WR Ashton Cozart enters transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WR Ashton Cozart enters transfer portal

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon has their first portal casualty as FR WR Ashton Cozart has hit the transfer portal. Have to imagine there'll be some major turnover at WR.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: WR Ashton Cozart enters transfer portal

Post by Everythingsducky »

Kinda crazy timing. May have figured Holden will take over Troy’s spot next year. Could just be casting it out there looking for more NIL money. It’s going to be another crazy year for the portal. Free agency reigns supreme. But really? With the possibility of playing/winning the Natty? Announces now? Does he dislike Eugene and/or Adams?
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Everythingsducky wrote:Kinda crazy timing. May have figured Holden will take over Troy’s spot next year. Could just be casting it out there looking for more NIL money. It’s going to be another crazy year for the portal. Free agency reigns supreme. But really? With the possibility of playing/winning the Natty? Announces now? Does he dislike Eugene and/or Adams?
Pretty sure he hasn't played a down this season, so he likely won't be suited up for the remainder of the season. Transferring now vs. later wouldn't really matter for him other than he potentially gets more money before NIL money gets used up on other players.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This seems a little premature and early for him to make a decision like this.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:This seems a little premature and early for him to make a decision like this.
No, its that the Portal period of 30-days forces kids to make a decision as it closes on Jan 2 so you essentially HAVE to declare yourself from the get-go or risk not having a place to go.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

WR feels like a position with not a lot of certainty next season. The current contributors I can think of are Troy, Tez, Gary (kind of), and Traeshon (kind of). Troy is probably gone and it wouldn't surprise me if Tez moved on too (I know people on this board think it's an outlandish idea but I think it's still a possibility).

It doesn't look like we rotate a lot at WR during games, but there is very likely playing time up for grabs for next season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Timing suggests things just weren't a good fit. Doubt it's a monetary decision. Best of luck to him, and hope he has a great college career still.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:WR feels like a position with not a lot of certainty next season. The current contributors I can think of are Troy, Tez, Gary (kind of), and Traeshon (kind of). Troy is probably gone and it wouldn't surprise me if Tez moved on too (I know people on this board think it's an outlandish idea but I think it's still a possibility).

It doesn't look like we rotate a lot at WR during games, but there is very likely playing time up for grabs for next season.
Kyler Kasper has played in 10 games this year so if you want to see who seems to be the favorite to "take-a-step" he seems like the guy.

Kenyon Sadiq is another guy behind Ferguson/Herbert who in year 2 might be in line for some more packages as a WR to let the team play Hurry-up with different personnel.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Duck07 wrote: Kyler Kasper has played in 10 games this year so if you want to see who seems to be the favorite to "take-a-step" he seems like the guy.

Kenyon Sadiq is another guy behind Ferguson/Herbert who in year 2 might be in line for some more packages as a WR to let the team play Hurry-up with different personnel.
Thanks. That's good to know.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducks5ever wrote:WR feels like a position with not a lot of certainty next season. The current contributors I can think of are Troy, Tez, Gary (kind of), and Traeshon (kind of). Troy is probably gone and it wouldn't surprise me if Tez moved on too (I know people on this board think it's an outlandish idea but I think it's still a possibility).

Ok I’ll bite. Where do you think a 5”9 160lb WR is moving onto? A guy whose dream school growing up was UO.

That said I won’t be shocked if we land Ward and Kelly from WSU.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Ok I’ll bite. Where do you think a 5”9 160lb WR is moving onto? A guy whose dream school growing up was UO.

That said I won’t be shocked if we land Ward and Kelly from WSU.
I just think he has reasons to leave:
1. He's not going to have the same connection with whoever the next QB will be (even if it were Ty) [ie. stats might drop next season]
2. Bo brought him here and Bo is off to the NFL
3. I don't see how he can improve his stock by staying an extra season. Most of the nits on him have been about his stature and that can't be fixed with 1 more season.

I'm not the one to judge if he has a professional football career ahead of him. But if he does, he should strike while the iron is hot.

Of course, some reasons to stay are:
1. NIL money
2. Potential to improve his game with more development (potential is the key word)
3. He loves Oregon

All I'm saying is that I think he has valid reasons to move on after this season.