Heisman Race

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Heisman Race

Post by StevensTechU »

It's beginning to feel like Oregon has a legitimate shot to repeat 2014, with both a playoff birth and a Heisman winner.

Brock Bowers seemed like he might actually shake up the quarterback dominance, but is out for several weeks, and Georgia looked better in their first game without him. Marvin Harrison Jr is a big name despite ranking on the fringe of the top 5 in most statistical categories for a wide receiver, but has momentum as the best player on the #1 ranked team.

After that, it seems like a "take your pick." Penix, Jayden Daniels (LSU), Jordan Travis (FSU), JJ McCarthy (UM), and Bo Nix. (Notably absent: Caleb Williams)

If Oregon wins out, they could do a two-fer. Crazy.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Heisman Race

Post by Phalanx »

An interesting choice this year. Do you pick the flashy guys like Williams or Penix, or do you go with the ultra-efficient but more modest Nix? Williams won last year and then promptly lost a bowl game to Tulane. Wonder if that weighs on the minds of the voters? I suspect they will be looking very hard at non-QB's like Harrison if they can't find someone more eye-catching than Bo.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Good six-minute tape breakdown of Bo Nix by Joel Klatt. https://youtu.be/tskp679bnvw?si=GTTDlUgrB6T2q1Hm
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Another flashy day for Penix and Williams. Meanwhile, Bo quietly put up better numbers than both of them and increased his lead over both in efficiency rating. If the Heisman race comes down to numbers, I don't think Bo will win. Oregon's defense regularly ensures that he is either handing the ball off or off the field completely by the 4th quarter. But in terms of efficiency and lack of mistakes, it's Bo by an increasingly-comfortable margin.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Phalanx wrote:Another flashy day for Penix and Williams. Meanwhile, Bo quietly put up better numbers than both of them and increased his lead over both in efficiency rating. If the Heisman race comes down to numbers, I don't think Bo will win. Oregon's defense regularly ensures that he is either handing the ball off or off the field completely by the 4th quarter. But in terms of efficiency and lack of mistakes, it's Bo by an increasingly-comfortable margin.
Bo had some of his flashiest plays of the season yesterday. That duck under the pressure before completing a tough pass down field and the fade to the corner of the end zone both had me yelling wowwww. He also seemed to MAKE a lot more plays yesterday than he usually has to. I’ve been skeptical of his NFL prospects to this point, but some of his throws yesterday had me rethinking all of that.

He’s become such a good leader on the field. So glad we have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:Another flashy day for Penix and Williams. Meanwhile, Bo quietly put up better numbers than both of them and increased his lead over both in efficiency rating. If the Heisman race comes down to numbers, I don't think Bo will win. Oregon's defense regularly ensures that he is either handing the ball off or off the field completely by the 4th quarter. But in terms of efficiency and lack of mistakes, it's Bo by an increasingly-comfortable margin.

Williams played so bad in the second half, especially in the 4th quarter. I wouldn’t label his day flashy at all. He missed a lot of easy throws. He’s for sure out if the heisman. Penix won, but it was against a horrible D, and really it was because of the RB.

The heisman is right there for Bo to take. He just has to keep doing his thing, and we have to win out.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sorry forgot how to make the twitter link show up, when posting from my phone.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Now the odds-on favorite:
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Bo deserves the Heisman. That guy is special. I think a team like the Dallas Cowboys should take him if he's there late in the 1st round of the draft.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Jayden Daniels will have the best numbers, but has had exactly zero "big moments" (no upset victories or major wins) and is still honestly just a poor man's Caleb Williams.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Tray Dub wrote:Now the odds-on favorite:
I'll feel very happy if Bo wins the Heisman, btw, I'm sure that the potential Oregon vs. Washington CCG won't only decide who goes to the playoffs, but also it will decide the Heisman winner.
DuckBomb2
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckBomb2 »

I think he wins it. He's been playing college ball for so long that it's almost a lifetime achievement award. Plus his SEC background will help him get some of the Southern vote.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckBomb2 wrote:I think he wins it. He's been playing college ball for so long that it's almost a lifetime achievement award. Plus his SEC background will help him get some of the Southern vote.
Penix and Daniels have played just as many years.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

DuckBomb2 wrote:I think he wins it. He's been playing college ball for so long that it's almost a lifetime achievement award. Plus his SEC background will help him get some of the Southern vote.
Probably just the opposite. They'll treat him like a traitor for going to that inferior league out on the west coast with all those "beatniks" eSECpn is predicatably touting Daniels, Penix, Harrison Jr. and anybody else they can think of for the Heisman. Bo is listed as an afterthought. Fake News is just as much in sports as anywhere else. Push that narrative. Daniels will probably win it. SEC boy and all. :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It does seem like the P12 CG could really decide the Heisman race and I think that Bo needs that "Heisman moment" to really capture enough of the voters.

Just take it game by game for the team and all of their goals are right there to be achieved.