Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Post by ducks5ever »

ACC is weak. Louisville almost lost to the mighty Miami Hurricanes. FSU only has to survive 2 more games and there's a fair chance they can pull it off.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

ducks5ever wrote:ACC is weak. Louisville almost lost to the mighty Miami Hurricanes. FSU only has to survive 2 more games and there's a fair chance they can pull it off.
ACC may appear weak, but they dominated the Southeastern Conference 4-2 this season, with Louisville favorites to beat Kentucky and go 5-2.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

ducks5ever wrote:ACC is weak. Louisville almost lost to the mighty Miami Hurricanes. FSU only has to survive 2 more games and there's a fair chance they can pull it off.
FSU winning out and Alabama beating Georgia is probably the worst thing that could happen!

FSU (even before the injury) was the worst team in the top 4 and is realistically closer to the bottom of the top 10.

2 one loss SEC teams and an undefeated FSU would give the committee enough to leave out a one loss (strongest) conference champion Oregon. Undefeated Washington is on the outside looking in now (that may change today?).

It may not go down like that, but there will certainly be pressure from old school powers that be...
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

StevensTechU wrote:
ACC may appear weak, but they dominated the Southeastern Conference 4-2 this season, with Louisville favorites to beat Kentucky and go 5-2.
More evidence that the SEC is having an off year and the metric should not support 2 SEC teams in the playoff.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Even if fsu wins out I think a poor showing against Florida and Louisville could be enough for the powers that be to bump them down below Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Even if they go undefeated, I wonder if they get dinged for not having Jordan Travis now.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I should correct myself. The ACC is 4-2 against the Southeastern Conference, and has 4 games to go, not 1 like I said.

Louisville is favored over Kentucky (would be 5-2).
Clemson is favored over South Carolina (would be 6-2)
Florida State is favored over Florida (would be 7-2)
and Georgia is favored over GaTech (would be 7-3)

7-3 is utter domination and frankly says that the Southeastern Conference shouldn't sniff two playoff births.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:They lost Travis Jordan and Travis Hunter on top of losing Jordan Travis? No way they win out.
Oops! My bad.

Corrected. :-)
John 3:36
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

greenyellow wrote:Even if they go undefeated, I wonder if they get dinged for not having Jordan Travis now.
This what I'm thinking. Fsu is easily the worst of the undefeated. I actually think they could lose their last 2 games, even if they had Travis. My main concern would be Washington being upset by WSU. That would pretty much eliminate Oregon from playoff contention as well.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

That would pretty much eliminate Oregon from playoff contention as well.
I really doubt it. We're ranked where we are not entirely because of Washington's strength, but because we're one of the most dominant teams in football this season and we're a missed FG away (on the road) from perfection. If strength of schedule was that big of a factor then we wouldn't be ranked as highly as we are. (We'd definitely be flipped with Texas.)

The job of the committee is to put the best four teams in the playoffs. Oregon is clearly one of those teams. I'd argue that most pundits have more faith in Oregon winning a national championship than UW. That wouldn't change if UW were to drop its rivalry game in the last week of the season.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:
I really doubt it. We're ranked where we are not entirely because of Washington's strength, but because we're one of the most dominant teams in football this season and we're a missed FG away (on the road) from perfection. If strength of schedule was that big of a factor then we wouldn't be ranked as highly as we are. (We'd definitely be flipped with Texas.)

The job of the committee is to put the best four teams in the playoffs. Oregon is clearly one of those teams. I'd argue that most pundits have more faith in Oregon winning a national championship than UW. That wouldn't change if UW were to drop its rivalry game in the last week of the season.
Oregon's strength of schedule has taken a big hit the past few weeks. If Washington were to lose next week, beating them in the championship game won't be as impactful, especially since they've been struggling to win games as of late. It could be argued Louisville beating an undefeated fsu could be seen as more impactful in that scenario.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

squintsdd wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Oregon's strength of schedule has taken a big hit the past few weeks. If Washington were to lose next week, beating them in the championship game won't be as impactful, especially since they've been struggling to win games as of late. It could be argued Louisville beating an undefeated fsu could be seen as more impactful in that scenario.
There's no way Louisville jumps us by beating an injured Florida State. They lost to 3-8 Pittsburgh. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I also don't think Texas would jump us by beating their conference championship game opponent, whether that's Oklahoma, OK State, or KSU. A one-loss Washington team is still a much better win, and we'd be starting from the higher poll position. If we're ahead of them this Tuesday, we'll stay ahead of them as long as we win.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

squintsdd wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

I sorta understand the pessimism from some Oregon fans thinking Texas/Alabama jumping the Ducks into the playoffs, but UL? Come on. You know they lost to Pitt, right? They aren’t getting a huge bump for beating FSU without its starting QB.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

webfoots2001 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

I sorta understand the pessimism from some Oregon fans thinking Texas/Alabama jumping the Ducks into the playoffs, but UL? Come on. You know they lost to Pitt, right? They aren’t getting a huge bump for beating FSU without its starting QB.
Do I think it will happen? Likely not. Do I think it could happen? Sure. If Washington were to lose to WSU they'd fall behind Alabama, so that would put them around 8. Oregon beating a struggling one loss Washington team would be far less impactful to some people than Louisville beating an undefeated fsu team, even if fsu is without their starting quarterback. Again, I don't think that would happen, but it's something to consider and keep an eye on. Louisville has a bad loss, but they've also quietly crept up in the polls, and have some decent wins behind them.

That said, it's also entirely possible that Oregon could jump an unbeaten fsu team even if they were to beat a one loss Washington team.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

StevensTechU wrote:I should correct myself. The ACC is 4-2 against the Southeastern Conference, and has 4 games to go, not 1 like I said.

Louisville is favored over Kentucky (would be 5-2).
Clemson is favored over South Carolina (would be 6-2)
Florida State is favored over Florida (would be 7-2)
and Georgia is favored over GaTech (would be 7-3)

7-3 is utter domination and frankly says that the Southeastern Conference shouldn't sniff two playoff births.
We'll see this weekend. It's been a fairly boring season this year thus far. I'm not sure if it has always been like this but each conference has 1 or 2 teams at the top, ~2 interlopers below the top 2 teams, and then everyone else. That hierarchy has been rigidly followed so there have also been very few upsets in the top 10-15 this year. Only 2 I can think of are Texas vs Alabama and whoever toppled Oklahoma and gave them their first loss. Maybe toss in the Utah game too but anyone who follows them knew this was coming looking at all their personnel losses.

My problem with the ACC is that I don't think the teams at the top of the ACC are that great. For that matter, Texas doesn't win convincingly either. If Alabama beat them at the start of the year, the Big 12 would be out of the playoff discussion.