Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Post by pezsez1 »

So is having FSU @ #4 since the first ranking the committees way of showing some faux love to the ACC? Just theater?
No, it's the result of FSU vaulting ahead early after pounding LSU and then staying there because they haven't lost.

Texas would be ahead of Oregon (and probably UW) right now after beating Alabama but then they lost to a team that now has two losses -- and haven't really looked impressive since.

The top six teams established themselves early and nobody has really slipped -- but four of them play each other, so things will sort themselves out.

Again, folks are overthinking this. Win, and Oregon is in. The committee clearly likes the Ducks and we finish stronger than pretty much everyone else.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Did not see a surging Arizona team giving Utah the business. That definitely hurts us unless the Utes pull off a huge comeback, as our win at Utah is clearly our best win of the season.

Oregon needs to win BIG today.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

pezsez1 wrote:Did not see a surging Arizona team giving Utah the business. That definitely hurts us unless the Utes pull off a huge comeback, as our win at Utah is clearly our best win of the season.

Oregon needs to win BIG today.
yeah.... we're going to have 0 ranked wins at this rate.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Classic Pac-12 though. Utah is going to fall out because of losing to teams in the top 15. We really do just eat each other.

I'm really excited to play Oregon State. I think OSU wins today and I think we beat them comfortably at Autzen. Will be nice polishing off two top-10 teams to silence any doubters at the end of the year.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Florida State is down 13-0 to North Alabama and Jordan Travis just got rolled up on pretty bad, his left leg looked like it twisted. Hate to see that obviously, but a loss there (or to Florida or Louisville) would make the win-and-in a sure thing for us.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Yeah that injury is most definitely severe, carted him off straight into an ambulance with a big cast/sleeve on. Really sucks.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Meanwhile at halftime Texas is leading unranked Iowa State 6-3.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

pezsez1 wrote:
Classic Pac-12 though. Utah is going to fall out because of losing to teams in the top 15. We really do just eat each other.

I'm really excited to play Oregon State. I think OSU wins today and I think we beat them comfortably at Autzen. Will be nice polishing off two top-10 teams to silence any doubters at the end of the year.
Speaking of which, if (big if) we beat OSU, will they even be ranked with an 8-4 record? We face the possibility where we face 0 ranked opponents in the regular season. I laugh at FSU for having a weak schedule but ours is arguably worse.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think Oregon State will drop more than a few spots after barely losing to a top 5 team. I think we only dropped a few spots when we lost to UW.

More importantly, Texas has done absolutely nothing to show it deserves to be ranked ahead of us. I mean that team just continues to struggle even while winning. Oregon has continued to play like one of the three most dominant teams in the country and we'll be in the playoff if we beat UW in the CCG.

Also, while injuries suck, I'd be shocked to see FSU run the table with its starting QB out. I saw the replay and there's no way he'll be back.

Michigan, Georgia, Oregon, Texas is how I'd bet on the final rankings.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> Again, folks are overthinking this. Win, and Oregon is in.

next post

> Oregon needs to win BIG today.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It will be interesting to see where the new rankings come out and how much FSU is punished for Travis Jordan's injury.

I already saw numerous talking heads (finally) put the poodles in the Top 4 on the basis that they have more Top 25 wins (4) than anyone else. Well, going into yesterday's game they already led the nation in Top 25 wins with 3 so what gives? Just an injury to Travis Jordan because if those Top 25 wins actually mattered in their eyes, they'd already be Top 4.

I think the only legitimate ranking of the Top 4 has to be
1-Georgia (3 top 25 wins, 28 game win streak, undefeated defending champs)
2-UW (4 top 25 wins, 17 game win streak, undefeated)
3-OSU (2 top 25 wins, decent OOC schedule, undefeated)
4-FSU (1 top 25 wins, decent OOC schedule, undefeated)

That leaves undefeated UM with an absolute dog-s*** OOC that the CFP "should" have marked them down for, but they haven't in any meaningful way. Sure, UM is ranked #1 in SP, but they've only played 1 team worth a darn in Penn State other than Mtn West UNLV and they've been struggling to maintain those SP rankings them moment they've started to play good teams in league the last few weeks. The only way UM "should" move into the Top 4 is if they remain undefeated by seasons end but to date, they've shown nothing to put them in the Top 4. A 27 point win at home against 2-9 East Carolina is pretty sad and pathetic.

Oregon's top win is demolishing Utah while essentially boat-racing every team that isn't undefeated UW. We've had two 1-score games and Texas Tech is back at 6-5 and the fact that they were 50-2 in OOC games at home prior to playing us should at least been viewed as a good OOC game between PAC/B12.

Texas could have an argument when it comes to us right now since their win over Bama is better than ours vs Utah but that's about it when measuring the two as our loss certainly looks better than their loss. They might have the better win as of today, but we look so much better on tape.

I can't help but feel that the fix is in when it comes to the PAC and the CFP and that we do in fact need help beyond just beating OSU and UW the next 2 weeks. We could really use an Iowa upset in the B1G, a Tech win over Texas, UGA staying undefeated and FSU dropping a game.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

Duck07 wrote:It will be interesting to see where the new rankings come out and how much FSU is punished for Travis Jordan's injury.

I already saw numerous talking heads (finally) put the poodles in the Top 4 on the basis that they have more Top 25 wins (4) than anyone else. Well, going into yesterday's game they already led the nation in Top 25 wins with 3 so what gives? Just an injury to Travis Jordan because if those Top 25 wins actually mattered in their eyes, they'd already be Top 4.

That leaves undefeated UM with an absolute dog-s*** OOC that the CFP "should" have marked them down for, but they haven't in any meaningful way. Sure, UM is ranked #1 in SP, but they've only played 1 team worth a darn in Penn State other than Mtn West UNLV and they've been struggling to maintain those SP rankings them moment they've started to play good teams in league the last few weeks. The only way UM "should" move into the Top 4 is if they remain undefeated by seasons end but to date, they've shown nothing to put them in the Top 4. A 27 point win at home against 2-9 East Carolina is pretty sad and pathetic.

Oregon's top win is demolishing Utah while essentially boat-racing every team that isn't undefeated UW. We've had two 1-score games and Texas Tech is back at 6-5 and the fact that they were 50-2 in OOC games at home prior to playing us should at least been viewed as a good OOC game between PAC/B12.

Texas could have an argument when it comes to us right now since their win over Bama is better than ours vs Utah but that's about it when measuring the two as our loss certainly looks better than their loss. They might have the better win as of today, but we look so much better on tape.

I can't help but feel that the fix is in when it comes to the PAC and the CFP and that we do in fact need help beyond just beating OSU and UW the next 2 weeks. We could really use an Iowa upset in the B1G, a Tech win over Texas, UGA staying undefeated and FSU dropping a game.
I agree that a fix is at the very least possible. One last FU to the PAC on the way out the door. Who would still be complaining about it next year?

The talking heads, including game day were going through scenarios and when it comes down to one loss teams vying for playoff spots, the SEC & BIG 10 bias starts rearing it's ugly head.

There sure seems to be a strong desire to squeeze Texas and Alabama in even if the metrics don't add up...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckpoint wrote:
I agree that a fix is at the very least possible. One last FU to the PAC on the way out the door. Who would still be complaining about it next year?

The talking heads, including game day were going through scenarios and when it comes down to one loss teams vying for playoff spots, the SEC & BIG 10 bias starts rearing it's ugly head.

There sure seems to be a strong desire to squeeze Texas and Alabama in even if the metrics don't add up...
What's funny is that OSU and WSU need a PAC team to make the CFP because it would (as of now) give them more future $ down the road. IF OSU/WSU upset this weekend it would hurt them potentially to the tune of 10's of Millions of dollars which they desperately need going forward.

The CFP might "fix" the Top 4 as to also swing those revenues to the Power 4 conferences.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:It will be interesting to see where the new rankings come out and how much FSU is punished for Travis Jordan's injury.

I don't see FSU as being unbeatable now with Jordan Travis out. I think they can still beat Florida, but Louisville will be a challenge with a backup QB. That's a "wait and see" scenario.

I don't see Texas having an opportunity ahead of them due to the quality of opponent they'll meet in the Big-12 Championship. There are several scenarios that include Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Kansas State. I think their best bet would be a rematch with Oklahoma. That would be a chance to avenge their only loss. However, if Alabama beats Georgia, that would add a huge boost to their resume.

I think Georgia is in as long as they beat Georgia Tech. I don't see a loss vs Alabama keeping them out. However, if Alabama does beat them, I think there's a good chance that they would jump the Ducks whether Oregon beats UW and OSU or not. I hate it, but they have a legit SOS and a win over Georgia may make them a lock to the committee. They may not jump Texas, though.

The winner of Ohio State vs Michigan is almost guaranteed a spot unless it's Michigan and FSU and UW both win out. That would definitely cause chaos.

The ESPN predictor computer has Oregon with a 53% chance of getting in, which it higher that UW at 37%. Evidently, their computer thinks the Ducks will beat UW.

The Ducks need to beat the Beavers first and then let the chips fall where they may. (Fingers crossed)
Last edited by SuperDuck on Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

They lost Travis Jordan and Travis Hunter on top of losing Jordan Travis? No way they win out.