#15 Oregon State @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 24, Fri 5:30 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

#15 Oregon State @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 24, Fri 5:30 PM Fox)

Post by greenyellow »

It's Civil War Week.
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: #15 Oregon State @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 24, Fri 5:30 PM Fox)

Post by SuperDuck »

Yep. It'll be an interesting matchup.

The Ducks have a better defense than UW, but OSU also has very good O-Line, as well as Damien Martinez.

The Beav's will likely want to play for time of possession in order to keep the Ducks offense off the field.

I think the keys will be the Ducks scoring on as many possessions as possible (obviously), while having the defense stop OSU on 3rd down.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SuperDuck wrote:Yep. It'll be an interesting matchup.

The Ducks have a better defense than UW, but OSU also has very good O-Line, as well as Damien Martinez.

The Beav's will likely want to play for time of possession in order to keep the Ducks offense off the field.

I think the keys will be the Ducks scoring on as many possessions as possible (obviously), while having the defense stop OSU on 3rd down.

Thoughts?

IOS OL isn’t as good as advertised. I belive we will get 4-5 sacks Friday against DJ. OS also can’t cover super good, I won’t be surprised if UO is up 28-7 at half. Penix is who I said he is all along. Tell him we’re to go before the snap, and he’s awesome. Make him go through progressions and he is pedestrian

Im going with a 41-17 UO win.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Oregon is a -14 favorite. Some other interesting spreads:

Texas Tech @ Texas (-13.5)
Ohio State @ Michigan (-4)
Alabama (-14.5) @ Auburn
Arizona (-12.5) @ Arizona State
Washington State @ Washington (-16)
Florida State (-6) @ Florida
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Oregon State will have the same issue against Oregon that they had again uw, which is that they don't generate a pass rush. Their backers and cover guys are all above average to really good, but Penix had all day and so will Nix.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Oregon State will have the same issue against Oregon that they had again uw, which is that they don't generate a pass rush. Their backers and cover guys are all above average to really good, but Penix had all day and so will Nix.

Actually their DBs are average to below average this year. Franklin will run right by them.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

DJ U is meh, but their running game is good. I looked at their coaching staff and it looks like their OL coach was Tedford's OL coach at Cal when they had all those good RB's. Their RB coach was Chris Petersen's RB coach at Boise St. and UW.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Oregon State will have the same issue against Oregon that they had again uw, which is that they don't generate a pass rush. Their backers and cover guys are all above average to really good, but Penix had all day and so will Nix.

Actually their DBs are average to below average this year. Franklin will run right by them.
Disagree. Oladapo was all-conference HM in '22, Cooper was all-conference HM in '22, Akili Arnold is a savvy vet, and Jermod McCoy might be the best freshman DB in the conference (of those who have played). They're as good of a unit as Oregon's DBs but have no pass rush to help them out.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The biggest (and most important) thing we can do is to make them one-dimensional in the pass-game because they have to play catch-up constantly.

Just like yesterday though, this is the team that is keeping them from their goals and this team will rise to the occasion.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

OSewe/OAC is a different team away from the Big Burrito and Autzen is no ordinary away venue.

I expect this game to play out much like the Utah game.

The Beavs actually remind me of Utah. Elite coaches, maximized talent, physical, sound football., but when they play competently coached teams with superior physical talent they have no answers.

Something happened to our program after the UW game. I believe in the hurt and frustration of that locker room in Seattle, the spark that took this team from good to great (Lanning’s theme for 2023) happened.

I have never understood all the Beaver love from the media. Again, they are “Utah light” and I expect us to easily cover.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

While I just can't feel as confident as bdkipe seems to be (it just isn't my nature), I do think there's something to what he(?) is saying. For the first time this season, I actually saw the Beavers play a little last night. They did strike me as an extremely well-coached team (as much as I could possibly tell such a thing from such a brief observation) with effective players within their system. But physically, they definitely looked inferior to the Ducks pretty much across the board. Especially given how well the Ducks are playing and that I have to think that quite a lot of air was taken out of the Beavers with last night's loss (I don't think a remaining "negative" impulse of wanting to ruin the Ducks' season will be enough), I certainly won't be surprised if the Ducks win by two TDs or more.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I'm actually not feeling that great about our run defense. We gave up an average of 5 yards per attempt against UW and USC(I stripped out QB runs/sacks). I'm assuming OSU is similar to UW/USC in that they have a good QB (I could be wrong here) who can beat you through the air. If we let OSU sustain drives by pounding it out on the ground, this won't be pretty.

Now of course, I'm sure some will say that USC was behind so covering the pass was more important than covering the run. That said, the run defense actually has felt shaky.

The things that do work in our favor are 1. it's a home game, and 2. OSU is coming off a tough game against UW while our starters only played a half this past weekend coming into this shortened week.
canaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by canaduck »

Tray Dub wrote:Oregon is a -14 favorite. Some other interesting spreads:

Texas Tech @ Texas (-13.5)
Ohio State @ Michigan (-4)
Alabama (-14.5) @ Auburn
Arizona (-12.5) @ Arizona State
Washington State @ Washington (-16)
Florida State (-6) @ Florida
That feels crazy to me, that we're favoured about the same amount as Alabama against Auburn. Granted Auburn is at home but that's where they just lost handily to New Mexico State.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

ducks5ever wrote:I'm actually not feeling that great about our run defense. We gave up an average of 5 yards per attempt against UW and USC(I stripped out QB runs/sacks). I'm assuming OSU is similar to UW/USC in that they have a good QB (I could be wrong here) who can beat you through the air. If we let OSU sustain drives by pounding it out on the ground, this won't be pretty.

Now of course, I'm sure some will say that USC was behind so covering the pass was more important than covering the run. That said, the run defense actually has felt shaky.

The things that do work in our favor are 1. it's a home game, and 2. OSU is coming off a tough game against UW while our starters only played a half this past weekend coming into this shortened week.
well, if it matters any Oregon and Georgia are the only two top ten teams in top 10 in scoring offense and defense per James Crepea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

ducks5ever wrote:I'm actually not feeling that great about our run defense. We gave up an average of 5 yards per attempt against UW and USC(I stripped out QB runs/sacks). I'm assuming OSU is similar to UW/USC in that they have a good QB (I could be wrong here) who can beat you through the air. If we let OSU sustain drives by pounding it out on the ground, this won't be pretty.

Interesting take given Crepea's article of last Thursday, the first two paragraphs of which read:

Oregon’s ability to stop the run was a strength on an otherwise challenged defense last season. This season, the No. 6 Ducks are performing at an elite level and could end up as the best in program history.

Oregon (9-1, 6-1 Pac-12) enters Saturday’s game (1 p.m., Fox) at Arizona State No. 11 nationally in rushing yards allowed per game (95.1) and tied for 17th in yards allowed per carry (3.22), up from 31st and 74th, respectively, last season. Since 1952, the oldest program records that exist, UO’s season-best was in 1989 (101.8 rush ypg.).