Husky Stadium Trip Report

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Husky Stadium Trip Report

Post by Tray Dub »

After asking the board about what to expect for a Duck fan in Husky stadium, I said I'd post a recap of my experience going to the game. In short, it was awesome. Up until the very end, anyways.

We got to the stadium about 2.5 hours early and tailgated over on the lake side. Really nice setting and the buzz was palpable immediately, both in terms of alcohol and excitement. We were pretty decked out in Ducks gear but the fan interaction was mostly pretty tame. Had a couple college kids woof in our general direction but no big deal. The funniest, borderline rudest thing was some bread tossed at our feet, but I thought that was more funny than offensive (and apparently Duck fans sometimes throw kibble at Husky fans so fair is fair). Inside the stadium was similar, lots of excitement, nothing too rude. Had lots of fan chatter and interaction in our section but it was all in good fun. Gotta give the Huskies credit, it was really loud and the crowd seemed like it knew what it was doing. There weren't as many Duck fans as I had hoped there would be either, to be honest, but those of us who were there got plenty loud too. When we lost there was a lot of "we'll see you in the conference championship" and only a little gloating.

I went to the Joey Harrington Fiesta Bowl against Colorado back in 2002 with my dad, that will always be my best Ducks-related traveling experience. Yesterday was easily second though. Really sucks that we couldn't pull it out at the end and I personally spent the evening pretty depressed, but still, it was a great time until then. If there's ever another big UW-UO game up in Seattle, I'd recommend going if you can.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Husky Stadium Trip Report

Post by Phalanx »

Thanks for the recap, Tray. I'm glad you had a good experience. Wonder if it would have been altered if the Ducks had pulled it out.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Thanks for posting. I went to Husky stadium back in 2009 and I thought Husky fans were great. There were a few trash talkers but most were polite, wanted to talk football, and was even offered beer by a few tailgaters I walked by. Just off the top of my head I can think of four fanbases I’ve dealt with in person that were worse, LSU (by far the worst), Oregon State, Washington State, and Wisconsin.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Never been so like to hear peoples stories, thanks for sharing.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I didn’t go, but the report from my brother in law who is a husky, was that UO had a ton more fans there than anyone else has had. Says we basically took 3 sections and UO fans were super loud in the second half. Also have been told from duck fans husky fans weren’t super loud.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't know if we're in some weird bond because of the move to the Big Ten, or due to the early kick time, but this was by far the most friendly I've ever experienced the husky friends. Had a great experience with the folks around us in the 300-level. Lots of friendly chiding of each other throughout the game, but nothing that ever went beyond fun and games.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't know if we're in some weird bond because of the move to the Big Ten, or due to the early kick time, but this was by far the most friendly I've ever experienced the husky friends. Had a great experience with the folks around us in the 300-level. Lots of friendly chiding of each other throughout the game, but nothing that ever went beyond fun and games.
I think going to the B1G as well as the antics of the little brothers (WSU and OSU) have made the fanbases feel more aligned.

What also surprised me was that most Husky fans I saw on twitter were admitting Oregon should’ve won and looked like the better team. Obviously some dumb Husky and Duck fans but most acknowledged that it was a great game and there’s a good chance the two teams meet again in Vegas.

Ironically most of the fans I saw on twitter talking trash about the ducks losing were Colorado fans, the fanbase is quite the special group after Prime showed up.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't know if we're in some weird bond because of the move to the Big Ten, or due to the early kick time, but this was by far the most friendly I've ever experienced the husky friends. Had a great experience with the folks around us in the 300-level. Lots of friendly chiding of each other throughout the game, but nothing that ever went beyond fun and games.
I think a lot of has to do with them actually being competitve this year and for the last 7 overall in the series.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

True^

I will say even my beaver buddy has been tame and thinks Oregon and Washington are better than them this season. Probably has to do with this is their best team in over a decade.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13