Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Civil War to continue?

Post by GrandpaDuck »

After the basketball season is over this year, I am going to shift a gear and add Beaver fandom to my Duck and PSU fandom. I will root for the Ducks over them in the games they play head to head but support them against everyone else.

As a future supporter of the Beavs I want them to play Oregon if and only if they need the big Non-conf payday but at the same time I hate being the body in a bodybag game. I will probably feel like I do with Portland State, I suspend my PSU fandom for that day and just root for the Ducks while knowing the beatdown helps support the program overall. If somehow the future PAC-2 conference alignment is lucrative enough that they don't need to play then great I can root for both teams to go undefeated.

Emotionally I am not there yet rooting for the Beavs but I have so many ties to the school I'm sure it will come when they are in a different conference.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I'm mixed. Being in my 40s I'm big on the tradition of college football with its rivalries, and conference layout. I've really found myself disliking the game more and more recently because money is trumping tradition. That said, I would actuality love to root for OSU success, but I would find it hard to do if they played each other every year.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

GrandpaDuck wrote:After the basketball season is over this year, I am going to shift a gear and add Beaver fandom to my Duck and PSU fandom. I will root for the Ducks over them in the games they play head to head but support them against everyone else.
I was already doing this, it will be way easier if they're in different leagues.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

5$ wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:After the basketball season is over this year, I am going to shift a gear and add Beaver fandom to my Duck and PSU fandom. I will root for the Ducks over them in the games they play head to head but support them against everyone else.
I was already doing this, it will be way easier if they're in different leagues.

Beavers and their whiny fans are the absolute worst. Why would anyone root for them? Especially after the antics since we left the pac?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

buckmarkduck wrote:
5$ wrote:

Beavers and their whiny fans are the absolute worst. Why would anyone root for them? Especially after the antics since we left the pac?
I concur.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Fwiw, apparently UW and WSU have agreed to continue the Apple Cup through 2028, with next year's game scheduled for Lumen Field on Sept 14, the same date we're understanding that OSU and UO are working on for a potential matchup.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
5$ wrote:

Well, I have 4 Nephews who are grads. My childhood best friends are both Beav grads and my grandson may go there as he is a division I athlete in an Olympic sport that OSU fields and UO doesn't. Beyond that all Division I fan bases overflow with assholes, UO certainly not excluded.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:
5$ wrote:

I've never understood why people think that the Beaver Nation is a better fanbase than us, like literally, they are intense hypocrites with their reasons of trashing Oregon arguably applying to the Beavs as well, and they are whining because we left for greener pastures that we needed to go to.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I've never understood why people think that the Beaver Nation is a better fanbase than us, like literally, they are intense hypocrites with their reasons of trashing Oregon arguably applying to the Beavs as well, and they are whining because we left for greener pastures that we needed to go to.
Agree with you halfway. Oregon's fanbase doesn't get nearly enough credit for sticking with the Ducks through thick and thin, including decades of futility when we were really no different than Oregon State. I wasn't a fan until the mid-90s so I missed the hardest of times, but we still had a bit of a lean period in the early/mid 2000s and nobody jumped ship. Oregon is definitely fortunate to have Phil Knight, but in my opinion he only adds to the compellingness of Oregon's storyline. And whenever called upon to win big, the players on the field have almost always finished the job. That's been the real key to Oregon's success.

That said, I wouldn't throw around words like "whining" to describe what Beaver fans are going through right now. Not a single Duck fan would go quietly into that good night if we were faced with the same situation. Our school/program literally broke free from a century of tradition and cherished rivalries to avoid that fate. It's awful what's happening to OSU and WSU. They're entitled to some anger. They just need to direct it toward the TV networks, not at other surviving schools.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'll just say I think its hilarious when ANY fan-base takes on a holier than thou approach to fandom and rivalries.

There are a lot more Oregon fans who are jerks online than Beavers by the very nature of Oregon having more fans so acting like the beavis fans are representative of them all is silly.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Kind of unrelated to the exact discussion here, but even if the Civil War continues I think the Oregon/OSU fan dynamic will change considerably over the next couple of generations. It's highly unlikely the two schools will ever be on equal footing again, and it's almost a certainty that they'll never be conference foes after today. I predict more Oregonians will grow up being fans of both schools rather than feeling the need to pick a side. Even if the Civil War continues, it will only ever really matter when the Beavers happen to beat Oregon -- and that will be exceptionally rare.

I'd say over the last 20 years, Washington has already been legit replacing OSU as the biggest rival in the hearts of Duck fans. The broadening of sports was already happening, and realignment just skipped things forward. I've honestly started cheering more for OSU as they've fallen down our rivalry pecking order. I see this continuing, and the end result is broader appreciation for both teams and probably a larger die-hard following of Oregon (being the nationally relevant school).

I'm in a Ducks/Beavers family. I'm a Duck alum, as is my brother and one late grandparent. My sister is a Beaver, as was my late aunt & late grandmother. My parents are fans of both. My son (whose surrogate is also a Beaver fan) has already received plenty of gifts from both sides. :lol: I'll definitely steer him toward the Ducks as he grows up (how can I not?) but we'll also watch and cheer for the Beavers when they're on... literally no reason not to after this season.

The TLDR... skip forward 80 years and most Oregonians will be Duck fans with a broad but less-passionate following for OSU.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:I'll just say I think its hilarious when ANY fan-base takes on a holier than thou approach to fandom and rivalries.

There are a lot more Oregon fans who are jerks online than Beavers by the very nature of Oregon having more fans so acting like the beavis fans are representative of them all is silly.
Agreed, I’ve been to Autzen more than enough times to see some of the worst behavior imaginable from duck fans.

With that said though, I don’t like Beaver fans.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Beaver fans are the worst. I rest my case.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/colle ... ublic.html

Oh a what’s even worse is that their AD has begged the state to force the UO to pay them for leaving the conference. Then beav politicians, who have far more important stuff to do then worry about sports, decided to get involved.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like Texas Tech may play a role in getting the Civil War back on the schedule.
DCfeatherbutt
One Star Recruit

Post by DCfeatherbutt »

Whaaaa? Let TT out of the return game? Replaced by going to Corvallis? If this is true I will be pissed. Maybe the TT return game would be rescheduled?

I am so over OAC and their troubles.

There is zero upside in playing OAC ever. Let them deal with Boise and Fresno. We owe them nothing. Typical snowflake Duck fans need to get a grip on this situation. STOP GIVING A S%%T about OAC. May they die a fiery athletic death.

We need to start acting like a real progrum.