Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Re: Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Post by gogreen55 »

Texas A&M should consider hiring Connor Stalions. He did a great job turning around Michigan.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

Lanning has said multiple times he values relationships, he values connection and the stability of his sons is important to him. I think he is genuine and authentic person and for that reason I don’t think he would leave. He knows he is building something special. He’s also not stupid and has seen coaches leave Oregon for “greener” pastures and fail. I’m sure Rob, Phil & Pat will get together and give him a nice raise and assistant pool bump.

If y’all remember, we had to deal with this with Bellotti too. UCLA, USC & tOSU all came after him and he ultimately stayed.

I don’t begrudge Mario for leaving. We crap on him too much for that when we clearly lucked out and got a better coach for our long-term success. Mario left it better than he found it. Mario was born and raised in Miami. His entire life was Miami. As much of a surly a-hole as he could be to the media the man valued family and his mother was dying. If momma and your Alma Mater are both begging you to come home I’m not going to begrudge you that no matter how awkward your exit is.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

bdkipe wrote:Lanning has said multiple times he values relationships, he values connection and the stability of his sons is important to him. I think he is genuine and authentic person and for that reason I don’t think he would leave. He knows he is building something special. He’s also not stupid and has seen coaches leave Oregon for “greener” pastures and fail. I’m sure Rob, Phil & Pat will get together and give him a nice raise and assistant pool bump.

If y’all remember, we had to deal with this with Bellotti too. UCLA, USC & tOSU all came after him and he ultimately stayed.

I don’t begrudge Mario for leaving. We crap on him too much for that when we clearly lucked out and got a better coach for our long-term success. Mario left it better than he found it. Mario was born and raised in Miami. His entire life was Miami. As much of a surly a-hole as he could be to the media the man valued family and his mother was dying. If momma and your Alma Mater are both begging you to come home I’m not going to begrudge you that no matter how awkward your exit is.
I don't begrudge Cristobal for leaving. I begrudge him for his terrible play calling and coaching. Yes, we got someone better, but damn did Mario waste some talent while he was here
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Dennis Dodd of CBS sports says that aTm is a better job than Oregon, but that Lanning might not want to leave so early into his tenure here and in the midst of a playoff hunt. The Aggies might have to wait until December if they want him. Or Lanning might want to wait for the Alabama gig to open up.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... bo-fisher/

I wish someone would post a list of the best jobs in order so I could figure this out better. I would have had Oregon higher if the money was similar, so obviously I am way off, since Dennis Dodd is a senior sportswriter at CBS and I am not.

By the way, at this moment, the thumbnail on Wikipedia for Dan Lanning says Head Coach Texas A & M.
Dennis Dodd??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I've forgot more about football than he ever will know.
It IS a better job though, strictly speaking for a HC who cares about 2 things: Highest maximum pay with no concern for longevity and ease of recruiting.

Oregon is not going to give Dan a 10/year/150 Million extension overnight but TAMU might offer that to their next coach. I however feel pretty strongly that Dan recognizes the long-term plan will still make him an absurd amount of money so I'm not sure that will actually be persuasive enough for TAMU if he is in fact their #1 choice.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Jeff Tedford must smoke a cigar every time a Duck coach (coordinator or head man) goes to be the head coach and fails. Guy is the only one who's pulled it off.

Marcus Arroyo, Andy Avalos, Scott Frost, Chip Kelly, Mario Cristobal, Slick Willie Taggart, Rich Brooks (Rams). Tedford has some secret he keeps to himself.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

squintsdd wrote:
bdkipe wrote:Lanning has said multiple times he values relationships, he values connection and the stability of his sons is important to him. I think he is genuine and authentic person and for that reason I don’t think he would leave. He knows he is building something special. He’s also not stupid and has seen coaches leave Oregon for “greener” pastures and fail. I’m sure Rob, Phil & Pat will get together and give him a nice raise and assistant pool bump.

I don't begrudge Cristobal for leaving. I begrudge him for his terrible play calling and coaching. Yes, we got someone better, but damn did Mario waste some talent while he was here

I begrudge him for getting ram over by a average at best Utah team, because he knew he was leaving and didn’t game plan or make adjustments from game 1 to game 2.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Jeff Tedford must smoke a cigar every time a Duck coach (coordinator or head man) goes to be the head coach and fails. Guy is the only one who's pulled it off.

Marcus Arroyo, Andy Avalos, Scott Frost, Chip Kelly, Mario Cristobal, Slick Willie Taggart, Rich Brooks (Rams). Tedford has some secret he keeps to himself.
In all fairness to the coaches who've left, Avalos had a winning record at Boise State. They just decided it wasn't good enough.

Scott Frost turned UCF into a powerhouse before leaving for Nebraska.

Chip actually had a winning record with Philadelphia before being fired. He's been mediocre, at best, at UCLA.

Taggart sucks. Rich Brooks got off to a 6-0 start at St. Louis before going 0-6 down the stretch.

The jury is still out on Cristobal. I wish him well, but don't see him winning a natty there. Just my opinion.

Tedford has been good at both Fresno State and Cal, so he's definitely the cream of the crop.

Actually, Dirk Koetter was head coach at Boise State and ASU before becoming an OC in the NFL. If I'm not mistaken, both he and Brooks were on the Atlanta Falcons staff the year they won the Super Bowl. I'd have to check that. I know Brooks was the DC but can't remember if Koetter was the OC during or after that.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Avalos had a winning record, but Boise State expects to be higher than middle of the pack in the Mountain West.

UCF was 21-17 in the three seasons before Frost arrived, which included a win in the Fiesta Bowl. They went 19-7 with him. He then went to Nebraska and went 16-31.

Chip didn't meet expectations in Philly, or SF. He's not meeting them at UCLA.

Cristobal might honestly be the most "successful" of the bunch, ex-Tedford. His recruiting chops give him a floor, but I wouldn't say anyone in Miami is stoked about the football team right now.

I didn't think about Koetter. Good call out.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

I get that Uncle Phil has some say within the Oregon program and with the amount he gives Oregon I would want some say also. That being said, at TMAU there are about 5-6 donors who literally have there hands all over that program. From coaching hires, recruiting, day to day operations, even game planning decisions. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tell the coaching staff when and where to s***. What I’m trying to say is if the TAMU football program was a woman they would all be in jail for molestation with how they have there hands on the program.

Why the hell would any coach with any kind of pride in the product they produce walk into something they have zero control over……money money money

I don’t see DL leaving, not to that situation.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Props to Mullens for getting a job done quietly before the season to make Lanning's compensation competitive with the big boys ($7M+ year), long-term, and with a high buyout.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Props to Mullens for getting a job done quietly before the season to make Lanning's compensation competitive with the big boys ($7M+ year), long-term, and with a high buyout.

I know I said it before, 7m is awesome. But with the structure of the contract he will make like 8.1 or so. The contract is set up for him to be paid like a top 10 coach if he wins. It’s not
Like he’s being paid chump change, and the $20mill buyout is a big ask dropping 72 on Jimbo.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Does anyone really think Lanning is leaving for this $hit?

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/28/1706 ... hip-trophy

"Well, folks, Texas A&M’s chancellor, John Sharp, just presented Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher with an “NCAA Division I Football National Championship” trophy. The date is blank, reading simply “20--” for the year:"

wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Does anyone really think Lanning is leaving for this $hit?

"Well, folks, Texas A&M’s chancellor, John Sharp, just presented Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher with an “NCAA Division I Football National Championship” trophy. The date is blank, reading simply “20--” for the year:"

It concerns me greatly that he hasn’t put the idea to rest. Silence is trouble.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

It concerns me greatly that he hasn’t put the idea to rest. Silence is trouble.
To be fair, it's barely been 24 hours and I'm sure he's a busy man. Also, so far, there's no actual smoke, just pundits talking.

That said, would anyone here realistically expect Lanning to immediately issue a statement that he has zero interest in A&M and wants to stay at Oregon? I know his paycheck is already larger than any of us could likely imagine, but let's be real here -- what would you do if you knew you might be wanted for a job that could potentially increase your annual pay by millions of dollars?

These Texas donors are wealthy and nutty. What if they came at Lanning with like a $12 million annual salary? Or $15 million? It wouldn't matter at a certain point how much he loved Eugene, it would almost be malpractice NOT to accept that kind of payday.

Maybe Mullens told him to sit tight and not say anything publically while he and Knight work out a reworked extension. Or maybe one is in the works, and Lanning doesn't want to lose his leverage by taking A&M off the table.

I'd be shocked if Lanning says anything at tonight's presser that's not vague. Even if he wants to stay, the situation requires patience. Sucks for us fans, but we'd all approach it the same way. I know I would.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It could be worse. DeBore basically said he’s only focused on the games, and UW has brought up an extension and he appreciate it but will think about that stuff after the season. Not a real ringing endorsement.