Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Post by nogerO »

Ain’t. Gonna. Happen. Uncle Phil knows the Danimal is his ticket to a national championship in his lifetime.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

If recent coaching exits are any indication, the grass is definitely greener elsewhere, but will be dead or dying within a few years...hoping we have a coach with longterm foresight, but who knows?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Jimbo Fisher was making $9 mil per year with annual increases. I'm guessing they'd offer at least that much for Lanning.

Is an extra $2 mil per year worth it for him to jump ship? Yes, I'd say so.

But would I expect Oregon to re-negotiate his extension to match that given his elite trajectory and Oregon moving to the Big 10 (with that new influx of cash)? Yes, I would.

I'm not worried about this. If Oregon wants him to stay, we've got the means to make him stay. Now that we're Big 10 bound there are only a few jobs that might be objectively better than where he's at right now and A&M isn't one of them.

Pretty sure with incentives, which DL is on pace to hit, he will make $8million. He’s not making chump change at UO, it’s just structured in incentives instead of guarantee.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Jimbo Fisher was making $9 mil per year with annual increases. I'm guessing they'd offer at least that much for Lanning.

Is an extra $2 mil per year worth it for him to jump ship? Yes, I'd say so.

But would I expect Oregon to re-negotiate his extension to match that given his elite trajectory and Oregon moving to the Big 10 (with that new influx of cash)? Yes, I would.

I'm not worried about this. If Oregon wants him to stay, we've got the means to make him stay. Now that we're Big 10 bound there are only a few jobs that might be objectively better than where he's at right now and A&M isn't one of them.

Pretty sure with incentives, which DL is on pace to hit, he will make $8million. He’s not making chump change at UO, it’s just structured in incentives instead of guarantee.
Once the B1G money takes full effect it'll likely be guaranteed if he's still around
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Naaa, not worried at all. As someone else said, if Georgia or Bama opens up I could see him splitting but that's it. He is 2-3 years away from winning a National Championship (Yea, not gonna happen this year, we arn't there yet). He knows he is close at Oregon. He isn't going to bail on all these kids when we are very close to being a serious contender.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Reason #1 why Dan Lanning is not going to ATM:
https://aggypedia.com/
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Hoping for the best, not surprised at the worst
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Lane Kiffin??? Word is he doesn't love it in Oxford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Dennis Dodd of CBS sports says that aTm is a better job than Oregon, but that Lanning might not want to leave so early into his tenure here and in the midst of a playoff hunt. The Aggies might have to wait until December if they want him. Or Lanning might want to wait for the Alabama gig to open up.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... bo-fisher/

I wish someone would post a list of the best jobs in order so I could figure this out better. I would have had Oregon higher if the money was similar, so obviously I am way off, since Dennis Dodd is a senior sportswriter at CBS and I am not.

By the way, at this moment, the thumbnail on Wikipedia for Dan Lanning says Head Coach Texas A & M.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Phalanx wrote:Dennis Dodd of CBS sports says that aTm is a better job than Oregon, but that Lanning might not want to leave so early into his tenure here and in the midst of a playoff hunt. The Aggies might have to wait until December if they want him. Or Lanning might want to wait for the Alabama gig to open up.

I wish someone would post a list of the best jobs in order so I could figure this out better. I would have had Oregon higher if the money was similar, so obviously I am way off, since Dennis Dodd is a senior sportswriter at CBS and I am not.

By the way, at this moment, the thumbnail on Wikipedia for Dan Lanning says Head Coach Texas A & M.
In case you haven’t figured out Dodd’s MO, it’s basically a strategy of throwing out as much as he possibly can so at some point he can say ‘ I was sorta right and only partially wrong’.

The bottom line, he’s not considered a college football insider. Back in the days of the Willy Lyles episode he ran with the narrative that Oregon was getting the death penalty.

Wikipedia says DL is the head coach at UO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Phalanx wrote:Dennis Dodd of CBS sports says that aTm is a better job than Oregon, but that Lanning might not want to leave so early into his tenure here and in the midst of a playoff hunt. The Aggies might have to wait until December if they want him. Or Lanning might want to wait for the Alabama gig to open up.

Wikipedia is as trustworthy as google/yahoo search :lol:
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I just think it's funny that the Oregon coach, whoever it is at the time, is always at the top of everyone's list to replace an outgoing coach, especially in the South. Can't they all see how the last two turned out? Is it possible that Oregon is actually a really good gig that makes coaches look better than they would normally look?

I didn't care when Mario was rumored to be on everyone's list, and I only cared when he left because it was right at the end of a recruiting cycle. Mario is a meathead and his offense was making me take up other hobbies during football season. But Lanning would be a serious loss. He is building something here that could go on for a long time. Hopefully the A.D. can figure out how to hold onto him for awhile. I would also hate it if his past statements about staying here as long as they will have him turned out to be lies only a year later.

According to this article, the buyout for Lanning is $44 million. Seems like a nice silver lining if the worst happens.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 063395007/
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

“First, I will say things like this are going to come up when you have team success and you do your job and things go the way they’re supposed to go. That’s credit really to our team. That being said, I think there’s a little bit of a problem in society today with people looking for what’s next and where there’s an opportunity. The reality is, the grass is not always greener; in fact, the grass is damn green in Eugene. I want to be here in Eugene for as long as Eugene will have me. This place has everything that I could possibly want. Everything my family would ever want. I have an 11-year old that’s lived in eight different states. The last thing I want to do for everyone is leave. I want to enjoy this opportunity here. It’s been a phenomenal place for us. When you talk about things that align, things that match your vision, what you’re looking for as a head coach, Oregon checks every box for me. I think history maybe shows this is a great place to be and not a place to leave. I want to be here. Hopefully, that’s the last time I have to really address it but the reality is this is a destination not just for me but for elite players. And why is it a destination? Because of great administration, great fans, great support, and it’s a good reason to be here and why we’re having the success we’re having.”

-Dan Lanning past statement
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

5$ wrote:“First, I will say things like this are going to come up when you have team success and you do your job and things go the way they’re supposed to go. That’s credit really to our team. That being said, I think there’s a little bit of a problem in society today with people looking for what’s next and where there’s an opportunity. The reality is, the grass is not always greener; in fact, the grass is damn green in Eugene. I want to be here in Eugene for as long as Eugene will have me. This place has everything that I could possibly want. Everything my family would ever want. I have an 11-year old that’s lived in eight different states. The last thing I want to do for everyone is leave. I want to enjoy this opportunity here. It’s been a phenomenal place for us. When you talk about things that align, things that match your vision, what you’re looking for as a head coach, Oregon checks every box for me. I think history maybe shows this is a great place to be and not a place to leave. I want to be here. Hopefully, that’s the last time I have to really address it but the reality is this is a destination not just for me but for elite players. And why is it a destination? Because of great administration, great fans, great support, and it’s a good reason to be here and why we’re having the success we’re having.”

-Dan Lanning past statement
He needs to put out a similar statement. Today. If that is really were his head is out now. Shut it all down.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Dennis Dodd??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I've forgot more about football than he ever will know.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine