Hypothetical Playoff Question (Do We Really Want In?)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Hypothetical Playoff Question (Do We Really Want In?)

Post by SuperDuck »

I was just reading through some of the other posts that were discussing what it would take for Oregon to make the playoffs when it occurred to me...do we really want to face Georgia again?

"If" we manage to make the playoffs, in all likelihood it would be as the #4 seed, though #3 is possible.

If we made it as the #4 seed we'd almost surely be matched up against Georgia. I love my Ducks, I would love for them to win the natty, and I know that you have to beat the best in order to be the best.

That said, Georgia seems to be peaking right now. They have both Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers back and are starting to resemble last year's team.

My biggest concern is being trounced by them again. I think it would be a better, closer game, but I still don't know that we match up well with them.

I'd like our chances against OSU, Michigan or FSU, but Georgia is scary.

Would it be better to not make the playoff, play another Top-10 team in a different Bowl game, win that game, and then have everyone say "Oregon should have been in the playoff" rather than getting in and risk suffering another beatdown?

It's not just us that they've thrashed. They just trounced ranked Tennessee, Mississippi and others, as well as the 65-7 drubbing of TCU in last year's title game.

My fear is that if we were beaten soundly it might negatively affect recruiting.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Re: Hypothetical Playoff Question (Do We Really Want In?)

Post by DuckzRule »

At this rate I would prefer a NY6 bowl against Alabama or Penn State , as much I want to make the CFP to bring some respect to the Pac-12 in it's last year.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

There's still time for you to delete this
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

As a general reminder, it was something like our 7th or 8th drive in the middle of the 3rd Quarter when we had our first 3 and out against that vaunted Georgia defense. We were able to move the ball against them we just couldn't finish drives.

Frankly, I do want to play UGA and while it'd be nicer in the Championship game, I'm waiting to hear Dan say in the post-game that "Kirby knows we've got better players" after beating them.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The exposure and legitimacy it gives your brand to make the playoffs is huge. Michigan and Oklahoma have done absolutely nothing in the playoffs, but they're still considered top notch just by having gone in the eyes of recruits*, and to a lesser extent, media.

Since the invention of the playoffs, NY6 bowls have lost their luster. If you're not over 35, going to the Rose Bowl or Cotton Bowl or whatever else just really doesn't matter. Did you play for a national title; yes or no.

Georgia definitely is peaking, but they still aren't as good as last year's team. Oregon is much, much better than Missouri, and that game ended 21-30. I think Oregon can hang 30 on Georgia, so the question to me is whether they can hold Georgia to under 30.

*Really important
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

You always want the playoffs, unless Oregon just plays awful they won’t get blown out and the exposure you get in the playoffs far exceeds any exposure you get in an NY6 bowl and it’s a huge boost for recruiting. Plus Oregon/Lanning would be ahead of schedule if they make the playoffs, nobody would fault them for losing to Georgia again especially in a hard fought game compared to a Lincoln Riley Oklahoma team that made it like 4 times in a row and got blown out each time.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I couldn't finish reading this. I've always been told that there's no such thing as dumb questions, but here we are. The answer yes, of course we want in the playoffs
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:The exposure and legitimacy it gives your brand to make the playoffs is huge. Michigan and Oklahoma have done absolutely nothing in the playoffs, but they're still considered top notch just by having gone in the eyes of recruits*, and to a lesser extent, media.

Since the invention of the playoffs, NY6 bowls have lost their luster. If you're not over 35, going to the Rose Bowl or Cotton Bowl or whatever else just really doesn't matter. Did you play for a national title; yes or no.

Georgia definitely is peaking, but they still aren't as good as last year's team. Oregon is much, much better than Missouri, and that game ended 21-30. I think Oregon can hang 30 on Georgia, so the question to me is whether they can hold Georgia to under 30.

*Really important
I see, and agree, with this.

Next year it'll be a moot point. I just wanted to see what others thought, as well. Apparently, we have some different opinions, but the general consensus is that we want to make the playoffs regardless of who we play.

Actually, Missouri is a good team that actually had a chance to win that game. They were only down 27-21 but threw an INT on their last drive. Georgia then added a FG to make it a 2 score game.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

SuperDuck wrote:
Actually, Missouri is a good team that actually had a chance to win that game. They were only down 27-21 but threw an INT on their last drive. Georgia then added a FG to make it a 2 score game.
I think they're a solidly top 15 team, which I wouldn't have said early in the season. They squeaked by Middle Tennessee, and were outplayed by Kansas State at home but kicked a monster field goal to win. I think Missouri versus Oregon State would be a coin flip (and would be an awesome bowl game, if only there was a conference tie-in). All that said, I would take Oregon's offense over Missouri's by a mile, and I would take our defense over theirs by an inch. So as you point out, that was a close game, so I'm really optimistic that we've got a chance to just outscore them.

All that said, I get a cold shiver when I think about stopping McConkey and Bowers.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This may sound cliche, but I'm hardly thinking about the playoff right now. I just want us to win the Civil War and get another crack at Washington. If we beat Washington, I'd almost be good just turning off the TV and leaving it off until February & pretending nothing else happened in the remainder of this football season. I want that win BADLY.

That said, yes, definitely the playoffs. Way better than a NY6 bowl in today's landscape.

But, damn it, all I really want for Christmas is to drill the hucking fuskies.

Side note... lots of interesting stuff on Twitter since Saturday night (from some media & UW fans) about how UW really deserves to be in even if they lose to Oregon in two weeks. :lol: Smells like fear! I love it. I needs it.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

pezsez1 wrote:This may sound cliche, but I'm hardly thinking about the playoff right now. I just want us to win the Civil War and get another crack at Washington. If we beat Washington, I'd almost be good just turning off the TV and leaving it off until February & pretending nothing else happened in the remainder of this football season. I want that win BADLY.

That said, yes, definitely the playoffs. Way better than a NY6 bowl in today's landscape.

But, damn it, all I really want for Christmas is to drill the hucking fuskies.

Side note... lots of interesting stuff on Twitter since Saturday night (from some media & UW fans) about how UW really deserves to be in even if they lose to Oregon in two weeks. :lol: Smells like fear! I love it. I needs it.
Not that it could or should happen, but it is a fair argument that has as much (or more?) merit than UGA & Bama or OSU & Mich getting in to the exclusion of other big 5 conferences.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

SuperDuck wrote:I was just reading through some of the other posts that were discussing what it would take for Oregon to make the playoffs when it occurred to me...do we really want to face Georgia again?

"If" we manage to make the playoffs, in all likelihood it would be as the #4 seed, though #3 is possible.

If we made it as the #4 seed we'd almost surely be matched up against Georgia. I love my Ducks, I would love for them to win the natty, and I know that you have to beat the best in order to be the best.

That said, Georgia seems to be peaking right now. They have both Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers back and are starting to resemble last year's team.

My biggest concern is being trounced by them again. I think it would be a better, closer game, but I still don't know that we match up well with them.

I'd like our chances against OSU, Michigan or FSU, but Georgia is scary.

Would it be better to not make the playoff, play another Top-10 team in a different Bowl game, win that game, and then have everyone say "Oregon should have been in the playoff" rather than getting in and risk suffering another beatdown?

It's not just us that they've thrashed. They just trounced ranked Tennessee, Mississippi and others, as well as the 65-7 drubbing of TCU in last year's title game.

My fear is that if we were beaten soundly it might negatively affect recruiting.

Thoughts?
Being dumb isn’t against the law so you’re free to go…

Hell yes I want to play Georgia. We would have a chance to stop their streak(s) and win it all. This is team can only be beaten by themselves. A national championship in my lifetime!
Go DUCKS!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I really want to have a shot at Alabama or Georgia NOW! Especially towards the Crimson Tide!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

What would be sweeter than beating Bama or Georgia in the playoffs?

Beating both, after curb stomping UW and OS to finish the PAC 12!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

woundedknees wrote:What would be sweeter than beating Bama or Georgia in the playoffs?

Beating both, after curb stomping UW and OS to finish the PAC 12!
Would be unreal.