Will Stein Rumors

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Will Stein Rumors

Post by SuperDuck »

I saw in a different thread that Will Stein wants to go back to Texas. He may feel out of his element in Eugene. I know I did when I lived in the midwest.

It's being talked about here and a couple other places.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3428120
John 3:36
squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Will Stein Rumors

Post by squintsdd »

I will never ever believe anything from a aTm site
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

This is the same TAMU site that said Dan's house in Eugene had been listed and that his wife wanted very much to move to College Station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

There were a couple other sites, too, but I'll take it with a grain of salt until I hear otherwise.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

squintsdd wrote:I will never ever believe anything from a aTm site
THIS

And if an OC wants to be a HC UO and taOSU have probably produced the most HC in the last 30 years. A&M can’t say that
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't mind Will Stein, but he also doesn't strike me as an epic playcaller. I'm sure he'll do fine here as long as we have someone good at QB, but I'm also confident we could find someone to equal his production. Lanning has a knack for making solid hires.

I also wonder if Stein were to depart whether that could help us bring in an unexpected QB transfer, kind of like how getting Dillingham helped us land Nix.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Wouldn't care if we loss Stein. We could get a better OC and the players only had one year under him and could easily start from square one again.

Bummed that Kenny didn't stick around. Bo&co. would have had two years under him and we probably beat UW and be in the CFP now. We comfortably beat UW last year (if Bo didn't get injured) with a significantly worst defense than we had this year.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

alxtw wrote:Wouldn't care if we loss Stein. We could get a better OC and the players only had one year under him and could easily start from square one again.

Bummed that Kenny didn't stick around. Bo&co. would have had two years under him and we probably beat UW and be in the CFP now. We comfortably beat UW last year (if Bo didn't get injured) with a significantly worst defense than we had this year.
Multiple reasons I'd prefer Stein to stay.

1) I'll take Stein any day over Dillingham. At least Stein is willing to take shots down field.

2) we wouldn't beat Washington comfortably. Bo doesn't play defense, and it's hardly Stein's fault for that loss. We lost that game because of defense. It can also be argued that Dillingham's play calling is what Oregon in the position they were in. Relying on Nix to run so much is what got him hurt.

3) Oregon doesn't need to be known as a school with a revolving door for coaches. We were already getting that reputation with head coaches before Lanning. Top tier offensive players aren't going to want to go to a school when they have to constantly learn a new offense.

4) Stein just had one of the best offenses in college football and was one of the best and most coveted OCs out of UTEP. Saying we could get a better OC is just dumb
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

squintsdd wrote:
alxtw wrote:Wouldn't care if we loss Stein. We could get a better OC and the players only had one year under him and could easily start from square one again.

1) I'll take Stein any day over Dillingham. At least Stein is willing to take shots down field.

2) we wouldn't beat Washington comfortably. Bo doesn't play defense, and it's hardly Stein's fault for that loss. We lost that game because of defense. It can also be argued that Dillingham's play calling is what Oregon in the position they were in. Relying on Nix to run so much is what got him hurt.

3) Oregon doesn't need to be known as a school with a revolving door for coaches. We were already getting that reputation with head coaches before Lanning. Top tier offensive players aren't going to want to go to a school when they have to constantly learn a new offense.

4) Stein just had one of the best offenses in college football and was one of the best and most coveted OCs out of UTEP. Saying we could get a better OC is just dumb
We played no team this year with a top 15 defense and only two opponent that had a top-75 defense (depleted Utah defense). When we faced the best defensive lineup we've encountered all season on the field (UW last weekend's version) how did we fare?

Saying "Stein just had one of the best offenses in college football" is delusional and not thinking we could get a better OC is simply "just dumb".
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

squintsdd wrote:

4. Is false. He was a co oc at UTSA, and not really that coveted . And Lanning has proven he cal land great OC. Not worried when we need to replace any assistant. But I doubt we lose stein to a parallel job.

As for revolving door of coaches. Bama goes through assistants about every two years. It’s not unusual for assistants to take a promotion at another school
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

alxtw wrote:
We played no team this year with a top 15 defense and only two opponent that had a top-75 defense (depleted Utah defense). When we faced the best defensive lineup we've encountered all season on the field (UW last weekend's version) how did we fare?

Saying "Stein just had one of the best offenses in college football" is delusional and not thinking we could get a better OC is simply "just dumb".
I just want to point out the equivocation in this post. You say that Oregon didn't face any top 15 defenses. How do you know this? If you are using rankings based on statistics, how then can you not admit that Stein's offense was 2nd best in the whole nation based on the same measures?
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

4. Is false. He was a co oc at UTSA, and not really that coveted . And Lanning has proven he cal land great OC. Not worried when we need to replace any assistant. But I doubt we lose stein to a parallel job.

As for revolving door of coaches. Bama goes through assistants about every two years. It’s not unusual for assistants to take a promotion at another school
Oregon is not Alabama. Alabama also has proven stability at the head coaching position. Oregon has proven stability at very few, if any, coaching positions. Hopefully that will change as time goes on.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Phalanx wrote:
alxtw wrote:

I just want to point out the equivocation in this post. You say that Oregon didn't face any top 15 defenses. How do you know this? If you are using rankings based on statistics, how then can you not admit that Stein's offense was 2nd best in the whole nation based on the same measures?
Its a combination of on paper(statistics) we didnt face that great defenses and on the field, when faced with a formable defense, like UW last week, we struggled. So our #2 offense is skewed and not one of the best offenses. Conclusion…stein inherited a great qb and veteran offense group. Lets see what he can do next year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Once again the Pac 12 was easily the best Conference in the nation for Offense, which will easily skew our defensive stats as a league

Oregon #1
USC #3
washington #5
Arizona #16
Oregon State #23

Similarly, the B1G was easily the best Conference in the nation for Defense, which was heavily skewed by the complete lack of quality QBs that made up the league.

Iowa #1
Michigan #2
Ohio State #3
Penn State #4
Wisconsin #6
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

1. We have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. To be frank, it's difficult to see this offense do much worse with what we had

2. Speaking of the talent that he relies on, I'm not aware that he is directly involved in restocking the cupboard (to speak metaphorically)

3. There are very few OC's who manage to call games well from the sidelines. You just can't see stuff as well from the sidelines, which leads to:

4. 2nd half adjustments. Did the ducks ever make meaningful 2nd half adjustments on offense when we needed to, or are we supposed to just stick to some "identity" and thus never make adjustments?

5. Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit and he made an average Bo into a heisman candidate. But given Bo's completion rate, I don't think Bo was the problem here.