Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM A

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I agree with that assessment of over-using the horizontal passing game to set up deep passes. Oregon is always good at throwing the ball downfield for chunk yardage and sometimes I wonder if Stein falls victim to overthinking his own game plans. I was pretty confident in Oregon's chances in the final minutes of the game because I knew if we could get the ball back then we'd let it rip -- and great things happen when this offense does that. It's too bad we couldn't get a stop.

I've been keeping an eye on the Gabriel situation and that kid looks like he has a rocket of an arm. (I haven't watched film, just highlights.) I love Bo Nix, but I definitely think of him more as an elite game manager than a gunslinger (and that isn't a knock on Bo at all... he's amazing and we'd win multiple titles if all our QBs were as good as he is). Would be cool though to see what Lanning Inc. might cook up with a gunslinger under center -- someone who makes every single play a legit downfield threat.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:I agree with that assessment of over-using the horizontal passing game to set up deep passes. Oregon is always good at throwing the ball downfield for chunk yardage and sometimes I wonder if Stein falls victim to overthinking his own game plans. I was pretty confident in Oregon's chances in the final minutes of the game because I knew if we could get the ball back then we'd let it rip -- and great things happen when this offense does that. It's too bad we couldn't get a stop.

I've been keeping an eye on the Gabriel situation and that kid looks like he has a rocket of an arm. (I haven't watched film, just highlights.) I love Bo Nix, but I definitely think of him more as an elite game manager than a gunslinger (and that isn't a knock on Bo at all... he's amazing and we'd win multiple titles if all our QBs were as good as he is). Would be cool though to see what Lanning Inc. might cook up with a gunslinger under center -- someone who makes every single play a legit downfield threat.
Having a Herbert or Penix-like QB in the system would certainly be interesting since it'd probably make Stein call plays and attack defenses differently.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Horizontal opening up the vertical works on the middle half and lower teams... Not so effective against upper half teams. Also, Throwing downfield more helps get more PI calls. I would love to see the stats on how many PIs Oregon had called on them vs their opponents.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Listened to the QB11 podcast, it’s worth listening for sure!

Quick takeaways from QB11’s perspective:

1) Unlike last time Oregon didn’t outplay Washington, they just flat out beat Oregon.

2) The defensive strategy and playcalling was fine, but execution was not. With Burch out their OLine had a huge advantage and the Oregon defense overall did not play well, Bassa was someone he highlighted that didn’t play well. It was more of a personnel issue than coaching issue on defense. Doug disagreed with QB11 and felt that if other teams could stop Washington’s runs Oregon should’ve also, but QB11 said with Burch out and Dorlus playing on the outside we didn’t have enough length for their tall guards, and as I previously said Bassa was constantly out of position and did not play well particularly in run defense.

3) Offensive strategy and game management was very very poor. Huskies have shown to be weak in the middle and Stein did not exploit that near enough unless they were desperate and was way too committed to horizontal passes which is what the Huskies wanted. Force feeding Bucky was “gross mismanagement” as QB11 described it. They both felt Bo played his worst game of the season too.

4) Ducks didn’t lose to lack of effort but they were too nervous causing them to play slow while Huskies came out ready and they played way faster.

5) Ducks still aren’t quite there yet, but Lanning is headed in the right direction. Still lacking the elite personnel on defense but Lanning is recruiting the right players and the future is bright for Oregon fans. Despite the very disappointing end the season was still a success and they will finish strong with the recruiting class and portal.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Listened to the QB11 podcast, it’s worth listening for sure!

1) Unlike last time Oregon didn’t outplay Washington, they just flat out beat Oregon.

2) The defensive strategy and playcalling was fine, but execution was not. With Burch out their OLine had a huge advantage and the Oregon defense overall did not play well, Bassa was someone he highlighted that didn’t play well. It was more of a personnel issue than coaching issue on defense. Doug disagreed with QB11 and felt that if other teams could stop Washington’s runs Oregon should’ve also, but QB11 said with Burch out and Dorlus playing on the outside we didn’t have enough length for their tall guards, and as I previously said Bassa was constantly out of position and did not play well particularly in run defense.

3) Offensive strategy and game management was very very poor. Huskies have shown to be weak in the middle and Stein did not exploit that near enough unless they were desperate and was way too committed to horizontal passes which is what the Huskies wanted. Force feeding Bucky was “gross mismanagement” as QB11 described it. They both felt Bo played his worst game of the season too.

4) Ducks didn’t lose to lack of effort but they were too nervous causing them to play slow while Huskies came out ready and they played way faster.

5) Ducks still aren’t quite there yet, but Lanning is headed in the right direction. Still lacking the elite personnel on defense but Lanning is recruiting the right players and the future is bright for Oregon fans. Despite the very disappointing end the season was still a success and they will finish strong with the recruiting class and portal.
Thanks for this summary.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Listened to the QB11 podcast, it’s worth listening for sure!

With Burch out it changed alot of the dynamics of the game. But to be a championship team, that can't happen. Injuries happen and to be lucky, like a healthy UW team last weekend, is not sustainable. Glad we are recruiting well and hopefully will have the depth of a championship caliber team so we wont fall short like so many years due to injuries or suspensions.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The Burch injury wasn't the only issue, much the same as Darren Carrington's suspension for the BCG vs tOSU... Death by a thousand cuts is the same as getting run over by a train.

You're still finished.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Hythloday’s podcast is also interesting “It Never Rains On This Podcast”, though he isn’t so complimentary of the defensive gameplan and he’s VERY critical of the coaching staff (even questioned if they watched film), so some may not enjoy hearing it. I personally enjoying all of the podcasts.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Hythloday’s podcast is also interesting “It Never Rains On This Podcast”, though he isn’t so complimentary of the defensive gameplan and he’s VERY critical of the coaching staff (even questioned if they watched film), so some may not enjoy hearing it. I personally enjoying all of the podcasts.
For someone to question whether or not the coaches watched film is a bit off the edge. It's very easy to be couch coach.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lmduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Hythloday’s podcast is also interesting “It Never Rains On This Podcast”, though he isn’t so complimentary of the defensive gameplan and he’s VERY critical of the coaching staff (even questioned if they watched film), so some may not enjoy hearing it. I personally enjoying all of the podcasts.
For someone to question whether or not the coaches watched film is a bit off the edge. It's very easy to be couch coach.
I 100% agree, Hythloday gets way too emotional at least during podcasts with his analysis.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Let the record show that it was in fact a glow stick and the reason for why he wanted to make sure it stood upright is now apparent. It had a spiritual connection for Penix. :lol: