Why I think Oregon FTBL could still schedule strong teams

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Why I think Oregon FTBL could still schedule strong teams

Post by DuckzRule »

This is something I posted on another Duck forum:

"Most people here want our Ducks to stop scheduling teams like the ones belonging in the SEC or Big 12 after we join our new conference, with the entire-non conference schedule instead being filled with teams like our former Pac-12 foes and very, very local FCS and G5 teams.

I would definitely get the situation...if it was related to our non-conference basketball and baseball schedules.

For football, I do think Oregon could do just fine scheduling teams like Alabama and Clemson, even though Power 5 games against Utah or the Arizona schools wouldn't hurt either, the reason? Oregon's football schedule doesn't have to rely heavily on traveling despite our Big Ten move, because usually two of our non-conference games are played in Autzen Stadium, some seasons have even featured three non-conference home games, for other sports like basketball and baseball I do understand since they have more regular season games than football and hence more traveling issues.

And for those who think it would make our schedule even harder and more impossible to compete for a natty, just remember that the playoffs will be expanded to 12 teams, meaning it will be much easier for Oregon to compete there, so that's why I think Oregon can still schedule teams like Bama without being affected negatively, albeit my preference would be to schedule diverse P5 opponents, have an annual game against Oregon State and a Big Sky FCS team, so that way, everyone wins."
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Why I think Oregon FTBL could still schedule strong team

Post by SuperDuck »

DuckzRule wrote:This is something I posted on another Duck forum:

"Most people here want our Ducks to stop scheduling teams like the ones belonging in the SEC or Big 12 after we join our new conference, with the entire-non conference schedule instead being filled with teams like our former Pac-12 foes and very, very local FCS and G5 teams.

I would definitely get the situation...if it was related to our non-conference basketball and baseball schedules.

For football, I do think Oregon could do just fine scheduling teams like Alabama and Clemson, even though Power 5 games against Utah or the Arizona schools wouldn't hurt either, the reason? Oregon's football schedule doesn't have to rely heavily on traveling despite our Big Ten move, because usually two of our non-conference games are played in Autzen Stadium, some seasons have even featured three non-conference home games, for other sports like basketball and baseball I do understand since they have more regular season games than football and hence more traveling issues.

And for those who think it would make our schedule even harder and more impossible to compete for a natty, just remember that the playoffs will be expanded to 12 teams, meaning it will be much easier for Oregon to compete there, so that's why I think Oregon can still schedule teams like Bama without being affected negatively, albeit my preference would be to schedule diverse P5 opponents, have an annual game against Oregon State and a Big Sky FCS team, so that way, everyone wins."
I'm not saying that we shouldn't schedule powerful non-conference teams, but I think the AD needs to look at our future schedule very carefully before doing so.

I'm looking at things like "do we already play Michigan, OSU, Penn State, Iowa, USC and UW?" It has to be looked at beforehand in order to avoid having potentially 5-6 potential Top-15 teams on our schedule. Look at Penn State. I don't see them scheduling too many high powered non-conference teams. It's because they already play a loaded conference schedule.

The SEC is going to be even more top heavy with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi, and Tennessee, with Oklahoma and Texas joining next year.

Would we really want to schedule a home and home series with an upper echelon SEC team when we'll already have a monster schedule to navigate?

I'd even be concerned about scheduling Utah, Arizona, Okie State or another good Big-12 school.

I'm not totally against it, but the objective is to win as many games as possible. If we avoid powerful non-conference teams, we'll likely have enough wins to make the playoff and play them then, rather then shooting ourselves in the foot.
John 3:36