Who will be our bowl opponent?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Who will be our bowl opponent?

Post by DuckzRule »

Many people are thinking it will be Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl, but we need to see if they lose to Georgia so we finally get an anticipated Ducks vs. Tide matchup, if the Tide wins against UGA, then I don't know who will we play.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Who will be our bowl opponent?

Post by Phalanx »

Liberty University.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Phalanx wrote:Liberty University.
Ew
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DuckzRule wrote:Many people are thinking it will be Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl, but we need to see if they lose to Georgia so we finally get an anticipated Ducks vs. Tide matchup, if the Tide wins against UGA, then I don't know who will we play.
I really don't want to play Alabama or Georgia. I think they're still a level above us, though the margin is much less than last year.

Penn State or Florida State probably wouldn't generate much interest from fans and maybe not players. Not much to accomplish there. Beat FSU without their starting QB is ho-hum. Beat Penn State and you'd have an argument for being 3rd best in the Big-10.

I also hope we don't get stuck with a game vs Tulane. That's a no win situation. We'd be expected to win handily and a loss would be devastating.

That said, a matchup against Ohio State or Texas would get some attention and would be competitive.
John 3:36
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

SuperDuck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:Many people are thinking it will be Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl, but we need to see if they lose to Georgia so we finally get an anticipated Ducks vs. Tide matchup, if the Tide wins against UGA, then I don't know who will we play.
I really don't want to play Alabama or Georgia. I think they're still a level above us, though the margin is much less than last year.

Penn State or Florida State probably wouldn't generate much interest from fans and maybe not players. Not much to accomplish there. Beat FSU without their starting QB is ho-hum. Beat Penn State and you'd have an argument for being 3rd best in the Big-10.

I also hope we don't get stuck with a game vs Tulane. That's a no win situation. We'd be expected to win handily and a loss would be devastating.

That said, a matchup against Ohio State or Texas would get some attention and would be competitive.
I'm afraid our roster will be devastated by players sitting out the game and guys leaving via the portal. Any bowl game with a depleted roster will be a disaster, except for the backups who get more game experience.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

nogerO wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

I'm afraid our roster will be devastated by players sitting out the game and guys leaving via the portal. Any bowl game with a depleted roster will be a disaster, except for the backups who get more game experience.
You may be right. I hope not, but if that is the case, our opponent will likely have players sitting out, as well.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

It's gonna be interesting to see how the NY6 selection goes.

Looks like the CFP and NY6 teams are going to be some combination of:
Georgia, Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, Oregon, Missouri, Penn State, Louisville/NC State, and Tulane/Liberty.

Texas doesn't want to play in the Cotton Bowl and will be ranked ahead of us if they beat Oklahoma State, so it will be interesting to see if they end up in the Peach Bowl against a team like Tulane or whether they go to the Fiesta Bowl against someone like Bama.

Also, looks like FSU will be playing with their 3rd string QB so on paper they look like the most likely CFP slotted team to lose today (if anyone does).

Personally, I think the Cotton Bowl would be very nice for us with Texas recruiting since the DFW area is churning out some elite guys right now. In that scenario, I think our opponent would likely be Missouri.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Considering Michigan and FSU won, I'm sure that we will actually end up facing either Alabama or Missouri in Arlington.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

This is pretty much a nightmare scenario for the SEC. They were really hoping for Oregon to win so they could whine that Alabama and Georgia should be ahead of the Ducks AND the Huskies. Since Washington stayed undefeated, as did FSU and Michigan, there is only one playoff spot left, and it will probably go to Texas. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the media over this. Prepare for arguments that the playoff will not produce a legitimate champion.

Meanwhile, this might work out well for a Ducks bowl game - if everyone still wants to play.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Looks like our bowl scenario will depend on whether Alabama is going to get left out of the playoffs or not, if they get left out, they will play against us, but if they get in (which I hope they don't), I don't know who will we play.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UGA or fsu in the fiesta.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

buckmarkduck wrote:UGA or fsu in the fiesta.
I don't think it's possible for us to play FSU. Highest ranked ACC team not in the playoff plays the highest ranked SEC or Big 10 team not in the playoff in the Orange Bowl.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:UGA or fsu in the fiesta.
I don't think it's possible for us to play FSU. Highest ranked ACC team not in the playoff plays the highest ranked SEC or Big 10 team not in the playoff in the Orange Bowl.
As the ACC champ, doesn't FSU have a Bowl tie in with the Orange Bowl unless they're in the playoffs?

Also, wouldn't Georgia be committed to the Sugar Bowl as the SEC #2?

I think we'll end up in the Fiesta Bowl, but I don't want any part of Georgia or Alabama. I wouldn't mind playing FSU, Ohio State, Missouri or Mississippi, though.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Yup, we got robbed of an Oregon vs. Alabama game AGAIN!
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

My guess for NY 6:
Peach: Penn State vs. Ole Miss
Orange: FSU vs. Georgia
Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Liberty or SMU
Cotton: Oregon vs. Missouri