Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Time for our PTSD to be triggered, reports have come out that Jimbo Fisher is getting fired at Texas A&M and so far Lanning has been one of the top rumored targets for A&M, which is probably true. Question is, would Lanning leave if offered?

A&M is in the SEC and has a ton of money. No doubt Lanning could succeed there with their NIL budget. Is that enough to persuade Lanning to ditch Oregon for A&M?

I obviously hope we keep Lanning, but with our recent history you just never know.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Post by chapelhillduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Time for our PTSD to be triggered, reports have come out that Jimbo Fisher is getting fired at Texas A&M and so far Lanning has been one of the top rumored targets for A&M, which is probably true. Question is, would Lanning leave if offered?

A&M is in the SEC and has a ton of money. No doubt Lanning could succeed there with their NIL budget. Is that enough to persuade Lanning to ditch Oregon for A&M?

I obviously hope we keep Lanning, but with our recent history you just never know.
He’s not going anywhere….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

And it begins……
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Nah not even worried, Dan achieved the level he wants and he's a savvy salesperson and understands his ability to sell Nike U. Why go to a job where a completely competent coach just failed? He doesn't want to keep moving his kids around.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Lanning probably gets a well-deserved raise through this but that's about it.

I don't see why Lanning would want to go to Texas A&M. They don't offer anything more than we do (aside from money) but the pressure to perform is significantly higher at Texas A&M than out here. Oh yes, and if the divisions don't change with the addition of Oklahoma/Texas, they'll be playing Alabama/LSU/Ole Miss every year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

. A&M with its fan base, inflated expectations, and 100 high dollar boosters tha all act like Jerry Jones, is a terrible job. If all you want is a big payday, sure, or if you are at a school that is about to be knocked down from a power 5 level ok. But I have a hard time seeing anyone not from Texas, who already has a BIG or SEC job, wanting that job.

The Duke coach was a DC there I believe, and he is a very good coach , he might be talked into it.

I’ll get worried if Bama or UGA opens up.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Get real, the fishing in Texas sucks.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

It's probably gonna be Mike Elko. They are paying Jimbo a $76.8M buyout...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Oregon and Dan Lanning have agreed to a six-year, $45 million contract extension that will keep the second-year coach with the Ducks through the 2028 season. The new deal increases Lanning's salary from $4.7 million to $7 million this season and will increase by $200,000 each year through the duration of the deal

I doubt the young father is looking to relocate his family so soon, only a few months ago “the grass was damn green in Eugene”..

Does anyone know his buyout?
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Mike Norvell (FSU) is in the mix. Can't really imagine anybody but Saban turning down $100 mil, if A&M still feels like going crazy.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Time for our PTSD to be triggered, reports have come out that Jimbo Fisher is getting fired at Texas A&M and so far Lanning has been one of the top rumored targets for A&M, which is probably true. Question is, would Lanning leave if offered?

Not happening. Not even going to lose one ounce of worry over this.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Jimbo Fisher was making $9 mil per year with annual increases. I'm guessing they'd offer at least that much for Lanning.

Is an extra $2 mil per year worth it for him to jump ship? Yes, I'd say so.

But would I expect Oregon to re-negotiate his extension to match that given his elite trajectory and Oregon moving to the Big 10 (with that new influx of cash)? Yes, I would.

I'm not worried about this. If Oregon wants him to stay, we've got the means to make him stay. Now that we're Big 10 bound there are only a few jobs that might be objectively better than where he's at right now and A&M isn't one of them.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

wepto wrote:Mike Norvell (FSU) is in the mix. Can't really imagine anybody but Saban turning down $100 mil, if A&M still feels like going crazy.
I can't imagine Norvell leaving FSU. The ACC is weak for the foreseeable future and he has an easy road to the CFP. He'd go straight into a pressure cooker situation with a VERY tough conference schedule.

Money's great, but stress is a killer.
John 3:36
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

IMO, if we lose a coach to Texas ATM, it would probably be Stein, Hampton, or Tosh. Not Lanning.

I think their HC candidate list is:
1) Mike Elko
2) Jeff Traylor
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't see Lanning leaving since he's spoken about giving his kids stability after they moved around so much early in his career.