MBB: Cal @ Oregon (Jan. 13, Sat 5 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

MBB: Cal @ Oregon (Jan. 13, Sat 5 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

JAN 13 (SAT) 5 PM
CALIFORNIA
EUGENE, OR
TV: PAC-12 NETWORK
greenyellow

Re: MBB: Cal @ Orego n (Jan. 13, Sat 5 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

Greenblood
Senior

Re: MBB: Cal @ Orego n (Jan. 13, Sat 5 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by Greenblood »

While I'll be disappointed if the Ducks don't win comfortably at MKA -- especially given their modest win streak, long rest, presumably more Mookie and if Dante is back for some minutes -- I think it goes without saying that the Ducks can't afford to take anyone lightly. The Bears did lose in a near home game to UTEP, a team the Ducks beat handily,. But they also soundly beat Santa Clara in Berkeley, whom the Ducks lost to in Florida, and just beat UCLA at Pauley, while the Ducks struggled to beat the Bruins at MKA.

I so want to start feeling a little optimistic as the Ducks supposedly return to health, but I'm just afraid someone else will get injured or someone will get re-injured.
greenyellow

Re: MBB: Cal @ Oregon (Jan. 13, Sat 5 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

Cal recently got a couple guys back from injury they didn't have in their earlier losses so that explains them beating Santa Clara and UCLA after losing to UTEP.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

greenyellow wrote:Cal recently got a couple guys back from injury they didn't have in their earlier losses so that explains them beating Santa Clara and UCLA after losing to UTEP.
Thanks. Further confirming my point to not take the Bears lightly just because they're 5-10. Currently hosting Colorado, btw
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Dante and Bittle being out for warmups is a nice surprise.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Offense struggling so far, feels a bit like this team has relied on hot shooting a little too much and now that they’re cold they’re struggling to find any sort of rhythm. There’s a lack of off-ball movement that will need to improve as the season goes on.

It also doesn’t help that Oregon’s pick and roll defense is lacking and Cal is making everything.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Cook is healthy and Dante is healthy now, why does Altman continue to insist on this lineup with Evans as the only big? I like Evans but he cannot guard a true big. When this lineup is in opponents have gotten way too way buckets inside.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Talk about a response by Oregon before halftime. They finally played some tough defense and then started hitting threes like they did against WSU last weekend. Being down only 4 after trailing by 18 is a much better position to be in.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks have the lead and are playing some much tighter defense than they were in the first half.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks move to 5-0 in league play with the 80-73 win over Cal. Amazing how quickly they were able to erase an 18 point deficit and turn it into a lead they never relinquished. It was good to see Dante get some decent playing time but he's still got a long ways to go with his conditioning and feel after being out so long. Highlight of the game was Oquendo's posterizing dunk in the 2nd half.
ElPatoLoco
One Star Recruit

Post by ElPatoLoco »

Go Ducks. It was nice to see Dante. He was a force on D and is a difference maker in rebounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Oquendo’s dunk was ridiculous. One of the best dunks I’ve seen in a long time. On another note, Cook hardly played, recorded zero stats, which is unfortunate. Shelstad continues to be rock solid and steady. I’d say he has already outperformed his mentor, PP, at this point in his first year. Dude just seems to get it.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Looked like Altman was force feeding Dante minutes in the second have to get him into game shape. He was a long ways from his norm and having Evans in might have been better for the offense this game but they got the win and he got a chance to find his game legs for the mountain trip. A good outcome.

Very entertaining game to watch.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Everythingsducky wrote:Oquendo’s dunk was ridiculous. One of the best dunks I’ve seen in a long time. On another note, Cook hardly played, recorded zero stats, which is unfortunate. Shelstad continues to be rock solid and steady. I’d say he has already outperformed his mentor, PP, at this point in his first year. Dude just seems to get it.
It seems like Oquendo and Tracey are steadily improving and growing their roles, and with Dante back, I’m not sure where Cook and Evans will find consistent minutes. In the short term, that’s fine, but it feels like we’re setting ourselves up to turn our whole roster over again in the offseason between graduation and disappointed/disappointing freshmen. That said, you can’t really blame Altman for riding the guys that give them the best chance to win now. Just hard to navigate the current CBB landscape. Not a lot of Bittles out there who want to stick around and develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk