That’s whats I appreciates abouts Coach Lanning

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

That’s whats I appreciates abouts Coach Lanning

Post by bdkipe »

(Bonus points if you get the reference in the topic subject line)

We’re starting to see more of Dan’s personality thanks to the amazing “Ducks vs Them” Cinematic Recap thst the media team puts out after victories. Which, if you haven’t seen these, stop reading and go view them. I hope we are adequately compensating the team that puts that together. Fans, recruits and even other media eat that up and the work that those talented people put into it shines through. I can’t thank those folks enough as a fan.

To my post subject: I’m starting to really “appreciates” Lanning’s Degree in Education, the fact both his parents were teachers and the fact his first job after college was as a teacher. When I see him in those videos talking to the team there are little things he does in body language, verbal cues and phrasing that elicit buy-in and participation from his kids.

I’ve heard him say in several interviews that as a coach it’s not how much you know, but can you take the things you know and present it so your players hear it, absorb it, understand it and then go apply it.

We all love how he says “progrum” but listen to how often he asks “right?” and then pauses to get an affirmation. He asks “right?” at least a couple dozen times in conversations I’ve heard and seen.

He reminds me of a favorite teacher we’ve probably all had who made class an involved group discussion that helped the subject matter sink in.

Just something I’ve been noticing more of as he’s gotten more comfortable letting the media see inside the “progrum”.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: That’s whats I appreciates abouts Coach Lanning

Post by lmduck »

bdkipe wrote:(Bonus points if you get the reference in the topic subject line)

We’re starting to see more of Dan’s personality thanks to the amazing “Ducks vs Them” Cinematic Recap thst the media team puts out after victories. Which, if you haven’t seen these, stop reading and go view them. I hope we are adequately compensating the team that puts that together. Fans, recruits and even other media eat that up and the work that those talented people put into it shines through. I can’t thank those folks enough as a fan.

To my post subject: I’m starting to really “appreciates” Lanning’s Degree in Education, the fact both his parents were teachers and the fact his first job after college was as a teacher. When I see him in those videos talking to the team there are little things he does in body language, verbal cues and phrasing that elicit buy-in and participation from his kids.

I’ve heard him say in several interviews that as a coach it’s not how much you know, but can you take the things you know and present it so your players hear it, absorb it, understand it and then go apply it.

We all love how he says “progrum” but listen to how often he asks “right?” and then pauses to get an affirmation. He asks “right?” at least a couple dozen times in conversations I’ve heard and seen.

He reminds me of a favorite teacher we’ve probably all had who made class an involved group discussion that helped the subject matter sink in.

Just something I’ve been noticing more of as he’s gotten more comfortable letting the media see inside the “progrum”.
Great post and very astute.

Dan has the 'it' factor. I love how he does not have to be the smartest man in the room' like his predecessor.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I started watching Shoresy last night, and just isn't as good. Maybe it'll get better.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Dan has the 'it' factor. I love how he does not have to be the smartest man in the room' like his predecessor.
He's very relatable. I like that he clearly has alpha intangibles but also comes off as thoughtful and even nurturing. That's a tough balance to strike.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
He's very relatable. I like that he clearly has alpha intangibles but also comes off as thoughtful and even nurturing. That's a tough balance to strike.
Great assessment Pez. I have had the opportunity to meet Dan and he is 'real'. He literally owned the room at the event and not in a showy, 'look at me' way. He is genuine.

His predecessor preached 'family' yet if you talk to some of the guys who played for him (I have had that opportunity as well) and they said there was no family atmosphere at all. Case in point and this may seem minor, prior to the season Dan had the team to his home many times for meals and other activities. He has said he wants the players to think of if as a place they can come to anytime and he honestly means it. We know the stories of Nix babysitting but Dan exudes confidence and at the same time humility.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

lmduck wrote:

Great post and very astute.

Mario may have thought he was the smartest man in the room but he always came across as a big dumb rhoid lineman to me.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
I started watching Shoresy last night, and just isn't as good. Maybe it'll get better.
Huh?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Interesting note about Lanning always saying “right?”, I always thought it was like a nervous tic or like a habit or something, I failed to notice that he’s seeking confirmation from those he’s speaking too which causes them to probably subconsciously focus more on what Lanning is saying. Thanks for posting this!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Interesting note about Lanning always saying “right?”, I always thought it was like a nervous tic or like a habit or something, I failed to notice that he’s seeking confirmation from those he’s speaking too which causes them to probably subconsciously focus more on what Lanning is saying. Thanks for posting this!
I 100% agree, I have known plenty of people who used the word “right”, meaning not necessarily a question or waiting for a response, it is just a habit he has…… don’t mistake this for anything negative on Lanning, I love everything about him, especially how this years team looks, his recruiting…… everything, including his play call’s against the husky’s.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj11qyaAN_I
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Huh?
Okay, that does not help! lol
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Ok. I've learned something new today.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Alan wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Huh?
Okay, that does not help! lol
To be fairrrrrr.....if you don't watch Letterkenny, you won't get it, bud. Pitter-patter.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Lol thought it might go over the top

https://youtu.be/8BD3udSIv7Q?si=lHWINXgCzRTfy9GH
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

Squirrely Dan