Gabriel to UO!!!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

73duck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Gabriel to UO!!!

Post by 73duck »

A lot of Nix's horizontal scrambling came when he had a clean pocket, nobody open, and finally a defender broke through, and Nix would run away from that guy; works real well when you have a historically great OL. The best "vertical scrambler" I remember was Joey Harrington; he was uncanny re decisions to step up in the pocket when it was collapsing. And then there was Masoli, who just trucked the bad guys. Gabriel looks like he can do all of those things.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Biggest thing I'm gonna have to get used to is Gabriel not having the same NFL arm that we've seen over the last decade. Going back to 2000, the only player who I would say he has a stronger arm than us Darron Thomas, and would be a debate with Anthony Brown and Masoli. So it's going to look a little different, I think. He's proven to be highly effective so let's just hope he stays in good health and we keep a great OL in front of him.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Biggest thing I'm gonna have to get used to is Gabriel not having the same NFL arm that we've seen over the last decade. Going back to 2000, the only player who I would say he has a stronger arm than us Darron Thomas, and would be a debate with Anthony Brown and Masoli. So it's going to look a little different, I think. He's proven to be highly effective so let's just hope he stays in good health and we keep a great OL in front of him.

I see the narrative that Masoli didn’t have a strong arm. That’s false. He had a strong arm, just wasn’t accurate deep with it. Also, if we are going back to 2000, no one has had a weaker arm than Harrrington.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Biggest thing I'm gonna have to get used to is Gabriel not having the same NFL arm that we've seen over the last decade. Going back to 2000, the only player who I would say he has a stronger arm than us Darron Thomas, and would be a debate with Anthony Brown and Masoli. So it's going to look a little different, I think. He's proven to be highly effective so let's just hope he stays in good health and we keep a great OL in front of him.

I see the narrative that Masoli didn’t have a strong arm. That’s false. He had a strong arm, just wasn’t accurate deep with it. Also, if we are going back to 2000, no one has had a weaker arm than Harrrington.
Roper and Kempt come to mind but I can see why y'all washed that from memory.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> no one has had a weaker arm than Harrington.

You don't go #3 in the draft if you can't make all the throws. I thought Thomas had a decent arm, too.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:[

Roper and Kempt come to mind but I can see why y'all washed that from memory.[/quote]

Only comparing to regular starters. I don't care how someone compares to Taylor Alie, for example.

I beg to differ on Masoli. It's not that he didn't have a strong arm, it's that he didn't have Herbert/Adams/Clemens/etc arm. Nearly every regular starter Oregon has had for over twenty years has had an NFL arm. There's a handful of CFL arms behind those ones, and the only Arena League arm is DT.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I watched two highlight reels. He’s a scrappy and fun player to watch.

Biggest cons:
-He probably underthrew the majority of his deep passes.
-Often he threw to his first read or eyed only one player.

It would actually be cool to watch someone break down a game or two of the good and bad.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I watched two highlight reels. He’s a scrappy and fun player to watch.

Biggest cons:

It would actually be cool to watch someone break down a game or two of the good and bad.
Sounds like something that is perfect for FishDuck. To this day, I still enjoy watching videos that Charles put out a decade ago during the Chip Kelly era.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I watched two highlight reels. He’s a scrappy and fun player to watch.

Biggest cons:

Sounds like something that is perfect for FishDuck. To this day, I still enjoy watching videos that Charles put out a decade ago during the Chip Kelly era.
I miss his stuff as well. I never played so the verbiage can be super confusing to me at times. I would watch his posts to get the "Football for dummies" version of film breakdowns.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

There's clearly a problem here. He's left-handed, which means the rotation of the balls he throws will be in the opposite direction, totally screwing up most receivers.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They'll get used to after a few practices so it'll be a non-factor once the season starts.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

Greenblood wrote:There's clearly a problem here. He's left-handed, which means the rotation of the balls he throws will be in the opposite direction, totally screwing up most receivers.
Must.. resist.. the bait…
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

webfoots2001 wrote:
Greenblood wrote:There's clearly a problem here. He's left-handed, which means the rotation of the balls he throws will be in the opposite direction, totally screwing up most receivers.
Must.. resist.. the bait…
Indeed -- I was being silly. I do, however, recall that being an actual question for an NFL receiver long ago, perhaps in relation to the late great Kenny Stabler.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I remember it being mentioned during the Steve Young years, but it seemed to work out okay for him.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

By that same logic, wouldn't it be also harder on most defenders to intercept him?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13