change

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

change

Post by Quietduck »

Given the amount of change between last year and this year how much change do you see in next year? Not individual players as a team. Will we grow as much or will we retreat some? Will be become more of an elite team or stay just a very good team? How much will Dan L change this team for next year??
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: change

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a slight down year next year as I truly believe Lanning is building something special at Oregon and had to start from the bottom, which is what’s making this season so extra impressive to me. But with the loss of a lot of top players and young stars coming in I see a few losses next year, but I could see the following two years being really special with how Lanning is recruiting. That’s just my opinion though.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Quarterback play is so huge that we’re sure to some step backwards after losing Nix. I think we’ll get a portal QB as well as a few surprises.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Man in the Portal and NIL era, who even knows when we'll have the end of season roster changes, the pre-spring ball changes, the post-spring ball changes followed by the summer girlfriend break-up transfer period but the one thing that does seem clear for next year...

Returning the OL, TE and RBs minus Bucky means we're going to have a deadly run game and give our QB a lot of easy pockets off play-action. (It also means that in 2025 we're likely breaking in a brand new starting 5 on the OL and our 2 TEs.)

We're #2 Offensively hitting 540 a game this year (351 pass (#1): 189 rush (#23)) and I think we could be top 5 rushing around 220+ but still maintain around a Top 20ish pass offense around 275. 500 Yards/Game usually is good for a Top 10 Offense most any year. We're 7 yards behind LSU but 36 yards ahead of #3 UNC to also show just how much of an outlier UO and LSU are.

We're #15 Defensively this year and next year, probably a Top 10 Defense, maybe even Top 5 when people realize what absolute garbage Offense the B1G plays. Ty Thompson is probably already a top 5 B1G QB fellas and end of year will make the All Accolades list. (USC's backup is probably top 3 sadly)

Ohio State at #37 is the highest ranked B1G offense this year and essentially played like the other OSU in yards and yards per play. I guess with Smith going to MSU you could argue that Oregon, USC, UW and Smith represent the 4 best offenses in the B1G with tOSU 5th and Chip Kelly 6th.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:Man in the Portal and NIL era, who even knows when we'll have the end of season roster changes, the pre-spring ball changes, the post-spring ball changes followed by the summer girlfriend break-up transfer period but the one thing that does seem clear for next year...

Returning the OL, TE and RBs minus Bucky means we're going to have a deadly run game and give our QB a lot of easy pockets off play-action. (It also means that in 2025 we're likely breaking in a brand new starting 5 on the OL and our 2 TEs.)

We're #2 Offensively hitting 540 a game this year (351 pass (#1): 189 rush (#23)) and I think we could be top 5 rushing around 220+ but still maintain around a Top 20ish pass offense around 275. 500 Yards/Game usually is good for a Top 10 Offense most any year. We're 7 yards behind LSU but 36 yards ahead of #3 UNC to also show just how much of an outlier UO and LSU are.

We're #15 Defensively this year and next year, probably a Top 10 Defense, maybe even Top 5 when people realize what absolute garbage Offense the B1G plays. Ty Thompson is probably already a top 5 B1G QB fellas and end of year will make the All Accolades list. (USC's backup is probably top 3 sadly)

Ohio State at #37 is the highest ranked B1G offense this year and essentially played like the other OSU in yards and yards per play. I guess with Smith going to MSU you could argue that Oregon, USC, UW and Smith represent the 4 best offenses in the B1G with tOSU 5th and Chip Kelly 6th.
Got any more of what you're smoking?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Name the B1G QBs who are clearly better.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:Name the B1G QBs who are clearly better.
Career stats for Ty. 297 yds, 4 TDs, 1 interception qbr 84 and many botched plays. Compare that to any returning Big QB.
Last edited by nogerO on Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Assuming Oregon finishes the year top 5 (a win over UW would sew that up), is there a more attractive destination for a transfer QB?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

73duck wrote:Assuming Oregon finishes the year top 5 (a win over UW would sew that up), is there a more attractive destination for a transfer QB?
Alabama + whoever has coaches you're familiar with + whoever pays the most
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

StevensTechU wrote:
73duck wrote:Assuming Oregon finishes the year top 5 (a win over UW would sew that up), is there a more attractive destination for a transfer QB?
Alabama + whoever has coaches you're familiar with + whoever pays the most
SEC bag men have big bags. See Georgia…
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Name the B1G QBs who are clearly better.
Career stats for Ty. 297 yds, 4 TDs, 1 interception qbr 84 and many botched plays. Compare that to any returning Big QB. I’ll wait….
That's this year, which indicates a massive uptick in play from him relative to his numbers from the previous 2 years.

Just by aggregate stats going into next year
#1 Sr - Kyle McCord 66% 3170 yards 9.1 avg 24:6
#2 Sr - Hudson Card 59% 2387 yards 6.5 avg 15:8
#3 So - Luke Altmeyer 65% 1883 yard 7.0 avg 13:10 (9 games)
#4 Sr - JJ McCarthy 74% 2483 yards 9.7 avg 19:4
#5 Jr - Drew Allar 61% 2336 yards 6.7 avg 23:1

https://bigten.org/stats.aspx?path=foot ... 23#passing

Yes, the B1G has an absolute farce of a QB play relative to what we are used to year in and year out. Nothing about that list makes me feel like Ty Thompson in the Oregon offense wouldn't obliterate a lot of those numbers. Further, the only 3 that are really "dangerous" in any way, also happen to play on the 3 best teams surrounded by the most amount of talent, the exact situation that Ty will be in.

But please, I always enjoy hearing you disparage the young Oregon Duck football players for not living up to your standard. So please elaborate more!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Anyone who has strong confidence in how good of a QB Ty is right now is either full of it or has access to a lot more inside info than the rest of us do. We've barely seen him since he was a true freshman two years ago. Time will tell, trust the coaches.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Maybe it was luck, but I thought that last TD pass Ty had was pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Xzxs4ZbzU (at just after the 9-minute mark)
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Tray Dub wrote:Anyone who has strong confidence in how good of a QB Ty is right now is either full of it or has access to a lot more inside info than the rest of us do. We've barely seen him since he was a true freshman two years ago. Time will tell, trust the coaches.
I think the issue is that the only people with "strong confidence" are those that have completely written Thompson off based on a couple of bad plays in limited time as a freshman. It's like people can't grasp the fact that guys can improve over time, despite evidence that he has clearly done so this year. There are just a few of us fighting back the notion that the Ducks absolutely need a transfer, and there's no chance they could have success with Thompson next year. It's also funny that absolutely nobody even mentions Novosad as an option for next year. That can be for 1 of 3 reasons, in my opinion:

1) They've done a similar assessment on Novosad, based on a few snaps as a true freshman. He has no chance to ever improve or start.
2) They don't think he'll be ready, because he'll only be a redshirt freshman. The irony in that would be that Thompson is being judged on mistakes he made a redshirt freshman with limited playing time.
3) They are concerned about starting the season with someone that has limited playing time, and is unproven. If that's the case, we might as well never recruit high schoolers and just pull from the portal, because eventually you have to take a risk that a guy is going to be capable of playing the position with limited prior game experience.

The problem is that with the intense interest in recruiting these days, people assume highly rated guys should be ready to contribute from Day 1, and that's not often the case. There are exceptions to the rule, but most guys won't contribute heavily the first couple of years on a deep squad. The transition for QBs from high school to college is even more stark than most positions, so very few guys should be seeing the field in their freshman season on a successful team, and it's not unusual for a guy to not have it completely figured out until year 3 or 4.

I don't know for certain that Thompson will step in and light it up next year, but I'm also not making the determination that he can't do it based on a couple of bad plays as a freshman.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

In the limited view we have had of Thompson this season, he seems vastly improved in several facets of his game.

I have no idea if he's QB1 material, but I'm willing to let the coaching staff make that decision.

I hope, if he is the choice, that a capable back up is waiting in the wings.

My inner Duck is still adjusting to the idea of not having my dreams shattered by a litany of injuries.

Guess that's what happens when you've followed the travails of Oregon Football since the mid sixties...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!