Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like Oregon and OSU are working on a way to keep the series going next season but it's dependent on Boise State.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Re: Civil War to continue?

Post by duckpoint »

I'm definitely for keeping the Civil War going, but only if it is The Civil War.

If they want to continue with the misapplied woke censorship crap, then just relegate it to the garbage heap!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I would make a very defined stipulation that if the Pac-2 withholds revenue from Oregon that it is entitled to ahead of formal exit, the series is cancelled.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I would make a very defined stipulation that if the Pac-2 withholds revenue from Oregon that it is entitled to ahead of formal exit, the series is cancelled.
From my brief understanding of that last ruling in favor of the PAC2, it sounds like they also understand the need to abide by that as doing otherwise might kick in the endless appeals from the other schools. Also sounds like the other schools recognize that its this current year that they're only going to have a standing for and rightfully so since everyone is still a member this year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s going to go to endless appeals. WSU/OSU being very cagey about anything to do with the funds. If they really want to keep fighting, California state law says you don’t need unanimous vote to dissolve a business. If the other 10 vote to dissolve the pac, it’s gone. Nothing they can do to stop it. No judge in WA can tell California what to do.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> misapplied woke censorship crap,

Somewhat OT, but I noticed that they were calling the Miami-Louisville game the Howard Schnellenberger Trophy (he coached at both schools). Pity they waited until he died. Maybe they should name the Civil War the "Rich Brooks Cup." He was a player and assistant coach for OSU, and, of course, HC at Oregon. IIRC, he was on the winning side of every Civil War game he played or coached, first with OSU and later at Oregon. OSU shouldn't object, but if they do, heck with them, they can play rivalry games with Willamette.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

73duck wrote:> misapplied woke censorship crap,

Somewhat OT, but I noticed that they were calling the Miami-Louisville game the Howard Schnellenberger Trophy (he coached at both schools). Pity they waited until he died. Maybe they should name the Civil War the "Rich Brooks Cup." He was a player and assistant coach for OSU, and, of course, HC at Oregon. IIRC, he was on the winning side of every Civil War game he played or coached, first with OSU and later at Oregon. OSU shouldn't object, but if they do, heck with them, they can play rivalry games with Willamette.
Not quite. Besides the Toilet Bowl 0-0 tie of 1983, the Ducks lost to the Beavers in 1988, 1991 and 1993 while Brooks was the Ducks HC.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Oregon in talks to swap BSU for OSU

Post by Zyme »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2023/1 ... great.html

Oregon in talks with Boise to delay upcoming series to open up a slot for the game formerly known as the Civil War. Looking at our schedule next year we do have an off week before Washington so it could still be a later in the year game on the 23rd of November (and OSU has nothing scheduled then).

Note: Oregon has its non-Conference schedule set up fully through 2028 and a as single open spot in 2029 so moving BSU fixes two years of issues, further moving needed to schedule 27 and 2028.
https://fbschedules.com/2029-oregon-football-schedule/
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Duck07
All-American

Re: Oregon in talks to swap BSU for OSU

Post by Duck07 »

Zyme wrote:https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2023/1 ... great.html

Oregon in talks with Boise to delay upcoming series to open up a slot for the game formerly known as the Civil War. Looking at our schedule next year we do have an off week before Washington so it could still be a later in the year game on the 23rd of November (and OSU has nothing scheduled then).

Note: Oregon has its non-Conference schedule set up fully through 2028 and a as single open spot in 2029 so moving BSU fixes two years of issues, further moving needed to schedule 27 and 2028.
We get to play 13 games next year because of the Hawaii game so just because we have 2 "open" dates doesn't actually make them open, which is why it sounds like that Boise at UO game is the one that we'd try to cancel/reschedule in order to facilitate a Civil War Football game because not having a BYE before that 8-game stretch (or turning it into a 10-game stretch) doesn't make sense for us.

For every other sport, our OOC is going to be heavy on our old PAC foes because of the ridiculous travel we'll have in the B1G.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Honestly, unless Smith leaves and they have a mass exodus of players, I don't want the Ducks to play them. They're a good team (now) and our schedule will already be tough enough next year without them.
John 3:36
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

SuperDuck wrote:

Honestly, unless Smith leaves and they have a mass exodus of players, I don't want the Ducks to play them. They're a good team (now) and our schedule will already be tough enough next year without them.
Whether or not Smith leaves they may have a mass exodus. As pointed out in another thread those guys came to OS to play P5 teams and with their current situation they won't be playing P5 teams in 2024.

Poster in another thread said there are rumors of locker room strife now and if true that certainly does not bode well for the future.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I don't have a big opinion on whether to continue playing Oregon State, but I definitely would not want to play them just before UW next year. Remember, UW also currently has a bye the week before we play them and so I wouldn't want them to have a "bye week advantage" over us. But if the powers that be are determined to keep the Oregon state rivalry going and want to replace BSU with OSU on 9/14/24, I'm probably ok with it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

SuperDuck wrote:
I feel the exact opposite. I don't think Colorado gets much of anything out of playing Colorado State, but Alabama does in playing Auburn.

If Oregon State isn't a legitimate opponent, I think you're better off scheduling California and Arizona schools for recruiting purposes.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
I feel the exact opposite. I don't think Colorado gets much of anything out of playing Colorado State, but Alabama does in playing Auburn.

If Oregon State isn't a legitimate opponent, I think you're better off scheduling California and Arizona schools for recruiting purposes.
Ultimately I both accept and hate this reality (for them and us).
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If the B1G moved to an 8 game conference schedule like the SEC and ACC I’d personally want to see Oregon and Oregon State play every year starting in 2025 (not next year, they needed to be grounded for a year for the crap they’ve pulled) but with a 9 game BIG schedule I agree that the reward isn’t worth the risk of playing them every year.