Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Re: Pac-12 CG: #5 Oregon v #3 Washington (Dec. 1, Fri 5 PM A

Post by pdxduck2013 »

There's some talk on Twitter about Will Stein returning to the state of Texas...possibly as the OC at Texas ATM. If true, last night is making a lot more sense now...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Those teams listed were good but never good enough, much like the Drexlar era Blazers. Fun to watch but never quite good enough to get there all the way. THe Chip and early Helf teams were fun and i loved the seasons, as i did this season, but those teams always got pounded by the big guys in the SEC....it was a coaching flaw. Lanning is changing that, we do have very good O and D lines, big and powerful. Some of you guys seem to forget this is Dan's second year, he is still dealing with Mario's and maybe a few slick Willie's players. I love what Dan is doing here and i for one believe he is possibly on his way to being Oregon's best football coach ever, judging on whathe has accomplished in just two years.

On a side note, it fascinates me on how different the minds of different people work. THese are simply examples not trying to derail this topic so back on topic, what fascinates me is how some people have such a strong belief in something while someone else is completely a 180 in their convictions. Such as Vacs or anti vacs, Trump or no Trump, the second amendment...... Dan Lanning! Some were so quick to through him under the bus last night. who knows why, emotions of the loss, alcohol and the keyboard? But it did disappoint me and was a bad way for me to end such a great season on. Some of you do not consider the facts, this is year two for a first time head coach who hasn't had a full recruiting cycle yet. some are quick to through him under the bus even if he gave us a two loss season and a top 10 team with no off the field problems involving the police, chip could not do that. enough of this rant, it was simply disappointing for me and left a sour taste in my mouth for enjoying such a great season. I can't wait until next season when some of you start comparing our new QB to Bo Nix not realizing how special he was.... SMH.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Georgia Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Georgia 8–5 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) W Liberty
2017 Georgia 13–2 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Rose†, L CFP NCG† 2 2
2018 Georgia 11–3 7–1 1st (Eastern) L Sugar† 8 7
2019 Georgia 12–2 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 4 4
2020 Georgia 8–2 7–2 2nd (Eastern) W Peach† 7 7
2021 Georgia 14–1 8–0 1st (Eastern) W Orange †, W CFP NCG† 1 1
2022 Georgia 15–0 8–0 1st (Eastern) W Peach†, W CFP NCG† 1 1
2023 Georgia 12–0 8–0 1st (Eastern)
Georgia: 93–15 56–9

Since we can all agree that Kirby Smart build a program that rivals Alabama it even took him a long time win the National Championship. Six years in fact. Lanning finished his second season. We love what he is building so I am willing to be patient.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:There's some talk on Twitter about Will Stein returning to the state of Texas...possibly as the OC at Texas ATM. If true, last night is making a lot more sense now...
Brennan Marion, come on up to Eugene buddy!
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:There's some talk on Twitter about Will Stein returning to the state of Texas...possibly as the OC at Texas ATM. If true, last night is making a lot more sense now...
If true don't think it has anything to do with last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:
Don't tempt me with a good time.
OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

That would be fine with me. Stein lacks creativity.

I hope that Lanning changes his philosophy and hires an experienced, proven OC. Washington has out coached and out schemed Oregon over the past 2 years. We need some top notch coordinators to go with our younger, great recruiting assistants.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

OregonDucks wrote:
That would be fine with me. Stein lacks creativity.

I hope that Lanning changes his philosophy and hires an experienced, proven OC. Washington has out coached and out schemed Oregon over the past 2 years. We need some top notch coordinators to go with our younger, great recruiting assistants.
he lacks a lot of things. I wanted him fired after last night and I still have that feeling now. It's a fairly vanilla offense that wins off a talent advantage. A talent advantage that I don't think he contributes much to. He's probably the first Lanning coordinator who turns out to be a flop.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Looks like Stein's offense ranked 2nd in the country this year behind LSU. So are we hoping to get the guy from LSU?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:Looks like Stein's offense ranked 2nd in the country this year behind LSU. So are we hoping to get the number 1 guy?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah Stein is a terrible hire. Some people’s kids.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phalanx wrote:Looks like Stein's offense ranked 2nd in the country this year behind LSU. So are we hoping to get the guy from LSU?
lol,
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Stein isn’t worth being fired BUT he isn’t amazing either, at least not yet.

He does lack creativity and I think it’s his flawed philosophy, “get players in open space” or whatever it was as his presentation. A lot of duck fans loved it but I hated it. It feels like he just calls plays and relies on the players to execute and be too talented for the defense, that’s not the job of the OC, it’s to see what the defense is giving and exploit it and make situations easier, not harder, for the offense. When faced with opposition this year the offense struggled and everything was difficult for the offense. Stein under-utilizes the passing game with very little misdirection and very uncreative routes for the receivers. I thought he’d learn his lesson after the first Husky game but I was wrong.

He’s still young and can get better but he needs to be a lot more creative and make it easier for his players to succeed.

I jokingly said last night if Will sticks around Lanning needs to block his vision of the scoreboard and make him believe the ducks are down 14 with 3 min to go all game long, cause when they’re most desperate is when he seems to actually utilize his players and they score easily.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Phalanx wrote:Looks like Stein's offense ranked 2nd in the country this year behind LSU. So are we hoping to get the guy from LSU?
Talent differential. Weak teams. All the offense did was beat up on a bunch of inferior teams and we're supposed to believe that Stein is a great OC? Just look at last night, all those 3 and outs. That's what matters. I couldn't care less about how many points we put up against PSU.

The offense doesn't show up when it matters. That's on the OC.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

StevensTechU wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Don't tempt me with a good time.
He would be the 3rd one and done OC in a row. Dude likes to job hop.
OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

ducks5ever wrote:
Talent differential. Weak teams. All the offense did was beat up on a bunch of inferior teams and we're supposed to believe that Stein is a great OC? Just look at last night, all those 3 and outs. That's what matters. I couldn't care less about how many points we put up against PSU.

The offense doesn't show up when it matters. That's on the OC.
Plus, Stein inherited the most experienced QB in college football history and a legitimate Heisman contender with a very good offensive line and weapons all over the field. Media and coaches praised how Bo was a coach on the field all year long.

I'd wait to sing Stein's praises until he's had time to show what he can do with another QB, preferably one that he has developed.