watching my grand kids and grand nephews and nieces in high school and club.
Hear you on that Gramps.
Had 2 Volleyball and a soccer game last night and 4 more soccer games tomorrow. Leaves very little time for Football.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

buckmarkduck wrote:Didn’t Portland already lose a wnba team? Mayb they can be the Portland browns?
Two of them if you include the Portland Power
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Although I'm happy to see Portland get a WNBA team, there's a part of me that wonders if expansion may not be good for the league. I feel like the talent level may get watered down.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Sabrina about to play in her first Championship game on ABC.