Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-QB1?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Does a 12-team Playoff help Ty Thompson's chances at being QB1?

Yes
No votes
No
76%
Why does this make me feel differently about him when phrased like this?
24%

Total votes: 34
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Does a 12-team playoff increase the odds of Ty Thompson-

Post by StevensTechU »

The New Hampshire QB that I hoped would hit the portal, Max Brosmer, announced today that he would. He's not a Heisman contender, but definitely can be a Sam Hartman quality guy at the FBS level.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

I bet we bring in a transfer QB. My wild guess would be DJ U or Tyler Shough.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:I bet we bring in a transfer QB. My wild guess would be DJ U or Tyler Shough.

To bad. I thought the idea was to upgrade.?

TTU literally told Shough to hit the portal, in favor of a qb that threw for 50 yards yesterday
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:I bet we bring in a transfer QB. My wild guess would be DJ U or Tyler Shough.

To bad. I thought the idea was to upgrade.?

TTU literally told Shough to hit the portal, in favor of a qb that threw for 50 yards yesterday
I heard a report yesterday on Slough, they felt he is headed to Arizona State, makes me wonder how bad the broken leg was.

I wouldn’t mind DJ, he is big and adds that to the offense. Wouldn’t he need to sit a year since he just left Clemson for the Beavs?
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

He might be a Grad transfer
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DJ and TT are basically the same QB.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:DJ and TT are basically the same QB.

There is 70 or 80 pounds difference.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

TheDrake wrote:He might be a Grad transfer

Thank you, he does graduate this year as a junior with one year left.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:

Or 20 lbs
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I still think Cam Ward might be a possibility. He'd be a much better QB under Stein.

Will Rogers of Mississippi State, a Mike Leach guy, just announced that he's entering the portal, too.

Maalik Murphy, the backup QB at Texas, is also rumored to be hitting the portal if Quin Ewers returns.

Another shocker might be Carson Beck of Georgia. Rumor has it that there are two highly rated recruits right behind him and that he's not guaranteed the job next year.

Ethan Garbers and Collin Schlee at UCLA are two more possibilities. The rumor is that the Moore is the future at QB and both of these guys have one more year of eligibility.

Two more names that are HIGHLY unlikely, but might show interest are Caleb Williams at USC and Cam Rising at Utah. Yes, they've both been committed to their schools and coaches, but both also have another year of eligibility. I think Williams has a bad taste in his mouth after the poor season USC had this year. He could be the first player in history to win a Heisman at two different schools!

Rising would be good because of his experience.

Of course, Williams and Rising are just my being hopeful. I haven't heard any rumors at all about either transferring.

Good article on the topic here.

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/2 ... 7/#2281203
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:

Or 20 lbs
I sure thought DJ was 265, according to google he is 251, TT is 220……. 31lbs
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/2 ... 7/#2281203

Certainly many interesting names on that list. My thoughts has been the staff would be looking for a guy who has starting experience and a somewhat "known" floor level of play (sort of like Bo coming from Auburn), rather than a highly rated yet inexperienced guy.

A number of highly rated "names" on the list who haven't played much who stand out though. I've heard suggestions there might be a Georgia connection with DL and Vandagriff. A name listed I hadn't thought of is Devin Brown at tOSU wanting out if McCord is settled in there. An Arizona kid who I believe transferred into Utah and spent his senior year at Jackson-Powers old high school (Corner Canyon). From what I can remember might be a good fit in a Stein offense (4,881 passing yards and 57 TDs as a senior with 430 rushing yards and 8 TDs in 14 games, briefly a USC commit as a HS junior under Helton).
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I would've killed for Devin Brown out of high school, but he has really not shown up in college. He's huge and looks like a linebacker, and maybe that's effecting him? If I'm taking a player off of tOSU, I'm taking Kienholz 100%. It's been leaked from players that he looks like the best guy in practice, but is just a true freshman.

I think the list is: Michael Pratt (Tulane), Jaxson Dart (Ole Miss), Max Brosmer (New Hampshire), Cameron Ward maybe, Riley Leonard (Duke), Dante Moore (UCLA). What's interesting is if Riley Leonard ends up at Alabama, would Jalen Milroe be worth going to get? I'll throw in Conner Weigman if he wants out of aTm, I suppose, but I frankly need to see more of him play.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:

Or 20 lbs
I sure thought DJ was 265, according to google he is 251, TT is 220……. 31lbs
TT is closer to about 230. Kid is stacked and unlike DJ he has no fat on him.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:I would've killed for Devin Brown out of high school, but he has really not shown up in college. He's huge and looks like a linebacker, and maybe that's effecting him? If I'm taking a player off of tOSU, I'm taking Kienholz 100%. It's been leaked from players that he looks like the best guy in practice, but is just a true freshman.
Getting Kienholz would certainly ruffle some fur up in Seattle. If I'm remembering correctly, after not taking a HS QB in their first class, Kienholz was a huge second class target and get for DeBoer and Grubb; and, his decommit to tOSU was considered a pretty big recruiting loss for the UW staff -- and fans. A South Dakota kid too (DeBoer's home state). So, that might be a bonus.

When I saw Brown listed, I was just sort of thinking about an Arizona/Utah kid who was once committed to a school in California, who appears to now be solidly behind a guy for the foreseeable future, who was I guess supposed to get some run in RedZone situations but (I think) ended up spending half the season out with an ankle injury (which I imagine was frustrating), might be a good candidate to return closer to home.

I looked at 247 and Oregon wasn't listed as being involved at all in his initial recruitment, so there is that; but, that was Lanning's first class (with Nix coming in), and I don't recall the staff being in on or after many (or really any) HS quarterbacks.