2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: 2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Post by StevensTechU »

If DeBoer gets a big offer, I think he bolts. At $4.2M/yr salary, both Michigan State and Texas A&M will have the cash to make him much more lucrative offers (~$10M), and uw's athletic department has publicly-discussed financial challenges.

Best case for uw is probably DeBoer getting poached but retaining Grubb by promoting him to head coach. I don't see any west coast-based G5 coach waiting to be snatched up, and even if that was the case, UCLA might be hunting for a new coach at the same time. Some coach out there might have to decide whether they want to live in USC's shadow or Oregon's shadow.

I don't see Stein being a candidate for a high quality G5 HC job yet. Not after 1 year at Oregon, unless UTSA tries to bring him back. Lupoi's name seemingly never is in the HC discussions.

This will all get more interesting, like it does every year.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

So the Huskies, in their DeBoer Denial, are hanging their hats on this aircraft being scheduled to travel from EUG to College Station on 11/19 is proof that things are in the mix for A&M with an Oregon coach (perhaps assistant?)... But they also realized the timing of the flight could be DeBoer sneaking off to A&M after their game in Corvallis

:lol:

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight ... /KCLL/KEUG
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

5$ wrote:So the Huskies, in their DeBoer Denial, are hanging their hats on this aircraft being scheduled to travel from EUG to College Station on 11/19 is proof that things are in the mix for A&M with an Oregon coach (perhaps assistant?)... But they also realized the timing of the flight could be DeBoer sneaking off to A&M after their game in Corvallis

If it were an Oregon coach it would make much more sense if it were flying out of Phoenix to college Station.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:What if... Chip got fired, Stein took a different job, and we hired Chip to be our offensive coordinator? I feel like he and Lanning would vibe pretty well together, and he cook just cook up game plans without having to worry so much about recruiting.
No thanks. Chip is likely done with college and he would need to recruit and he would never fit in with the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by lmduck on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

5$ wrote:So the Huskies, in their DeBoer Denial, are hanging their hats on this aircraft being scheduled to travel from EUG to College Station on 11/19 is proof that things are in the mix for A&M with an Oregon coach (perhaps assistant?)... But they also realized the timing of the flight could be DeBoer sneaking off to A&M after their game in Corvallis

Lots of graphic design tools out there on the internet

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

If UCLA cuts Chip loose which seems probable, watch for Jonathan Smith's name to surface. He is from SoCal and there are some rumors that he is digusted with the AD at OS for the mess they are in

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lmduck wrote:If UCLA cuts Chip loose which seems probable, watch for Jonathan Smith's name to surface. He is from SoCal and there are some rumors that he is digusted with the AD at OS for the mess they are in

I wasn't aware that he's from SoCal. I was thinking that he might jump to UW since he used to be the OC there.

Lots of possibilities, I guess.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

If Jonathan Smith (and staff) moves on, that's quite wild. Everyone knows Smith graduated from OSU, but the second most valuable coach on that staff, DC Trent Bray, also went to OSU. Special Teams coach Jake Cookus went to OSU. Michael Doctor (head of Recruiting) went to OSU. Other staff members are from Port Angeles and Walla Walla. I'm sure the uncertainty is frustrating, but I don't see how the current AD could have done anything differently, and your contract still pays handsomely. If they go, it'll be viewed as jumping off a sinking ship and no one will blame them, but with the ties to the program, it's pretty wild.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:If Jonathan Smith (and staff) moves on, that's quite wild. Everyone knows Smith graduated from OSU, but the second most valuable coach on that staff, DC Trent Bray, also went to OSU. Special Teams coach Jake Cookus went to OSU. Michael Doctor (head of Recruiting) went to OSU. Other staff members are from Port Angeles and Walla Walla. I'm sure the uncertainty is frustrating, but I don't see how the current AD could have done anything differently, and your contract still pays handsomely. If they go, it'll be viewed as jumping off a sinking ship and no one will blame them, but with the ties to the program, it's pretty wild.
Agree that Smith is a perfect fit in Corvallis. But, there have been persistent rumors that he is very unhappy with the way the AD has handled the realignment stuff. There was word circulating awhile back that he told Barnes if they were not in a P5 conference he was out. True? Don't know but have to think he would at least listen if something piqued his interest.

I don't think he goes some place like Boise State and he would have to up his recruiting game if he landed at UCLA but that one does not seem out of the realm. If he landed at UCLA I could see a lot of OS guys hitting the portal and following him there.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

If you read the dates correctly, the 737 came in on the 11th, and left EUG the next day, not this coming weekend. Looks like they may have come in already and pitched their deal. Though, a 737 is very large for a private aircraft, unless they packed up a lot of their boosters to come along for the ride as well. Did A&M have ANY team up here competitively last weekend?
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

lmduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:What if... Chip got fired, Stein took a different job, and we hired Chip to be our offensive coordinator? I feel like he and Lanning would vibe pretty well together, and he cook just cook up game plans without having to worry so much about recruiting.
No thanks. Chip is likely done with college and he would need to recruit and he would never fit in with the staff.

Agreed. But I do think wherever he goes it would be a better fit as an OC.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Everythingsducky wrote:

If you read the dates correctly, the 737 came in on the 11th, and left EUG the next day, not this coming weekend. Looks like they may have come in already and pitched their deal. Though, a 737 is very large for a private aircraft, unless they packed up a lot of their boosters to come along for the ride as well. Did A&M have ANY team up here competitively last weekend?
everyone has pretty much concluded that is a photoshopped flight plan.

They (TAMU)would have first reached out to Lanning’s agent and some with ties to the AD are not even sure that happened.

The same people with ties to the AD believe the DL to TAMU was ginned up by the Aggie fan boards.

duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

I think Chip's going to get another year-at least.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

duck92 wrote:I think Chip's going to get another year-at least.
Ha! UCLA fans are like Beaver fans: they hate the Trojans more than they like their own team. If you beat USC, all else is forgiven. One of their biggest boosters just came out in open support of retaining Chip. Looks like he might survive.