Interesting Cam Ward article

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Cam Ward to Oregon?

That's what Duckswire's Zachary Neel reported earlier today. The story was republished (apparently without verification) by Yahoo Sports, but then the original article was removed. On Twitter, Neel said to disregard the article as it was not meant to be published.

https://twitter.com/zacharycneel/status ... 8254400879

I know these guys are more bloggers than journalists, but I've got to say -- during all my time in journalism, I only ever wrote stories early when I knew all they needed were a few key details plugged in. And we're talking just a handful of times over 10+ years in the business.

So, unless this guy's sources are terrible, this makes me think Ward to Oregon is a done deal and perhaps the story wasn't supposed to be published until after today. Hard to imagine going through the trouble of writing an article for something that you're not certain is happening.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Interesting Cam Ward article

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ward in our offense should be deadly.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I'm a little leery of ward. There were rumors of him having several NIL deals on the table prior to hitting the portal. If those are true, that would considered tampering, and I'd prefer Oregon stay away from a mess like that if the ncaa were to get involved
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

pezsez1 wrote:Cam Ward to Oregon?

That's what Duckswire's Zachary Neel reported earlier today. The story was republished (apparently without verification) by Yahoo Sports, but then the original article was removed. On Twitter, Neel said to disregard the article as it was not meant to be published.

https://twitter.com/zacharycneel/status ... 8254400879

I know these guys are more bloggers than journalists, but I've got to say -- during all my time in journalism, I only ever wrote stories early when I knew all they needed were a few key details plugged in. And we're talking just a handful of times over 10+ years in the business.

So, unless this guy's sources are terrible, this makes me think Ward to Oregon is a done deal and perhaps the story wasn't supposed to be published until after today. Hard to imagine going through the trouble of writing an article for something that you're not certain is happening.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

If true, would definitely be a bad look. Transfer portal isn’t officially open until 12/4. Guys are just now announcing they intend to go in there, so it would be obvious tampering if he’s already announcing going to Oregon.
OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Post by OregonDucks »

squintsdd wrote:I'm a little leery of ward. There were rumors of him having several NIL deals on the table prior to hitting the portal. If those are true, that would considered tampering, and I'd prefer Oregon stay away from a mess like that if the ncaa were to get involved

As long as it wasn't representatives for the University of Oregon, I think we'll be fine. There are always back channel communications between agents, friends, etc.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

He's a Grad Transfer at this point, yeah? If so, the Portal should already be open for GT's.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I know Zac personally. He does not have special Intel. Good "kid" (quite a bit younger than me but does have a wife and kid). He's not the world's best journalist, but mostly just a product of the system. The social-media-faux-journalism awards begin first with the most engagement, so these guys write things in advance and wait to hit publish. Definitely going to happen they guys click the wrong box and publish the wrong story every now and then.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:He's a Grad Transfer at this point, yeah? If so, the Portal should already be open for GT's.
You are correct. I wasn't aware that Grad Transfers weren't held to the transfer window before. Good call.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:I know Zac personally. He does not have special Intel. Good "kid" (quite a bit younger than me but does have a wife and kid). He's not the world's best journalist, but mostly just a product of the system. The social-media-faux-journalism awards begin first with the most engagement, so these guys write things in advance and wait to hit publish. Definitely going to happen they guys click the wrong box and publish the wrong story every now and then.
I don't fault him for accidentally posting it as I bet he's written articles saying Moore, DJU, and other players are transferring to Oregon. It's not just sports and social media that have articles ready to go as many websites/newspapers have writers keep updated obits on many celebrities, politicians, and other notable people.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I know Zac personally. He does not have special Intel. Good "kid" (quite a bit younger than me but does have a wife and kid). He's not the world's best journalist, but mostly just a product of the system. The social-media-faux-journalism awards begin first with the most engagement, so these guys write things in advance and wait to hit publish. Definitely going to happen they guys click the wrong box and publish the wrong story every now and then.
I don't fault him for accidentally posting it as I bet he's written articles saying Moore, DJU, and other players are transferring to Oregon. It's not just sports and social media that have articles ready to go as many websites/newspapers have writers keep updated obits on many celebrities, politicians, and other notable people.
Let's just say I enjoyed a nice Scotch this week :lol:
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:
The ill-timed obituaries are my favorite.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Man, I just don’t love this mercenary QB spin cycle we’re seeing across college football. I get that we can’t sit idly while all the other big boys land pro-ready super-seniors, but I will very much miss the days when you grew your own stars… stars that chose Oregon bc they wanted to be Ducks, not because we pay the best….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Screw the playoff. Let’s win the offseason! Bring on Ward!!
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

When is Ward set to announce or are there just rumblings he could be leaning Oregon's way?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

whosyourwally wrote:Man, I just don’t love this mercenary QB spin cycle we’re seeing across college football. I get that we can’t sit idly while all the other big boys land pro-ready super-seniors, but I will very much miss the days when you grew your own stars… stars that chose Oregon bc they wanted to be Ducks, not because we pay the best….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree more, it is most of the reason i am on the TT bandwagon, but this is the new era of college ball and we as fans have to adjust and accept it to be able to continue loving the sport..... i do hope they can fix "the team with the most money wins" thing though.