Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Post by greenyellow »

No real movement in the newest CFP Poll as the Top 6 all remained the same.
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Post by Greenblood »

So the state of Oregon has both the top 1-loss and top 2-loss teams, respectively, in the CFP rankings right now.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

To early. Still in the back of my mind Lanning is 0-3 in rivalry games, so lets see.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

From a schedule standpoint there's no justification for Michigan and Florida State over Washington.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Greenblood wrote:So the state of Oregon has both the top 1-loss and top 2-loss teams, respectively, in the CFP rankings right now.
Not quite. Penn State has 2 losses now (tOSU and Michigan).
OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

Greenblood wrote:So the state of Oregon has both the top 1-loss and top 2-loss teams, respectively, in the CFP rankings right now.
I agree. All are undefeated but UW has a better win.

Oregon is fortunate that Texas didn't look better this weekend; otherwise, the CFP committee might have bumped them over the Ducks.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

OregonDucks wrote:

Oregon is fortunate that Texas didn't look better this weekend; otherwise, the CFP committee might have bumped them over the Ducks.
They play tech to finish off the season. A common opponent might make the difference for some of the decision makers.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
Not quite. Penn State has 2 losses now (tOSU and Michigan).
Of course I wrote that last week before Penn State had that second loss, so it was accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if OSU remains the top 2-loss team when the next CFP poll comes out, but we'll see.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Still number 6 in the CFP poll with Texas behind us.

I was kind of amazed that Washington didn't leap-frog FSU. I read that committee members believe FSU simply looks more dominant lately while UW has appeared more vulnerable, and that's why they haven't moved up UW despite its superior strength of schedule (wins over three ranked teams vs one for FSU).

There's been lots of "talk" lately about how Alabama and Texas should possibly be ranked above Oregon, but the committee's logic re: FSU and UW makes me feel that Oregon really does control its own destiny. The eye test seems incredibly important to this current committee, and Oregon has passed it weak after weak while Texas has struggled. We only really need big style points in one more win -- this Saturday at ASU -- before two huge showdowns that we'll only need to win.

Huge game Saturday. Every game is huge right now.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:Still number 6 in the CFP poll with Texas behind us.

I was kind of amazed that Washington didn't leap-frog FSU. I read that committee members believe FSU simply looks more dominant lately while UW has appeared more vulnerable, and that's why they haven't moved up UW despite its superior strength of schedule (wins over three ranked teams vs one for FSU).

There's been lots of "talk" lately about how Alabama and Texas should possibly be ranked above Oregon, but the committee's logic re: FSU and UW makes me feel that Oregon really does control its own destiny. The eye test seems incredibly important to this current committee, and Oregon has passed it weak after weak while Texas has struggled. We only really need big style points in one more win -- this Saturday at ASU -- before two huge showdowns that we'll only need to win.

Huge game Saturday. Every game is huge right now.
With the CFP I've heard its less about the "eyes" per se and more about how the metrics, SP, etc all rank Oregon as Top 5 at everything more or less and only Michigan is like that. Thus we're at 5 because had we beaten UW, we might be #1 in their eyes.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> With the CFP I've heard its less about the "eyes" per se and more about how the metrics, SP, etc all rank Oregon as Top 5 at everything more or less and only Michigan is like that. Thus we're at 5 because had we beaten UW, we might be #1 in their eyes.

I'm hoping that conference championships matter a lot, because a one-loss Michigan or one-loss Georgia could be in the mix. It seems only fair; it is like a true playoff started a week or two early.

As I have said all along, Oregon needs to continue hammering opponents, or they might need a Texas/Alabama/FSU loss; winning out may not be enough.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

73duck wrote:> With the CFP I've heard its less about the "eyes" per se and more about how the metrics, SP, etc all rank Oregon as Top 5 at everything more or less and only Michigan is like that. Thus we're at 5 because had we beaten UW, we might be #1 in their eyes.

I'm hoping that conference championships matter a lot, because a one-loss Michigan or one-loss Georgia could be in the mix. It seems only fair; it is like a true playoff started a week or two early.

As I have said all along, Oregon needs to continue hammering opponents, or they might need a Texas/Alabama/FSU loss; winning out may not be enough.
While I've long felt 12-1 Oregon is enough to get in, I do find myself concerned with them ranking UW at 5 as if it sets up a "magical" scenario wherein we beat the poodles in the CG and only jump up to 5th. UW has more Top 25 wins than anyone ranked ahead of them and they are 5th in the CFP eye's and I think that's an egregious error. Rewarding UM and FSU for essentially playing nobody at this point in this season sure says a lot even if things can still change.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Despite the Southeastern Conference getting whooped in the early season and Pac-12 dominating, it seems that the longer the season goes, to more pundits and CFP folks forget all about the actual evidence of conference strength. That doesn't bode well considering the Pac-12 gets the s***-end of the stick when folks gravitate toward reputation.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

squintsdd wrote:
OregonDucks wrote:

They play tech to finish off the season. A common opponent might make the difference for some of the decision makers.
I think Tyler Shough is back now for TT. He was out several games with an injury, so they're better than their 5-5 record indicates.

Also, Texas just lost their #1 RB for the season. That may end up hurting them. The guy behind him is good, but the guy they lost (Brooks) was more of a breakaway threat.

I'll be keeping an eye on that game for sure.
John 3:36
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

SuperDuck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
OregonDucks wrote:

I think Tyler Shough is back now for TT. He was out several games with an injury, so they're better than their 5-5 record indicates.

Also, Texas just lost their #1 RB for the season. That may end up hurting them. The guy behind him is good, but the guy they lost (Brooks) was more of a breakaway threat.

I'll be keeping an eye on that game for sure.
I could be wrong, but pretty sure Shough is out for the regular season. A quick search on Google didn't spawn any articles that he has gotten back ahead of schedule. He definitely hasn't played any games since 9/23. It's ridiculous that FSU is being propped up by teams they played that were thought to be good, and have clearly turned out to be fraudulent. Michigan hasn't played anyone. Penn St. is frustrating in that they are good enough to beat all the scrubs in the B1G, but they are not actually a top 15 team, but get the ranking by beating up on lesser teams. However, they always prop up Ohio St. and Michigan's SOS, despite never being competitive against top teams. It is ludicrous that UW is ranked 5th, when the PAC is clearly the deepest conference in the NCAA.