Potential players who sit out bowl game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Potential players who sit out bowl game

Post by greenyellow »

With Oregon now out of the CFP race and relegated to just a NY6 bowl (likely the Fiesta Bowl,) the question now comes as to who plays in the game. There's probably going to be a few people who hit the transfer portal but those are likely people who aren't contributing much. Here's who I could see legitimately sit out and prepare for the NFL:
Bo Nix
Bucky Irving
Troy Franklin
Terrance Ferguson
Ajani Cornelius
Brandon Dorlus
Khyree Jackson
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Potential players who sit out bowl game

Post by droop10 »

greenyellow wrote:With Oregon now out of the CFP race and relegated to just a NY6 bowl (likely the Fiesta Bowl,) the question now comes as to who plays in the game. There's probably going to be a few people who hit the transfer portal but those are likely people who aren't contributing much. Here's who I could see legitimately sit out and prepare for the NFL:
Bo Nix
Bucky Irving
Troy Franklin
Terrance Ferguson
Ajani Cornelius
Brandon Dorlus
Khyree Jackson
I hope Bo opts out. Nobody cares about the NY6 bowl result, and I’d like to see Ty get a shot to at least prove himself. I have a feeling they’re taking a transfer for next season, but at least give the kid a go. I’ll always be about using the bowl games to get young players playing time over winning a meaningless game. That said, if a guy really wants to stick with the team and play one last game, I can’t fault him.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

droop10 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:With Oregon now out of the CFP race and relegated to just a NY6 bowl (likely the Fiesta Bowl,) the question now comes as to who plays in the game. There's probably going to be a few people who hit the transfer portal but those are likely people who aren't contributing much. Here's who I could see legitimately sit out and prepare for the NFL:
Bo Nix
Bucky Irving
Troy Franklin
Terrance Ferguson
Ajani Cornelius
Brandon Dorlus
Khyree Jackson
I hope Bo opts out. Nobody cares about the NY6 bowl result, and I’d like to see Ty get a shot to at least prove himself. I have a feeling they’re taking a transfer for next season, but at least give the kid a go. I’ll always be about using the bowl games to get young players playing time over winning a meaningless game. That said, if a guy really wants to stick with the team and play one last game, I can’t fault him.
I've been vocal about TT, but I totally agree with you Droop-let's give him a chance to show us what he can do under real whole game circumstances. Maybe our staff has rescued him from the trash heap that is former 5* QB's. I hope he proves me wrong and we get on with the business of showing the BIG and the country who the big dogs in the conference really are next year. I have a feeling we at least split with Michigan and Ohio State next year and having a decent QB would really help.

Go DUCKS!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I haven't seen Ferguson on any draft list. JPJ would be a top 4 round pick if he came out, so theoretically him.

We'll see what Ty Thompson is made of in this game. The "He's come a long way and been so loyal" crowd will finally have their day in court against the "The offense stinks when he's in and he won't win us a natty" bunch.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd love to see Bo at QB one last time -- and I don't think these games are entirely meaningless -- but I'd also love to see Ty Thompson get a full game of action to see what he's actually made of.

I do think there's some value though in NY6 bowls. Those are heavily watched and they are high-profile matchups. Like if we could get Alabama in a NY6 bowl then that's a chance to show we can "finally beat a loaded SEC team" and stuff like that does matter.

But if we're not in a NY6 bowl then whatever, nobody cares and might as well use it to prepare for next season.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

droop10 wrote:
Bo Nix
Bucky Irving
Troy Franklin
Terrance Ferguson
Ajani Cornelius
Brandon Dorlus
Khyree Jackson
Really sucks this is where college football is at in 2023. I like the CFP but it's still a bit ridiculous that it's CFP or bust. We used to celebrate New Year's games and now they are tossed like the Idaho Potato Bowl.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

It would be awesome to see all of these guys decide to play in the bowl game and finish what they started on a high note with a bowl win.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I haven't seen Ferguson on any draft list. JPJ would be a top 4 round pick if he came out, so theoretically him.

We'll see what Ty Thompson is made of in this game. The "He's come a long way and been so loyal" crowd will finally have their day in court against the "The offense stinks when he's in and he won't win us a natty" bunch.
I want to see this guy get his chance.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:We'll see what Ty Thompson is made of in this game. The "He's come a long way and been so loyal" crowd will finally have their day in court against the "The offense stinks when he's in and he won't win us a natty" bunch.
I am with the "I want to see Ty" crowd, I really hope Bo sits, but i know he loves football so much he may not be able to. I am really cheering for Ty for the same reasons SteveU posted, he has come along way and has been the one loyal QB since he stepped on campus as a true freshman. If bo doesn't sit I hope TY at least gets plenty of meaniful minutes.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:I haven't seen Ferguson on any draft list. JPJ would be a top 4 round pick if he came out, so theoretically him.

I'm not sure that this one game against a highly ranked opponent would really be a fair assessment of what the Ducks have with Ty. He's never started a game in college. That, plus likely playing a top-10/12 team on national TV would be a LOT of pressure on him. That would be even more so if he has starters sitting out the game.

Hopefully Bo plays, but that remains to be seen.
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

SuperDuck wrote:

I'm not sure that this one game against a highly ranked opponent would really be a fair assessment of what the Ducks have with Ty. He's never started a game in college. That, plus likely playing a top-10/12 team on national TV would be a LOT of pressure on him. That would be even more so if he has starters sitting out the game.
The pressure that Ty will have is one of the reaons i hope he does get to play, at least two quarters, he needs the experience and especially experienc on the big stage. it won't get any easier with next seasons schedule and the bowl game s meaningless..... basically, be nice to win though. Also, judging from a lot of the posts after the game last night Ty is going to get ripped by some here no matter how he plays
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

The pressure that Ty will have is one of the reaons i hope he does get to play, at least two quarters, he needs the experience and especially experienc on the big stage. it won't get any easier with next seasons schedule and the bowl game s meaningless..... basically, be nice to win though. Also, judging from a lot of the posts after the game last night Ty is going to get ripped by some here no matter how he plays
I can already see the fans who'll rip him to shreds for not playing like Bo without all the surrounding talent that he had all season long against a likely top 10-15 opponent.
DuckBomb2
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckBomb2 »

Does NIL impact who plays in the bowl game? Like, do they have to play to get a game check? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Still not sure how the whole thing works.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckBomb2 wrote:Does NIL impact who plays in the bowl game? Like, do they have to play to get a game check? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Still not sure how the whole thing works.
Well this is where the Bowl's themselves can entice players to stay with their teams for the Bowl game by paying them to promote the bowl game/product but they can't make the contract be about playing in the game the way I understand the NIL rules.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

SuperDuck wrote:

Hopefully Bo plays, but that remains to be seen.
You don't know what kind of quarterback you have until you see them under pressure. Playing with 90% of the first string against quality competition is the ideal scenario for seeing if he's the guy in 2024.