What did we learn about our team?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

What did we learn about our team?

Post by Phalanx »

Probably starting this thread too early, as the 'Fire-Lanning-because-we-lost' crowd are still about, but I wanted to get possible observations while they are still fresh in our minds. It feels like we are just now getting to see the real Oregon Ducks as they just played maybe the first good team so far this season. I thought it was a great game. I wish Lanning had kicked that field goal at the end of the half, and I think I would also have punted at the end, but I take the 2pt conversions with the bad. Just my 2 cents, and feel free to add yours:

1. Love the defensive line today. Pressure on a QB not used to pressure, goal line stand at a crucial moment in the game, and cleaner than expected on penalties. They almost won the game for the Ducks.

2. I'm not sure it shows up in the stats, but the passing game outside of Franklin feels weak. I hope this staff is better at scoping out receivers they can use than star-chasing Mario was.

3. The Ducks just went into one of the more hostile environments in the country against an NFL QB and an NFL receiver, and nearly won anyway. I think Oregon is a good team, and the playoffs are still a possibility.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: What did we learn about our team?

Post by chapelhillduck »

We got both players and coaches with the mentality to win a championship. Chip had the mentality and players, coaches since Chip haven’t.

Feeling damn good about the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I wanted to add that I really like the focus on depth as well. I know QB depth is an issue, but overall, it feels like Lanning is building a team that can withstand some punches, and that has not always been the case at Oregon. Mario's recruiting always felt like fool's gold to me, but the guys Lanning and staff are bringing in make me feel like they know something about evaluating talent.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

This team will never win a championship
OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

That I don't trust Dan Lanning to win a big game, until he improves his in-game decision making...
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

If you look at the numbers, the Ducks outplayed Washington in virtually every way, with the one exception being 4th down efficiency. I was a bit skeptical about the Ducks being the better team going into the game. It turns out the Ducks did in fact have the *better team...and lost anyway.

* I guess the only caveat would be that the Huskies losing McMillan early in the game certainly helped. Who knows to what degree.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

OregonDucks wrote:That I don't trust Dan Lanning to win a big game, until he improves his in-game decision making...
The decisions weren't bad. The play calls were the problem. You should have a play ready to go that will net you 3 yards. They failed to execute on that 3 critical times.

I haven't been a big fan of the defense this year, but like the Texas Tech game, they did their part. They could've done much more but they put the team in a position to win. The offense did a subpar job.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

If you knew these things before the game started, how likely would you think it was that the Ducks lost?

* Bo Nix is going to throw for more yards than Penix. Bo will complete 33 of 44 passes for 337 yards and no interceptions.

* The lone turnover in the game is a Penix interception.

* The Ducks are going to rush for more than twice the number of yards (204 vs. 99) at a better per rush average (5.1 ypc).

* The Ducks are going to outgain Washington by over 100 total yards (541 vs. 415).

* The Ducks are going to convert on over 60% of 3rd downs, while holding Washington to under 50% on 3rd down.

It is unbelievable this equated to a loss.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It doesn’t feel like Lanning and Stein are on the same page about specially when it comes to 4th downs. Is Lanning making the decision or is it Stein? With Chip and Dilly it felt like the 4th down decisions were made before it was 4th down, but with Lanning and Stein it feels like the 4th down attempts are reactive more than proactive.

I do believe in Lanning and I believe Oregon has a brother future with Washington but this one hurts a lot. I’m ok with the aggressive decisions, but feel that Lanning and Stein can have better situational awareness.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:If you knew these things before the game started, how likely would you think it was that the Ducks lost?

* Bo Nix is going to throw for more yards than Penix. Bo will complete 33 of 44 passes for 337 yards and no interceptions.

* The Ducks are going to rush for more than twice the number of yards (204 vs. 99) at a better per rush average (5.1 ypc).

* The Ducks are going to outgain Washington by over 100 total yards (541 vs. 415).

* The Ducks are going to convert on over 60% of 3rd downs, while holding Washington to under 50% on 3rd down.

It comes down to easy points left on the field. It really is that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

They did not play well/clean enough. They have to win out now, most likely, to get a second shot at them. I do not think the game will end up like this one if they play each other again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

gogreen55 wrote:If you knew these things before the game started, how likely would you think it was that the Ducks lost?

Well if you leave out the 0/3 on 4th downs then sure, but that seems like a pretty big omission. It equates to essentially 3 turnovers.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

pudgejeff wrote:

Well if you leave out the 0/3 on 4th downs then sure, but that seems like a pretty big omission. It equates to essentially 3 turnovers.
Yeah, that's the point. You apparently didn't read the entire thread.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

1. This team is really good, but not great. They just haven't been able to win the "big one" in the Lanning era. Thankfully, the schedule allows a few more opportunities to figure it out.

2. The DL looks much improved from last year ... there's no way that goal line stand happens a year ago. Also, the depth is real.

3. While the DL looks fantastic, the back 7, sans a player or two (today Bridges/Jackson), leaves a lot to be desired. We really struggle tackling in open space. I'm still waiting for that ball-hawking Safety to arrive on campus.

4. Bucky is incredible.

5. Lanning is now 0-3 against our rivals, blowing 4th quarter leads in the process in each of those contests. I'm not even suggesting the seat is even a tad warm, just noting it's not the right direction. Successful Oregon coaches do NOT lose to Oregon State and Washington. I just don't want this to turn into a Lloyd Carr/Jim Tressel situation. It seems like Lanning lets the moment get to him and his decision-making becomes more heart than head. He'll have a few more opportunities the rest of the way this year to right the ship.

6. The offensive play-calling left a lot to be desired. It was too conservative and safe for the majority of the game. It's no coincidence Oregon made their run in the second-half when they put pressure on the UW defense deep down the field ... simply too many check-downs, too many short routes throughout the day.

7. Overall, I thought Oregon played thier B game and still put themselves in position late to win on the road in a very hostile environment. If they can ever figure out how to click on all cylinders away from Autzen, they will be dangerous down the stretch.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

I would have liked to see more “run it down their throat”, power football in short yardage situations. Our O line was better equipped for that than their D line.