Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Ducks remain #6 in 2nd CFP Poll

Post by QuackininBama »

Oregon 100% controls their own destiny. I actually feel good about a dominant win vs the Bevs..........

The problem as usual is if we let Penix run around the entire game playing backyard football, we could very well lose again. We will see.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I love Oregon on a neutral field vs Washington. I think we got UW's best shot earlier in the season while not playing our best game. Since then, UW has stagnated while the Ducks have improved up and down the roster almost on a weekly basis. Even reserves are starting to shine when given opportunities. I could see this rematch being like our Pac-12 title game against Utah a few years back after Utah had beaten us in the regular season.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

QuackininBama wrote:Oregon 100% controls their own destiny. I actually feel good about a dominant win vs the Bevs..........

The problem as usual is if we let Penix run around the entire game playing backyard football, we could very well lose again. We will see.
I think we will get even more pressure on Penix this time and maybe even knock him out of the game. Almost did in the 4th quarter of the last game.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

nogerO wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Oregon 100% controls their own destiny. I actually feel good about a dominant win vs the Bevs..........

I think we will get even more pressure on Penix this time and maybe even knock him out of the game. Almost did in the 4th quarter of the last game.
Hopefully the defense was holding back against some of the last few opponents because sacks have been hit or miss.
vs ASU: 0 sacks
vs USC: 3 sacks
vs Cal: 1 sack
vs Utah: 2 sacks

Getting 2 sacks against UW might win us an extra possession but we need more than that to really swing the game decisively in our favor. There have been a lot of QB hurries but that won't take the QB out of the game.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Sacks only tell a bit of the story though. Our D has been fantastic at pressuring the QB, tipping the ball at the line, and just disrupting plays. Lot of the time we get QBs running for their lives and they basically throw it away.

Penix is not great when he has dudes in his face, and I think it took the Ducks until the second half of our earlier matchup to figure out how to pressure him consistently. I think we're going to make things exceptionally difficult for him if we get a rematch.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

ducks5ever wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Hopefully the defense was holding back against some of the last few opponents because sacks have been hit or miss.

Getting 2 sacks against UW might win us an extra possession but we need more than that to really swing the game decisively in our favor. There have been a lot of QB hurries but that won't take the QB out of the game.
We got to Penix late in that game and hurt him. He toughed it out and made some great plays (including a throw that could have been picked if E. Williams had turned his head) but I dont think he has been as razor sharp as he was before playing us. His drop in statistical output suggests he might be dealing with a lingering injury.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

spacefrog13x wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:
nogerO wrote:

We got to Penix late in that game and hurt him. He toughed it out and made some great plays (including a throw that could have been picked if E. Williams had turned his head) but I dont think he has been as razor sharp as he was before playing us. His drop in statistical output suggests he might be dealing with a lingering injury.
Possibly a lingering injury, or teams learned that he really struggled under pressure. In the games I've watched he tends to throw to the first target he looks at when under pressure, which often times is Odunze. I think with some pressure, or just showing pressure and then dropping back, they can force multiple interceptions out of him by putting some extra coverage on Odunze
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I also think we are going to need an undefeated UW to be our big win to help our case to getting into the CFB Playoffs.
We also have to look at it with the eyes of CFB world who always doubt west coast football.
Our "best" wins on official schedule were against #19 Colorado, #13 Utah, #16 osu.
Currently Colorado and Utah aren't even in the Top 25 so that goes out. And so the only good win is the a now 8-4 oregon state football team that's been a bottom dweller for an eternity.

1 Georgia 11-0
2 Ohio State 11-0
3 Michigan 11-0
4 Washington 11-0
5 Florida State 11-0
6 Oregon 10-1
7 Texas 10-1
8 Alabama 10-1
9 Missouri 9-2
10 Louisville 10-1
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Yes we lost in Seattle but essentially the only major difference in our schedules is that we played vs Colorado and they played at Arizona as our OOC are pretty much the same.

Taking out the h2h game which they obviously get credit for, we have 7 common opponents in P12 play with the Apple Cup needing to be played, but as of this morning in those 7 games Oregon has scored 297 points (42.4ppg) while allowing 102 points (14.5ppg).

In the 6 common games so far, uw has scored 225 points (37.5ppg) while allowing 162 points (27ppg). They would need to score 72 points today to equal our total points score in those 7 common games and they un-score the 60 point defensive scoring margin.

The same is true of Texas struggling against some pretty inferior opponents. It's cool you beat a backup playing on the road at the end of the year when they had nothing to play for and now you want to use that 1 game as your litmus while ignoring the recent games where you didn't look good. They only beat TCU by 3 points, does that mean they're as good as Colorado, the worst team in the P12?
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Tomorrow is Texas' last chance to pass Oregon/UW. If they don't pass Oregon in the next set of rankings, nothing that happens next weekend will get them there. Oklahoma State's win robbed them of the chance to play Oklahoma in the Big12 title game. The only card they have to play in what should be a contentious debate tomorrow is crushing TT, a common opponent. I'm pretty sure that card gets trumped by UO's dominating win over OSU.

That leaves Ohio State and a one-loss Georgia, but once again Oregon would own the trump card, a conference title in a league that played well OOC.

Of course, Oregon has to beat UW.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

73duck wrote:Tomorrow is Texas' last chance to pass Oregon/UW. If they don't pass Oregon in the next set of rankings, nothing that happens next weekend will get them there. Oklahoma State's win robbed them of the chance to play Oklahoma in the Big12 title game. The only card they have to play in what should be a contentious debate tomorrow is crushing TT, a common opponent. I'm pretty sure that card gets trumped by UO's dominating win over OSU.

That leaves Ohio State and a one-loss Georgia, but once again Oregon would own the trump card, a conference title in a league that played well OOC.

Of course, Oregon has to beat UW.

On loss Georgia? They aren’t losing to the frauds from Alabama
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I really wonder where Ohio State falls to.

Oregon
Texas
Ohio State?
Alabama

We'll see.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Looks like the Pac-12 CCG has a real chance of being a Top 5 matchup, Oregon is now ranked Number 5 in the Coaches Poll.

Anyways, I'm actually terrified of Alabama probably upsetting Georgia, it happened in 2021 right after the Tide had a bad 4OT win over Auburn, the same team they nearly lost to this weekend.

If Bama upsets Georgia, we need to pray for Oklahoma State to beat Texas OR for Louisville to upset Florida State.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If Bama upsets Georgia, we need to pray for Oklahoma State to beat Texas OR for Louisville to upset Florida State.
I'm telling you, this has absolutely zero to do with our path to the playoff. Win and we're in.

If Alabama beats Georgia, then Alabama is in and Georgia is out. Just like if we win, we're in and UW is out.

Three of four spots are effectively locked up at this point by the SEC champ, Big 10 champ, and Pac-12 champ. There is nothing anyone can do at this point to change that, not which each of those upcoming championship games being matchups of such highly ranked teams.

If Alabama wins, that matters far more for teams like Texas and Ohio State. They need to pray for a FSU loss, as well. Those teams are battling for the fourth spot.

Ducks are golden. Just need to beat UW.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

spacefrog13x wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:
nogerO wrote:

He makes lots of throws, that will be easy INT at the next level. Penix is helped a ton by Rome getting away with pushing off all game. UW gets all the big calls, and should have lost to ASU and WSU if not for the refs. It’s bad when even non bias observers like Dez Bryant are calling it out on twitter.