Coaches

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Re: Coaches

Post by huckthefuskies »

I am not sure to be honest. I guess out of comparison I should go rewatch an entire season of Cristobals led offenses to compare. I think it will give me an optimistic feel. Although Bucky refusing to be tackled might have actually made Mario’s offense keep me from falling asleep on the couch.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Coaches

Post by Phalanx »

lmduck wrote:
wepto wrote:Oregon is looking more and more like a place where any coach can succeed. The presence of Nike and Phil Knight make it is easier to win. The AD (and school leadership, unlike the rest of the Pac-12) is very invested in the football program...

...By all accounts, Oregon is in the top tier of in NIL spending (along with Georgia, Alabama, etc). This team is loaded with talent. NIL works to Oregon's advantage and this is probably the most talented team the Ducks have ever had. Crediting that to Lanning and the coaches.. This is new era. It's difficult to say well other coaches would have done in this situation. Look at how Dabo has been failing at Clemson. Recruiting has changed.
If Oregon is looking like a place where anyone can succeed how do you explain Mark Helfrich?
Helfrich was 37-16 at Oregon with a Rose Bowl win that is still the biggest victory in Oregon history. I think he is still the only Pac 12 coach ever to win a playoff game. Do I have that right?

Anyway, it's funny to read a post about how recruiting has changed due to NIL and then have someone respond with a pre-NIL coach. Oregon had a totally different attitude about recruiting and paying coaches under Helfrich. They have since opened up the pocketbook, and we are seeing the results. I'm sure Helfrich watches and wishes he could have had the ability to hire recruiters like Tosh and whoever he wanted for assistants instead of getting stuck with Pellum and a bunch of aging or bargain-basement guys (or both in Hoke's case).