All Pac-12

Re: 2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Post by Tray Dub »

Must be so demoralizing to be an OSU fan right now
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Michigan State made it official. I wonder how long JS will last there? It is a scummy move akin to what Taggert and Christobal did. I am so glad for our coaches at Oregon.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

rockthief wrote:Michigan State made it official. I wonder how long JS will last there? It is a scummy move akin to what Taggert and Christobal did. I am so glad for our coaches at Oregon.
WTF? A scummy move? Why would he stay at Oregon State? There's so much turmoil right now. What conference are we playing in? If we (OSU and WSU) get absorbed into the MWC, the champion isn't guaranteed to be in the CFP. What is the TV contract going to be? How is OSU going to keep the football team at the level they are right now? The answer to most of these questions is We don't know. Smith is a great coach. He wants to win National Championship too. He's not going to do it in the Coastal Division of the Mountain West. Nothing scummy about it. Football is a business, like it or not.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Good luck to MSU and Smith (34-35)
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

nogerO wrote:
rockthief wrote:Michigan State made it official. I wonder how long JS will last there? It is a scummy move akin to what Taggert and Christobal did. I am so glad for our coaches at Oregon.
WTF? A scummy move? Why would he stay at Oregon State? There's so much turmoil right now. What conference are we playing in? If we (OSU and WSU) get absorbed into the MWC, the champion isn't guaranteed to be in the CFP. What is the TV contract going to be? How is OSU going to keep the football team at the level they are right now? The answer to most of these questions is We don't know. Smith is a great coach. He wants to win National Championship too. He's not going to do it in the Coastal Division of the Mountain West. Nothing scummy about it. Football is a business, like it or not.
The scummy part is negotiating before the end of the season and leaving before the bowl game. Ducks know about that. We got Lanning out of all that so it all turned out well. I don't know what OSU can do to salvage their team.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I don’t see it as scummy, I see it as survival. The Beavs are down the drain for a while, probably going to the MWC. I can see them getting gutted this off season, players jamming the portal, Smith taking coaches, sad it turned out this way but happy for Smith.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

rockthief wrote:
nogerO wrote:
The scummy part is negotiating before the end of the season and leaving before the bowl game. Ducks know about that. We got Lanning out of all that so it all turned out well. I don't know what OSU can do to salvage their team.
Can't blame JS for seeing what was about to happen and instead of staying and have his resume tarnished, he took the initiative to move to a much better situation while he could. Can't blame him for that. Just like OSU whining about us jumping to the BIG, glad the AD realized what was about to happen and had a plan to get out while we could, apparently, so did he.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

rockthief wrote:
nogerO wrote:
That's how the process works. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. If he turned his nose up at the timeline he would get passed over for a much better job, which is unreasonable to expect.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Damn tough break for the Beavs
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Smith has made it clear for a while now that he's been disappointed with the OSU athletic department, and powers that be, that they haven't been on top of the conference realignment issue while all the other schools were jumping ship. The fact that they're going to be stuck in a lower conference means he won't get paid what he's worth, recruiting will be far far more difficult, current players will be leaving to go to a better school in a better conference, and winning a championship will be more difficult than ever are all factors. He's not anywhere near the level of Cristobal or Taggart. I never saw him blow smoke up anyone's ass. I think this just shows just how incompetent the OSU athletic department is if they didn't see this coming.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

So with all that money spent to buy out Dumbo...Texas ATM is apparently hiring Kentucky's Mark Stoops as his replacement, while mandating that he keep the highest paid assistants from Dumbo's staff because the school can't afford their buyouts...lol.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pdxduck2013 wrote:So with all that money spent to buy out Dumbo...Texas ATM is apparently hiring Kentucky's Mark Stoops as his replacement, while mandating that he keep the highest paid assistants from Dumbo's staff because the school can't afford their buyouts...lol.
If true, they must've gotten turned down by half the country.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

StevensTechU wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:So with all that money spent to buy out Dumbo...Texas ATM is apparently hiring Kentucky's Mark Stoops as his replacement, while mandating that he keep the highest paid assistants from Dumbo's staff because the school can't afford their buyouts...lol.
If true, they must've gotten turned down by half the country.
From what I understand, the boosters run that program, and they do it very poorly. Any coach looking to have a long career running the program the way they see fit is a misinformed coach. The smart ones stay far away from there