Coaches

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Coaches

Post by Quietduck »

How many here honestly would have taken Lincoln over Lanning two years ago?? I shudder to imagine what Lanning could be doing with USC. Here he is already building a possible perennial powerhouse what could he have done with USC's rep. and access to recruits and stars?

Boy, am I glad he is our coach as I wouldn't want to face the team he could have built at USC and now they aren't going to want to face the team he is building at Oregon.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Re: Coaches

Post by 5$ »

Nahh I was enamored with Dan immediately.

If Southern Cal had lost to OG Cal, as bad as they are, coulda been enough to spur $C to axe Lincoln immediately imo.

Hope LA isn't turn out to secretly be Dan's dream city or some bullish like that...
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Oregon is looking more and more like a place where any coach can succeed. The presence of Nike and Phil Knight make it is easier to win. The AD (and school leadership, unlike the rest of the Pac-12) is very invested in the football program.

Lanning had a solid first year. This year isn't over yet. I think a lot of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves and have already mentally penciled the Ducks into the playoffs.

It wouldn't exactly shock me if another school poached Lanning and he underperformed there.

By all accounts, Oregon is in the top tier of in NIL spending (along with Georgia, Alabama, etc). This team is loaded with talent. NIL works to Oregon's advantage and this is probably the most talented team the Ducks have ever had. Crediting that to Lanning and the coaches.. This is new era. It's difficult to say well other coaches would have done in this situation. Look at how Dabo has been failing at Clemson. Recruiting has changed.

Stein has a bunch of predictable plays that other teams have really started keying in on (swing pass to the RB).

I don't like the Tosh hire, it doesn't make sense to pay a recruiter in the NIL era.

Lanning's grade is still incomplete.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

wepto wrote:Oregon is looking more and more like a place where any coach can succeed. The presence of Nike and Phil Knight make it is easier to win. The AD (and school leadership, unlike the rest of the Pac-12) is very invested in the football program.

Lanning had a solid first year. This year isn't over yet. I think a lot of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves and have already mentally penciled the Ducks into the playoffs.

It wouldn't exactly shock me if another school poached Lanning and he underperformed there.

By all accounts, Oregon is in the top tier of in NIL spending (along with Georgia, Alabama, etc). This team is loaded with talent. NIL works to Oregon's advantage and this is probably the most talented team the Ducks have ever had. Crediting that to Lanning and the coaches.. This is new era. It's difficult to say well other coaches would have done in this situation. Look at how Dabo has been failing at Clemson. Recruiting has changed.

Stein has a bunch of predictable plays that other teams have really started keying in on (swing pass to the RB).

I don't like the Tosh hire, it doesn't make sense to pay a recruiter in the NIL era.

Makes plenty of sense to hire a recruiter. While money helps, it's not everything, and you still have to impress them and their parents. Not only that, but the defense has had an amazing turn around. You can recruit top tier guys, but you still have to coach them to perform on the field
Last edited by squintsdd on Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I went to Miami University (the Ohio one) for undergrad and have watched coach after coach get poached or fired. There hadn’t been an in-between until their current HC (Chuck Martin). He was a semi-successful OC at ND before coming over. For the first several years, he was the master of mediocrity , 6-6 seasons every year. Not bad enough to get fired from a MAC school, not good enough to draw the eyes of a bigger program. All that said, it’s been fun watching him grow into a HC. This year, Miami is 7-2 and winning with a backup QB. I think it’s easy as a fan to think coaches either have “it” or they don’t. Martin has been a really good reminder of how, like any job, it takes time to learn the role and even more time to master it. Through that lens, it’s incredible what Lanning is doing after just 1.5 years as a HC. If UO can keep him and keep taking care of him, there’s not really a ceiling for this guy.

I think it’s also a testament to how well UO takes care of our coaches. I’d love to know what sorts of behind-the-scenes training and support UO is offering him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

wepto wrote:Oregon is looking more and more like a place where any coach can succeed. The presence of Nike and Phil Knight make it is easier to win. The AD (and school leadership, unlike the rest of the Pac-12) is very invested in the football program.

If Oregon is looking like a place where anyone can succeed how do you explain Mark Helfrich?

What makes you think another school will poach Lanning? what makes you think he wants to
leave?

While Taggart and Cristobal could recruit they could not coach.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Head's up, I think I still take USC as having a higher ceiling, but when you look at recent success under various coaches, I'm not entirely sure it's easier to have success at USC over Oregon. Taggart was outright terrible, and still had some success at Oregon. Helf was bad, and he went to a national championship. Cristobal is mediocre and won a Rose Bowl.

I still like USC's access to local talent, which Oregon can't contend with. That's why I say I like their ceiling. But it's very comparable to Oklahoma/Texas. Something about OU's environment has led to success by a myriad of coaches and more wins than Texas in the last ten years.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

whosyourwally wrote:I went to Miami University (the Ohio one) for undergrad
Is Miami as fratty as my Ohio friends/Xavier grads say it is?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

When Lincoln was hired there was still a decent amount of the season left so it really wasn't an and/or type situation. If you search "usc lincoln riley" in the title search it will bring up the original thread at the time and other than not having given up on Mario to that point, I think I was pretty spot on in that SC hiring Riley should have no effect on our ability to maintain our status because if we can't beat him, then Mario wasn't the guy for us anyways.

Where I think I've been most wrong is his ability to put LA on lock-down with recruits. He essentially doesn't give a damn about his local pipeline and I've seen grumblings about it online because of its two-fold nature in keeping your guys and preventing them from going to your biggest competition. OTOH while we may recruit nationally as well, there does still appear to be a focus on locking down the best players this side of the Rockies because its where our biggest footprint is.

The other thing about when Dan was hired was the Twitter Spaces introduction. It was such a fun experience that as I recall, everyone simply fell in love with the possibility of a Defensive minded guy who already understood the finer points of our football structure (being that its all followed from Saban).
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

StevensTechU wrote:
whosyourwally wrote:I went to Miami University (the Ohio one) for undergrad
Is Miami as fratty as my Ohio friends/Xavier grads say it is?
LOL. Yes. I loved my time there, but it’s chock full of Chicago bros from money. Xavier’s the same with a sprinkle of upstanding Catholicism.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

When I heard the Duck were hiring a defensive guy , the first thing that came to mind, and got me sort of fired up, is a certain former Duck coach who many thought would never be an offensive minded leader... RICH BROOKS!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

This is certainly a unique take
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

It does seem like they are figuring Stein out. After their pitiful performance this weekend, they dropped to 2nd in the NCAA in total offense and 3rd in scoring. Hopefully he can make the adjustments to get them back in the top spot. Otherwise, it might be time to move on.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Droop 10 The King of sarcasm! :lol:
UofDuck
Senior

Coaches

Post by UofDuck »

TheDrake wrote:Droop 10 The King of sarcasm! :lol:
“Serious question, is Will Stein a good OC?”