Portal Needs - 2024

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Portal Needs - 2024

Post by nogerO »

bellsduck wrote:Time to place your bets on Oregon for a NC
I’m ready.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

nogerO wrote:
I’m ready.
Depends on how our QB rental for next year pans out. :lol:
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

alxtw wrote:
nogerO wrote:
I’m ready.
Depends on how our QB rental for next year pans out. :lol:
I’m far less concerned about a QB who’s already an all time top 10 passer than a coach that’s a great recruiter but has only beaten one team that finished a season with less than four losses.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

webfoots2001 wrote: I’m far less concerned about a QB who’s already an all time top 10 passer than a coach that’s a great recruiter but has only beaten one team that finished a season with less than four losses.
Seriously? You have better feelings about a QB with a 16-9 record as a starter over the past 2 seasons than a coach with a 22-5 record over the same span, with three of those losses to eventual playoff winners and potential national champions?
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Phalanx wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote: I’m far less concerned about a QB who’s already an all time top 10 passer than a coach that’s a great recruiter but has only beaten one team that finished a season with less than four losses.
Seriously? You have better feelings about a QB with a 16-9 record as a starter over the past 2 seasons than a coach with a 22-5 record over the same span, with three of those losses to eventual playoff winners and potential national champions?
This staff is good at beating up bad teams. They always start slow and have to crawl back into games. It's fine against weaker competition, but can't expect to be a legit contender when you only show up for three quarters. Same thing with Stein always designing throws behind the line of scrimmage, it works great against the teams that can't tackle our backs--but the offense is simply not explosive versus good teams.

There are folks that like to bring up total scoring stats as a counter argument, but Lanning is a stat padder--most coaches won't let their teams drop 80 against a fcs school. Nix (and the first team offense) stayed in a lot of games well past the point where the outcome was determined. It skews the stats, can't take them at face value.

I'm still hopeful that Lanning can improve--he seems too young to be entirely stuck in his ways (and he doesn't come across with the same arrogance as say, Mario Cristobal) . But don't pretend that there aren't issues that need to be addressed.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

Phalanx wrote:
If you watched OU play the last two years and think he was the reason they lost those nine games it really isn’t worth continuing this conversation.

I do have concerns about a head coach and staff that can watch osu and WSU bottle up the uw offense on back to back weeks with far lesser defensive talent (even compared to our poor coverage safeties) yet the following week the huskies were able to do anything they wanted offensively against us.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I'd think if Stewart had committed there'd be an announcement by now.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

webfoots2001 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
If you watched OU play the last two years and think he was the reason they lost those nine games it really isn’t worth continuing this conversation.

I do have concerns about a head coach and staff that can watch osu and WSU bottle up the uw offense on back to back weeks with far lesser defensive talent (even compared to our poor coverage safeties) yet the following week the huskies were able to do anything they wanted offensively against us.
Seeing that Washington is undefeated and in the NCG, primarily due to their offense, I would think it's fair to say that nobody truly bottled them up.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Except Arizona State.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

squintsdd wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

Seeing that Washington is undefeated and in the NCG, primarily due to their offense, I would think it's fair to say that nobody truly bottled them up.
Each team held them to nearly 200 yards and two scores less than Oregon was able to in the championship game.
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

What are everyone's expectations for Kam Alexander? Is he starter material? Or more of a depth piece?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OG Duck wrote:What are everyone's expectations for Kam Alexander? Is he starter material? Or more of a depth piece?
He's going to be a potential starter. At worst, he's their 3rd or 4th CB. His PFF grade was higher than Khyree Jackson's and was named defensive MVP in UTSA's bowl game.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

webfoots2001 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

Each team held them to nearly 200 yards and two scores less than Oregon was able to in the championship game.
Penix had bruised/busted ribs playing against ASU (sustained against Oregon) and the UW team was riddled with the flu against OSU.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

webfoots2001 wrote:Each team held them to nearly 200 yards and two scores less than Oregon was able to in the championship game.
I wonder if the weather of those games had any factor in this or the number of healthy WRs? Probably not.

I bet if we played Penix in a rainstorm in Autzen we'd have won the game, seeing as how it took our own mistakes to lose on the road followed by playing in a stadium with all of their WRs back.