KeenanHowry15
Three Star Recruit

Puddles Featured On ESPN Commercial

Post by KeenanHowry15 »

KeenanHowry15
Three Star Recruit

Re: Puddles Featured On ESPN Commercial

Post by KeenanHowry15 »

It just came on during Monday Night Football.

Thats some good publicity i would say.
KeenanHowry15
Three Star Recruit

Post by KeenanHowry15 »

It works for me. I have a mac though.

Try getting to it from the page where i ripped the link from.

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index ... war-links/
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

After all those issues with videos and approved use of the Duck...? I assume that they got permission from Disney?
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

wheaton4prez wrote:After all those issues with videos and approved use of the Duck...? I assume that they got permission from Disney?
Disney owns ESPN....so yeah...they did
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

wheaton4prez wrote:After all those issues with videos and approved use of the Duck...? I assume that they got permission from Disney?
I'm pretty sure espn is Disney. It's a Disney production or whatever.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

So, why isn't puddles ever involved in any of the mascot challenges? I don't understand why Disney would not allow it. Seems like good publicity to me. I guess they probably want royalties.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Brophdog88 wrote:
Hah. That's right. I still haven't cemented the connection between Mickey Mouse and ESPN in my mind. :)

Still, hasn't the UO always explained it as a context issue? For example, "you can't use the Duck in that video because Disney has strict rules about how/when we use that image." How does that rationality not apply to a comical commercial that relates in no way to Donald Duck?
Brophdog88
Senior

Post by Brophdog88 »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Brophdog88 wrote:
Hah. That's right. I still haven't cemented the connection between Mickey Mouse and ESPN in my mind. :)

Still, hasn't the UO always explained it as a context issue? For example, "you can't use the Duck in that video because Disney has strict rules about how/when we use that image." How does that rationality not apply to a comical commercial that relates in no way to Donald Duck?
This was not done at the Universities request, but at ESPN's, and of course, there is no need for Disney to ask permission from Oregon to use Donald Duck's likeness, just the U of O brand itself to use the Universities logo, as Donald Duck himself can be used however Disney pleases.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Brophdog88 wrote:This was not done at the Universities request, but at ESPN's, and of course, there is no need for Disney to ask permission from Oregon to use Donald Duck's likeness, just the U of O brand itself to use the Universities logo, as Donald Duck himself can be used however Disney pleases.
The legal department responsible for Donald Duck's likeness is almost certainly independent of ESPN's team that makes these commercials. They would have had to gain approval just like anyone else, even though no rights would need to be gained.

The point remains. If it's ok with Disney for Donald Duck's likeness to be used in a sports commercial, why would they object to these other commercial uses (t-shirts, videos, etc.) related to sports that the UO has been saying is shaky ground?
Brophdog88
Senior

Post by Brophdog88 »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Brophdog88 wrote:This was not done at the Universities request, but at ESPN's, and of course, there is no need for Disney to ask permission from Oregon to use Donald Duck's likeness, just the U of O brand itself to use the Universities logo, as Donald Duck himself can be used however Disney pleases.
The legal department responsible for Donald Duck's likeness is almost certainly independent of ESPN's team that makes these commercials. They would have had to gain approval just like anyone else, even though no rights would need to be gained.

The point remains. If it's ok with Disney for Donald Duck's likeness to be used in a sports commercial, why would they object to these other commercial uses (t-shirts, videos, etc.) related to sports that the UO has been saying is shaky ground?
Yeah, but in this case, Donald Duck is being used to promote Disney (actually a Disney product), and they have coomplete control over what is done and how its done. In the event of a shirt video or other stuff, it is not intended to promote Disney but the University of Oregon, and with it being a recognizable Disney character in Donald Duck, Disney is worried about perception, cause Donald would still be a kids character.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Brophdog88 wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:

Yeah, but in this case, Donald Duck is being used to promote Disney (actually a Disney product), and they have coomplete control over what is done and how its done. In the event of a shirt video or other stuff, it is not intended to promote Disney but the University of Oregon, and with it being a recognizable Disney character in Donald Duck, Disney is worried about perception, cause Donald would still be a kids character.
I think that commercial promotes UO more than it promotes ESPN. It's in ESPN's interest to make shout-out commercials like that because it causes fans to identify them as a positive source for news (vs. an outlet that is biased against us). It's a smart PR move.

I'm not saying that I would expect them to approve any and all uses of the Duck. However, there are uses that seem to me to be no different in context than this commercial (from a viewers perspective), that were shot down.
Brophdog88
Senior

Post by Brophdog88 »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Brophdog88 wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:

I think that commercial promotes UO more than it promotes ESPN. It's in ESPN's interest to make shout-out commercials like that because it causes fans to identify them as a positive source for news (vs. an outlet that is biased against us). It's a smart PR move.

I'm not saying that I would expect them to approve any and all uses of the Duck. However, there are uses that seem to me to be no different in context than this commercial (from a viewers perspective), that were shot down.
meh, there are a lot of people who will watch the commercial and just see the this is Sportscenter, yeah, it caters to Oregon fans obviously, but in reality its just another of the this is sportscenter commercials involving mascots. Its nice as an Oregon fan, but overall, it doesn't make too much of a difference outside the Oregon region of interest.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Just like other Oregon focused commercials that use the Duck mascot wouldn't do anything for anyone outside of the Oregon region of interest. That ESPN made it doesn't affect the context.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »